• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Spot the differences....

Roof over the skylight is finished, only the capping to be added. Capping will be made from aluminium foil.

Skylight windows do tilt and have real glas. I am lookking for details of opening/closing mechanism of this type of windows.

Test with the laser cut double hung windows.  I decided to cut all sashes and hang them seperate
   in built up frames like the right one.

I have been learning to use 0,007" thick glass. Cutting goes alright, fixing it in the frame took more time and handling
   the complete window/sash during assembly in the structure is going better and better. By the time I am finished with them, I'll be able to put them in without braking the glass or without fingerprints / marks on the glass   :D :D.

The glass comes from Sierra Scale Models, 55 sheets 2"x1" in a nice box where they are well protected. ( $ 6,95) 
  Till now I have used  15 sheets of which 4 didn't make it.  Good stuff..

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Nice progress. The windows look good. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Windows are really great the building is just simply looking better with each addition.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Gotta love those Crystal River windows!
I just got a set (custom sized too) and been playing with the real glass.
Funny I had contemplated making them move, but I want to keep whats left of my sanity ??? ???
Beautiful building
-Marty

Frederic Testard

These windows are really nice Jacq. I like the difference between the "glassed" windows and the "unglassed" ones in the last picture. There's some transparence, and yet a presence, a semi-opacity that gives the feeling there's something behind, even more interesting to discover since it's not displayed too obviously.
Frederic Testard

danpickard

Jaqc,
The whole piece is shaping up superb, definately a dominating structure.  Now I am starting to really get the impression of the final look, I am keen to see it fall into place in the module, and get a sense of the setting as well.  The glass opening windows are an excellent finish...could they be animated with dcc to open and close on demand?? ;D ;)

Dan

Franck Tavernier

Awesome job Jacq!

Windows look very good and glazings look like truths glazings!  ;) ;)

Ken Hamilton

Jacq, these aren't very good pictures but they may give you an idea of how the mechanism can be
designed. They're from "flickr" and only the Thumbnails are .jeg (the full view are "gif" and won't transfer)

Anyway, it appears that this type of high window was operated by a system of chains, pulleys & levers
and all were designed differently.  They all seem to be designed to fit the particular situation.

Hope this helps.  I love your working windows!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

jacq01

Ken,
    thanks, makes life easier.... ;D ;D

QuoteFunny I had contemplated making them move, but I want to keep whats left of my sanity Huh Huh

Marty,
    according to the house members I still turn up at meals, answer questions, show interest in what is happening around me, so it looks like I am still in contact with the world and behaving normally  ;D ;D ;D

Here the first windows of the filers room. I thought I ordered the right amount, but discovered that I am short of the double ones.  Missing windows have been ordered.

Windows closed..
    Upper sash sits in front of lower sash.  When making locator tabs for the windows in the opening I noticed a gap, which had the exact size to form the sliding groove for the lower sash.

Windows open..
   Lower sashes in up position. 

Construction detail showing centre groove.

When waiting for the rest of the windows to arrive, I'll add the battens and the small skylight.
  Also time to think about the opening mechanisme ( maybe electric, operated by micromotors and DCC to make Dan happy  :D ;D ) for the skylight windows.

This project is up till now a very nice challenge, learning a lot 8) 8)       This is good fun......

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: jacq01 on July 09, 2009, 08:01:43 AMThis is good fun......
That's what it's all about, Jacq!

This is the wrong scale and it's too late for you, since your windows are alredy built,
but you might find this window-making, mini-"How-To" interesting for a future project.
Here's the link:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/model_how-to/how_to_build_window/

Making working windows in a jig:
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Frederic Testard

Ken, despite it being the wrong scale, I can tell it works in O scale since I built two windows using exactly this tutorial. About half an hour per window if I remember correctly. And they work perfectly well.
Frederic Testard

Krusty

QuoteWindows open..

Jacq

The windows are beautiful, as, of course, is the whole model. One question, though. Would it have been possible to raise the lower sash like this without also lowering the top sash? On all the domestic sash windows I've seen the two sashes are counterbalanced together with a system of cords and weights (when new anyway – on old, poorly maintained buildings the system breaks down when the sash cord rots, but this is a fairly new, well looked-after building). Were industrial windows different? Do you need two DCC decoders per window?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

marc_reusser

Quote from: Krusty on July 09, 2009, 08:39:46 PM
QuoteWindows open..

Jacq

The windows are beautiful, as, of course, is the whole model. One question, though. Would it have been possible to raise the lower sash like this without also lowering the top sash? On all the domestic sash windows I've seen the two sashes are counterbalanced together with a system of cords and weights (when new anyway – on old, poorly maintained buildings the system breaks down when the sash cord rots, but this is a fairly new, well looked-after building). Were industrial windows different? Do you need two DCC decoders per window?

Kevin,

The counterbalanced windows are not at all common or easy to find in the US....and probably non-existant at this time in history.

Wooden windows like these were (and still are) built in double-hung and single hung configurations (yes, there were oddeties like double hung dissapearing sash and such...but these were foundon high-end residential or specialty projects).

Double-hung:  The upper and lower sashes both move. They move completely independently of eachother. Sashes were generally counter-weighted in a window jamb/frame or wall pocket by the use of weights connected to the sahes with ropes.

Single-hung: The upper sash is installed in a fixed/closed position, and only the lower sash opens. (I have also on a rare occassion seen it configured where the bottom sash was fixed, and the upper operated.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ken Hamilton

Marc, in the relatively short time I've been here I've come to realize that you know a lot of stuff!
Thanks for sharing all your tips, facts, photos and other modeling aids that make out lives easier.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on July 10, 2009, 06:21:48 AM
Marc, in the relatively short time I've been here I've come to realize that you know a lot of stuff!
Thanks for sharing all your tips, facts, photos and other modeling aids that make out lives easier.

Actually , Ken , I would say that Marc makes our lives harder . Because we can't get away with doing less than wonderful modelling without him letting us know about it .
  Not that I'm implying that any of your modelling is less than wonderful , it is just the rest of us mere mortals I'm referring to ,

Nick

Incidentally , the weights that Marc is referring to are cast iron cylindrical bars of differing lengths , depending on how much weight is required to counterbalance the windows . Unfortunately I don't have any or I would take a photo to show those not in the know what they looked like .