• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rollwagen no. 28 of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn in 1/22.5 scale

Started by Hydrostat, February 16, 2014, 12:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure if I'm pushing outer limits. Hard to imagine nobody had this idea before.

Volker 
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

nk

Volker, this is really wonderful work, with every detail being depicted as if you have some special Shrink-Ray gun. Thanks for sharing this is really good to see.
N
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Quote from: nk on June 23, 2014, 01:20:42 PM
Volker, this is really wonderful work, with every detail being depicted as if you have some special Shrink-Ray gun. Thanks for sharing this is really good to see.
N

Narayan, I HAVE a special Shrink-Ray gun from my Klingon friends. So much about modeling. Unfortunately the prototypes often are a bit too coarse for my sense of taste.

There are some more parts. This is the axle bearing,

with the cast-on section on the seating,

and the upper and lower suspension parts of the binder pendulums; this is the upper one, which is seated sideways of the bogy:

The ball cup in the bolt serves as bearing for the binder pendulum:

This is the lower part, which is seated in the frame's crossbeam. It's still missing it's bolt with the ball cup. The wagon clings to the bogies.

Frithjof milled the binder pendulums. They'll get some additional rivet screws with half rounded heads as counterparts to the ball cups. Thanks again for all, Frithjof - and for dedicating the following three pictures to me!

I started soldering the bogies. The binder pendulums will be seated beneath the longitudinal opennings. The bogies will get a water jet cut core from brass, which carries the first shown cast part.

The mudflaps and the square cover have 0.8 mm wrench width bolt imitations.

I used resistance soldering aside of the square cover. I feel thet resistance soldering isn't suitable for bigger areas so I used the flame. At the second bogie it worked without warpage. 8)

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

WOW - as usual...
I am glad someone is finding time to model, and at this level holy moley!
I would kill for a few of those bearing journals in 1/16th!  ;D

-Marty

Hydrostat

Thanks, Ray, Russ and Marty,

Quote from: lab-dad on July 03, 2014, 05:15:03 AMI would kill for a few of those bearing journals in 1/16th!  ;D
-Marty

please don't. It's not worth it. Maybe I can scale the file for your needs and upload it at shapeways and you may then get them from there as brass parts?

M1.2 screws with half round head had to be soldered into the binder pendulums which Frithjof milled for me. The 2.0 mm diameter head isn't completely half round. Frithjof, Helmut and me discussed this a lot but we didn't find an easier and affordable solution. Originally I wanted to use steel rods, but the rounding tools we have aren't suitable for material and quantity. Any suggestions for halfrounded 2.0mm parts?

A tweezer helped to solder the parts.

The half rounded head is the counterpart to the upper and lower supporting bolt

with an according ball cup; here's the upper bogie part.

For size comparison:

Cheers,
Volker

fspg2

Hello Volker,

A little update from my side.
From a colleague I got the waterjet-cutted trunnion holding pieces a few days ago.
The plates were 8mm thick. First I milled them to the final thickness of 7mm.
All visible holes and the contour were cut with a 0.4 mm thick water jet.

Then several holes were to be drilled at both sides.

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_01 (fspg2)

For this I milled two shoes of brass so that I could push them to the trunnion holding pieces from above.

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_02 (fspg2)

Thereby I could determine the correct positions for the holes to be drilled.

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_03 (fspg2)

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_04 (fspg2)

Finally the brass plates got a 1.9mm deep hole drilled with a 5mm cutter.

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_05 (fspg2)

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_06 (fspg2)

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_07 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Hydrostat

Hi,

thanks to Frithjof the first drilled and sandblasted bogy cores arrived yesterday. Oh boy, this guy is so good with his machinery. I think he must be milling his breakfast toast. Each morning. Including butter and jam ;D. The water jet cutting is very precise, even with the 0.6 mm holes, but one can see some cutting marks on straight surfaces (see Frithjof's picture):

Drehzapfenhaltestueck_04 (fspg2)

The same at the sandblasted piece:

I don't want to have those marks on the visible surfaces so I used a sanding block to get rid of them.

Then I wanted to know if everything fits together and screwed the upper and lower sheets with the axle bearings to the core. One can also see the pivot ball joint.

So precise the cnc milled parts are, so unpredictable are the cast parts if a tenth is the point. Especially shrinkage and mold separation have big influence on that. Fortunately everything fits closely enough.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Perhaps nothing is truly "perfect" but that assembly comes about as close as humanly possible.

Incidentally, more of us should collaborate with each other. Look at the results.

Russ

Hydrostat

Quote from: finescalerr on October 14, 2014, 01:44:11 AM
Incidentally, more of us should collaborate with each other. Look at the results.
Russ

Thanks, Russ. I forgot to mention that at another place: This collaboration is the result of knowing each other from our forum participation. I'm sure we wouldn't have met otherwise. Yes, that's a real value.

Volker

NE Brownstone

I want some of those bearing castings!  I have no use for them, but they look so good I just want to have some to put up on my "shelf of cool things".  I love watching you metal working modelers.  Awesome.
Russ
The other, other Russ

Chuck Doan

Sometimes I am afraid to look at a new post of yours, Volker. But then I do.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

Hi Russ (the other, other one),

Quote from: NE Brownstone on October 14, 2014, 10:50:02 AM
I want some of those bearing castings!

please send me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: Juke Joint on October 14, 2014, 12:08:30 PM
Skills off the chart!

Thanks, Philip, but my portion was development and CAD construction and will be assembly and finish of the item. All parts are made by friends and contractors. This is going to be a batch of 11 wagons. Selling most of them is a way to afford the costs for development (which is time first of all), prototyping, castings and cnc machining, which would (at least for me) be far too high for one sole model.

Quote from: Chuck Doan on October 14, 2014, 09:56:51 PM
Sometimes I am afraid to look at a new post of yours, Volker. But then I do.

Come on, Chuck, don't tell me you're intimidated  :D. Good one! I would be happy to reach your unsurpassed realism.

Volker