• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rollwagen no. 28 of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale

Started by Hydrostat, February 16, 2014, 12:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

What a great solution!

Are you casting them or is a vendor doing the casting? metal I assume?

-Marty

Hydrostat

Thanks, Guys,

Quote from: lab-dad on July 16, 2015, 04:57:43 AM
What a great solution!

Are you casting them or is a vendor doing the casting? metal I assume?

-Marty

I'll have them brass or nickel silver casted by a vendor. My (meanwhile somewhat older)  provider said that he was able to cast parts down to 0.6 mm diameter (which means that he's got difficulties waxing thinner parts). The splint diameter is 0.5 mm and so the single bent parts are 0.5 high and about 0.2 wide. We'll see  8).

Does anybody know a provider for smaller diameters? Would be very interesting.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

Hi,

I'm still waiting for the cast parts, so let's have a brief look at the state of affairs:

9 of 11 frames are soldered to their base plates and the bogie crossmembers. 6 bogies are mounted. Next were the buffer cages with their cover lids, which are etched from 0.2 mm brass. The cages are milled from 1 mm brass by Frithjof; I had to anneal them before bending to avoid breakage. Right hand are the uncleaned soldered parts, equipped with screw imitations.

This time I was able to use the RSU with good results. First I filled the channeling with solder and then applied the lids, which was easy because of the pre drilled holes for the screw imitations. For soldering I fixed them with
a hair clip.

The crossmembers claimed abit more sophistication. I constructed a jig and Frithjof milled its parts from Aluminum and Pertinax. There are 1 mm wide slots in front and behind of the aluminum blocks (likewise at their sides), which provide exact positioning using some inserted aluminum plates. Again I had good results with the RSU. The aluminum blocks prevent the Pertinax plate from heat attrition. The bubbles are the result of my first attempt with a flambé torch.

The parts will be mounted after final paint but that's how they belong to each other. Or so.

Cheers,
Volker

Allan G

I keep returning to this project and review each page in disbelief. INCREDIBLE!!!! Allan

finescalerr

Yes. Once again I find myself reeling in stunned disbelief. -- Russ

5thwheel

Absolutely consistent beautiful looking work. I have missed something along the line, what is RSU?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Design-HSB

Quote from: 5thwheel on September 19, 2015, 08:00:56 AM
what is RSU?
Hi Bill, RSU = Resistor soldering unit.

I also just finished small parts for the "Rollwagen" and think Volker will I imagine shortly under the construction progress.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Thanks, guys.

Quote from: 5thwheel on September 19, 2015, 08:00:56 AM
Absolutely consistent beautiful looking work. I have missed something along the line, what is RSU?

Bill, it's a resistance soldering unit. My experience with it was that it doesn't suit for steel parts and rather big areas / thick diameters. But with the 0.5 mm components of the crossmembers or the 0.2 mm lids at the cages it works very good. I have both a carbon electrode with an additional terminal and a tweezer, which you can see in two of the pictures soldering the cage. The crossmembers were soldered with the carbon electrode.

Volker

Lawton Maner

What kind of milling centre do you have to produce those intricate parts?

Hydrostat

None! I'm a kitchen table tinkerer. My friend Frithjof (it's the 'Feldbahnmodule with ship' guy; see http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1424.0) mills all the parts based on my CAD.

Hydrostat

Hi,

a shipment with some spindle parts arrived yesterday. Those are for the brake shoes, but the spindle nuts are still missing. They'll be made out of a milled brass part and a short silver steel rod, which is brazed into the milled part. Subsequently the threads are going to be cut, but I'll show that on occasion. The spindles have M2 x 0,25 threads and I'd let a precision workshop make them.

These are the spindles for the brake:

That's what they looked like before I treated them with Gravoxide and water  :):

I used a simple jig for brazing the rods to the cast brass handwheels. For those rather small parts I like to use brazing paste which one can easily dispense.

Cheers,
Volker