• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

D. Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by Junior, November 29, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

I agree with all here. The lighting creates a great atmosphere! Quite excellent.

The current RR Line photo thread would welcome these pics.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

onl26

Hey Anders
Way to go partner!! You just don't find this level of detail in such a nicely blended scene in HO. The depth of the scene is just so impressive.
Congrats!

KO

Malachi Constant

Quote from: DaKra on March 04, 2011, 05:58:15 AM
Anders, this model is a little revolution in the HO scale world!    

Your approach to detail as high-resolution models-within-models, is very different from the "sprinkle of castings" that usually passes for detail.  Your extensive use of laser cut parts gives the scene crispness and a believable amount of clutter.   The castings you did use are carefully chosen, and everything is placed in a believable way.  

Brilliant work!   :o
Dave

Yes, definitely what Dave said!  And, all of the finishes are outstanding.  The whole thing is just friggin' wonderful, beautiful, fascinating and amazing ... and the lighting is incredible.  Fantastic!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ken Hamilton

Wow....this is one of the most remarkable HO-scale models I've ever seen.
The detail is outstanding and the colors and textures are just perfect.
Fantastic job, Anders.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Junior

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for all your comments - much appreciated. Seems like the three hundred hours or so has paid off a bit ;D. Without the help from all the great people here this project wouldn´t have been possible. Too many to mention right now but I´ll get to that when I´m done.

Have started to give the lamp shades a couple of coats so they won´t leak and then I can shoot the final interior pictures. Right after that the front wall will be glued in place and then it´s too late for these kind of pics. Diorama base is prepared and so are all the details for the surrounding areas - guess I´ll be done in a week or two - we´ll see ??? Next project is already in progress - will post soon in a new thread.

Anders ;D

eTraxx

Anders .. with the comments by Ken, Chuck and Dallas .. for a modeler .. well .. that's like canonization by the Pope!
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Junior

Ha...had to use Google to translate that one! Think I will listen to Nirvana at volume 10 right now! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Ed,

Anders :o

Frederic Testard

Ed, I tend to believe Ken, Chuck and Dallas know modelling better than the pope knows God...
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Junior on March 05, 2011, 01:59:17 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for all your comments - much appreciated. Seems like the three hundred hours or so has paid off a bit ;D. Without the help from all the great people here this project wouldn´t have been possible. Too many to mention right now but I´ll get to that when I´m done.

Have started to give the lamp shades a couple of coats so they won´t leak and then I can shoot the final interior pictures. Right after that the front wall will be glued in place and then it´s too late for these kind of pics. Diorama base is prepared and so are all the details for the surrounding areas - guess I´ll be done in a week or two - we´ll see ??? Next project is already in progress - will post soon in a new thread.

Anders ;D

Boy, those hours sure do add up, don't they?  Certainly have paid off ...

Quick question/idea:  Is there any way that you can change the plans for mounting the front wall to make it removable?  Just an idea ... but I'm planning to make the long front wall on my shop removable for a couple reasons ... one of them is so that I can actually reach in to fix anything that gets knocked loose later ... and, also, to go back for photos or whatever.

Also, I thought of a neat, but seldom-modeled detail for an old tire shop and started to collect photos ... it's an old "Coats tire machine" ... for mounting tires by the "armstrong" method (translation:  hand-operated, using the strength of your arms!) ... one shot below.   If you search for "OLD Coats tire machine" (or antique, vintage, manual, etc) you'll find more photos ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Junior

Dallas, that´s a super cool machine have never seen anything like it. :o Could that be placed outdoors - not much room left indoors? :o To have the front wall removable is not a problem in itself however if you take a look at page 11. there´s two goose neck lights above the sign and those should be wired in series with one of the indoor lights. One could of course have some extra long wires hidden somewhere but they are so thin that they are barely visible and very, very fragile and would probably be damaged real quick.

Bill Sartore the LED wizard might have a solution we will see...... ??? ??? ???

Anders  ;D

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Frederic Testard on March 05, 2011, 06:45:51 AM
Ed, I tend to believe Ken, Chuck and Dallas know modelling better than the pope knows God...

Gee, I'm just happy to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ken & Chuck without being listed as a counterpoint!  ;D

Anders -- It certainly does look like that machine was left outside for a good long time ... since it's hand-operated, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be ... I'll send you an email with some a larger photo and some pix of the tools.

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

More info:  Looks like that old machine is a Coats (brand) "Tireman tire changer" -- so if you put "Coats Tireman tire changer" into an image search you'll find a bunch more related photos, for example:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/coats%20tireman%20tire%20changer/Zematroid/tirechanger005.jpg
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=150798
http://www.interschola.com/template/itemimages/22000s/22295/img_4813.jpg

-- Dallas

pwranta193

Quote from: Junior on March 05, 2011, 09:56:24 AM
To have the front wall removable is not a problem in itself however if you take a look at page 11. there´s two goose neck lights above the sign and those should be wired in series with one of the indoor lights. One could of course have some extra long wires hidden somewhere but they are so thin that they are barely visible and very, very fragile and would probably be damaged real quick.

I'm thinking that you could use some simple plug ins (I think they are available at Radio Shack type stores) - and they might even serve to help hold the front wall in place (depending on depth).  I'm with Dallas - it seems a shame to close it all up permanently.

Oh - and to echo everyone else - really great work... it looks like a late night at the shop - or just as someone is getting ready to close up for the night...

Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Malachi Constant

1948 advertisement for the Coats Iron Tireman ...