• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gin sot

Does anybody know what the Kadee HO disconnects represent?  I'm presuming it's a west coast 1920's prototype, but don't know for sure.

Chuck Doan

Thanks for this info Marc, we appreciate the effort.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Quote from: gin sot on January 03, 2011, 01:08:56 PM
Does anybody know what the Kadee HO disconnects represent?  I'm presuming it's a west coast 1920's prototype, but don't know for sure.

I cant say "exactly" what car it represents...but I can probably get pretty close. Not sure if they patterened it off a single prototype, by a specific mfr. (if I recal, it is a pretty darn good example, but lacks a good amount of specific detail, and is of course greatly hampered by the use of, and the need to install that idioptic Kadee coupler pocket).  I will have to pull the catalogs and look. Will post a pic when I do.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

QuoteDoes anybody know what the Kadee HO disconnects represent?  I'm presuming it's a west coast 1920's prototype, but don't know for sure.

Here is one that I ran across that is sim to the Kadee inregards to sidframe and bolsters. The end strapping on this is different (the wood Snohomish version has starpping like the Kadee)...the bunk is also different....looks more like a bunk from another mfr (name escapes me at the moment...so the car could be based on one fromthat one). Note that though the image shows the brake wheel vertical, the description indicates that the car can be ordered with it on the side, like the Kadee model/version).

M

M-Works

finescalerr

I've never seen an exact duplicate of the Kadee disconnect. What if it's a composite of two or three designs? -- Russ

Junior

Marc, that´s a most impressive research by one of the best model builders. I´m glad I didn´t read it all before I built 35 of these in HOn3 for my logging line. Would most likely still be working on the first one.....just kidding! Fantastic module Jacques. By the way Jacques are there any pictures of your old layout that you sold to somebody here in Sweden?

Anders ;D

marc_reusser

Anders,
Those are some really great looking Westside skeletons. Like the paint and weathering a lot. Did you scratchbuild those, or are they the Rio Grande kits?  Either way, great work.

Below are two more images showing Seattle Car & Foundry cars. Note the disconnect in the top image shows sim end strapping detail....what still doesn't match is the log bunk....however as you can se in the second image SC&F made this bunk with stakes and bunk pivot stop (vertical piece at center of bunk) which almost exactly matches the Kadee car....it is also safe to say that this bunk would have been available on the disconnect, making SC&F a fair match for the Kadee prototype/inspiration....however there were other companies that built similar trucks, and variants...so it could be one of those.  And as I dont know all the designs and variants by heart, its tough to tell exactly without checking all relevant mfr catalogs from the time (which I unfortunately don't have :))..... I also don't know what exact liberties Kadee took in their design, and in order to get it to work in HO (in regards to coupler height and mounting requirements)...I am hard pressed to be sure ::) :-\. ...but I am sure there is someone out there in model RR land that knows what inspired the Kadee design  ;D.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

...and here the log bunk image.

M

M-Works

Junior

Thanks Marc, yes they are RGM kits but enhanced with the typical metal straps, right size air hoses from PSCO and some other bits and pieces.

Anders ;D

Junior

Jacques, thanks for having Harry get in touch with me. Fantastic layout!

Anders ;D

jacq01

Today the parcel from Marc with info on disconnects and skeletons arrived   ;D ;D
   Leafing through made one thing clear, a large variety that easily can create confusion.  :o ::)   Fantastic information in  these Tall Timber short lines magazines. Is this magazine still available ? 

I have found 2 disconnect samples I can use with the PSC cars. 
   For the skeletons I have the following question.

As I have a large amount of Kadee On30 24" wheelsets I am looking for matching truck frames.  These wheelsets have 26mm pinpoint axles. The McLeods trucks are for straight ended axles and On3 axle length.  FWM makes beautiful matching wheel sets. I am using these sets with succes under the PSC cars.

Who makes matching 4'0" trucks for 26mm pinpoint axles ?   
  I have a number of 3'0" trucks from BVM and tried the 24" wheel. good fit and great rolling due to the nylon bearings but no room for inside breakes anymore.
  They look chunky and "cute"  but they appear too small for  20'0" - 24'0" cars.

I found Ian Lindsay carries matching trucks but he has not replied on my mails. 
  Any other manufacturer ? 

For the metal hardware I am struggling with CAD to prepare a negative for nickle silver etched parts based on the selected type of car.

I noticed on many samples of earlier cars a type of "brake platform" on the brake wheel side. This could be very usable to disguise the wheel clearance cut out for the smaller curves.
  Were the platforms common ? 

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

If I am correct in visualizing what you are are talking about, you may need to scratch something. I had to do this for my 10-ton cane car.  I used the sidframes from  On3 36" wheel base trucks from Grandt line, the bolster from a McLeod On30 truck, and the brake hangers from a Grandt line 48" wheel-base ON3 truck. The Grant trucks are Delrin...a real PIA to paint...but possible of the frames are properly prepped and I used a Resin primer from Gunze. Though I think you would still need to slightly blunt the needlepoint axle ends for them to work in the Grandt frames.

Here is a pic of mine pre paint....(on the cane car only one truck had brakes)

...and with wheels and primer (these wheels are 24" NWSL wheels.....because FMW did not have theirs on the market yet.)

With the level of, and attention to, detail that you are doing, I would just get rid of the Kadee wheels and only use FMW...the latter are prototypically correct and far better for cars such as these, where you will see the wheels all the time.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Forgot to answer your other question.....  "Tall Timber Shortlines" is no longer being published, but "Timber Times" is still active http://www.timbertimes.com/

I believe you can still buy some select limited back issues of "Tal Timber Shortlines" from the publisher http://www.osorail.com/

....here is a direct link to the back issues page: http://shop.osorail.com/category.sc;jsessionid=5F4D92039BD267ADAFF9918DF1CE7FD9.qscstrfrnt06?categoryId=5
...Note though that most all appear to be marked as "Photocopy" only.

Otherwise back issues of both occasionally apper on Ebay, and Amazon.

Marc

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Jacq and Marc
There are some back issues of Tall Timber & Shortlines available page 9 of this link : http://railpub.com/Catalogs/fullpricelist.pdf
Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

Thanks Frederic

I am actualy fortunate enough to have almost all the issues of both.  :)

M

M-Works