• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

QuoteI feel so intimidated with all you top notch modellers posting all this great stuff that I am reluctant to show my feeble efforts .

B.llsh.t

You are just too lazy to show your fantastic work.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

jacq01

I never paid much attention to the size of the figures I used for comparisson, untill I receiced some 1:48 figures.
  Looking at the figures used, they turned out to be Phoenix O scale figures.  And here we go again like on the larger scales from 1:22,5 to 1:32
  there is a large variaty in O scale figures.

O scale in Europe is mainly 1:43.5  ( 2 x H0 )  and since Lenz brought out their O size stuff we have also 1:45.
  O size in the US is 1:48 ( I assume)

The difference in figures amazed me. I realised that p.e. the 1:50 Preisser figures are closer to 1:48 than the Phoeix 1:43.5 figures.

Here two figures of males of approx the same size, the smaller one is 1.68m in 1:48 and the other one is 1,74m in 1:43,5.
  The larger one is 1.92m in 1:48.

With the 1:48 figures between the machinery, the mil at once looks much larger than with the 1:43.5 figures

This leaves only the 1:48 figures from New Zealand as crew for the mill, or I have to apply a lot of plastic  :D surgery to 1:48 military figures.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on August 15, 2009, 01:48:36 AM

QuoteI feel so intimidated with all you top notch modellers posting all this great stuff that I am reluctant to show my feeble efforts .

B.llsh.t

You are just too lazy to show your fantastic work.

Jacq

Jacq ,

Of course it is BILLSHUT . However , My friend has been taking some decent shots of what I've been up to recently so I'll post them on the Forum somewhere .... if I can summon the energy to be bothered !

Nick

Hume Lumber Co

Quote from: jacq01 on August 15, 2009, 02:53:46 PM

O scale in Europe is mainly 1:43.5  ( 2 x H0 )  and since Lenz brought out their O size stuff we have also 1:45.
  O size in the US is 1:48 ( I assume)

Jacq

Jacq,
I would have assumed that people in the USA would be larger since we have a problem with obesity over here:)

On a more serious note.  The photos I see of loggers from Hume are thin.  There are some that were tall like
"Big Bill Mills who stood well over size feet, weighed 230 pounds or more, and could do the work of two men."  (The Felled the Redwoods page 90.)  So out of the two men you show l think the smaller one is closer looking to how it was even if he represents a little smaller guy that may have been more in line with the times.  But it looks like he has a bear belly.  I guess he went to Anderson's Tavern too much.

I look forward to how you will solve the problem.

Matthew

Frederic Testard

Jacq, I've been absent for a while and discover the more recent progress on this thread. I must say that your edger really impresses me, and shows once again the extraordinary possibilities willing modellers have when they work with styrene.
The size difference between figures modelled in scales apparently close is not that surprising. There's a relative difference of about 10% between 1/43.5 and 1/48. This is quite a lot.
Frederic Testard

Franck Tavernier

Amazing work Jacq!!! You are awesome  ;)

About figures, don't forget, the size of a man on average lies between 1,70m and 1,85m (what seems to be a good compromise), which for example must give you in 1:48 scale, figurines of 35.5mm height approximately for 1,70m and 38.5mm height approximately for 1,85m...

Buffalo Landing Detail Parts have a set of five cast pewter figures modelled on Westside loggers and workers from the 1950's and 1960's. They were based on real characters from the West Side Lumber Co in California.
There are other sets of 2,6, 7 all different figures and another 13 figures, 33 in total !!!

These Figures are available from Coronado Scale Models and Caboose Hobbies  ;)

Franck Tavernier

Nick, could you possibly tell us more on your nice little Deutz and diorama / layout? Moreover in 1:35 scale!!!! ;)

shropshire lad

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on August 19, 2009, 08:16:33 AM
Nick, could you possibly tell us more on your nice little Deutz and diorama / layout? Moreover in 1:35 scale!!!! ;)

Franck ,

I can , but I won't hijack Jacq's thread so I'll move to another thread . However , I don't really want to go into it in to much detail until I get hold of the photos that my friend took at the weekend as they promise to be much better than mine ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Quote from: shropshire lad on August 19, 2009, 10:30:07 AM

Franck ,

I can , but I won't hijack Jacq's thread so I'll move to another thread . However , I don't really want to go into it in to much detail until I get hold of the photos that my friend took at the weekend as they promise to be much better than mine ,

Nick

Wow! :o  the "Man of a Thousand Excuses"....and I thought I was bad......you definitely take the cake! ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on August 19, 2009, 12:29:34 PM
Quote from: shropshire lad on August 19, 2009, 10:30:07 AM

Franck ,

Nick

Wow! :o  the "Man of a Thousand Excuses"....and I thought I was bad......you definitely take the cake! ;D

Marc

Are you still coming over to Euro Militaire ? Because if you are you are in danger of losing your lift !

Still , at least it is finished ...mostly .

Nick

RoughboyModelworks

A substantial amount of excellent progress Jacq since I last checked this thread... you're setting a benchmark for mills in this scale.

Paul

jacq01

The first test of the trimmer saws. 

8 saw assemblies have been used for the trimmer saw, based on 16'0" lumber length.
   Saw is made from Sierra West 24" circular saws, collets made from 1:350 winch flanges and alum. tubing

Complete saws over trimmer table.

Side view. Drive belts, couter weight, pulling chords and operators platform with handles to be added.

Overal view of test set up.

Slash cross transfer chains from edger table to position of slasher saws still to be installed.

Hope to finish the sawing floor within the next 2 weeks.
     After that the fun starts, the landscape with the foundations, groundfloor, logpond dam, boiler house, etc etc.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

I foresee a major problem with your model: It will require hours of scrutiny to absorb and appreciate all the detail and the superiority of your craftsmanship. Even at this point the breadth of your accomplishment is overwhelming. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

How long have you been working on this project?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Ray,

Christmas 2007 the children challenged me to do something with the On30 stuff they have been giving me on special days.
   As this was all B-mann logging material, together with my facination for sawmills, it was a logic step to search for information for an american logging layout. The first thing encountered were links and adds found in the NGSL gazette. Most did not appeal to me as it looked too overdone, excagerated and romanticised. Nothing realistic. A discussion on one of the fora run a bit out of hand with the result Marc invited me to look at Finescalerr.com. Marc started a discussion post at started it. This enabled me to explain what I was looking for. The idea's slowly took shape, the first parts were built from the bandsaw and carriage kit and after a very, very hectic tranferring of the last bits of work, real construction started around September/October 2008. The intention is to have the complete 16'0" diorama ready by the end of October 2010.
I normally spend much time in research and preparations before I start building anything.
Presently all preparing work for the mill, boilerhouse, engine house and landscaping of the first module are finalized. For the rest already much material is in house and sub-assemblies built, p.e. all machinery for the workshop and enginehouse is built and painted, ready to be put in place.
I do not watch TV except for news and some nice items on National Geographics or Discovery or a really good movie. With my hearing detoriating to the extend that mainly one to one discussions are still possible, I "withdraw" more and more from most social events. After the time for my normal work around the house and som social family activities, I spend my time in my hobbyroom/workshop.  The hobby has become a happy medium to express myself.  An hearing implant operation has been approved, but I feel reluctant due to the possible  risks and side effects.  Besides, I am not convinced yet that it really will improve my life.

Jacq
I am what I remember.