• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

D. Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by Junior, November 29, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Thanks Dallas......actually I do have two of those lenses ( +3 and +2 ) and I´ll promise you as soon as it´s time to act like a copy cat again I will use both of them!

Anders  ;D

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Junior on February 18, 2011, 12:09:58 AM
Thanks very much everyone - most appreciated. Here is a pic. for you Dallas and thanks for your inspiration.

Anders ;D

Edit. forgot the measurements: 9 x 9 m.m

It looks great!  I was curious about the comparison ... I actually had Dave make mine fairly small ... so my window fan is only 14mm sq and the floor fan is about 12x14mm, not including the handles, etc.  This of course, means that you have to go back and install belt drive in your window fan if you haven't already done that!  :o  ;D

You might be able to use BOTH the +2 and +3 adapters together ... I think that actually multiplies the effect, so you'd get a +6 (or 6x) effect.  I've generally used a +4 for many small items, and the +10 for many more (like the little airplane!).  If combining them works, then you can take close-ups of the little outlets, etc, as needed.

Really hope that I'll get similarly pleasing results as all my little bits and pieces start to shape into a finished shop.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Junior

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 18, 2011, 04:25:45 AM
Quote from: Junior on February 18, 2011, 12:09:58 AM
Thanks very much everyone - most appreciated. Here is a pic. for you Dallas and thanks for your inspiration.

Anders ;D

Edit. forgot the measurements: 9 x 9 m.m

It looks great!  I was curious about the comparison ... I actually had Dave make mine fairly small ... so my window fan is only 14mm sq and the floor fan is about 12x14mm, not including the handles, etc.  This of course, means that you have to go back and install belt drive in your window fan if you haven't already done that!  :o  ;D

You might be able to use BOTH the +2 and +3 adapters together ... I think that actually multiplies the effect, so you'd get a +6 (or 6x) effect.  I've generally used a +4 for many small items, and the +10 for many more (like the little airplane!).  If combining them works, then you can take close-ups of the little outlets, etc, as needed.

Really hope that I'll get similarly pleasing results as all my little bits and pieces start to shape into a finished shop.  -- Dallas

I have used both lenses together but had no idea you could get them in a  +10 format - sounds great! Regarding the fan business a small belt drive has been installed (from Dave´s Modern Car Parts ) and it´s also plugged into one of his outlets. ;D ;D ;D

Anders :D

Malachi Constant

BTW -- I'm curious about the size of your structure.  I'm modeling a much SMALLER building in the LARGER scale ... I wouldn't be surprised if the actual footprint is similar.

My structure is about 18-1/2 x 28' (scale feet) or 16.2 x 24.4 cm (actual size)

What is the size (floor measurements) of your garage?

Also ... Anders sent me some larger copies of these photos off-line and they're even better when seen in the larger size.  They'll look great when Russ gets to print them!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Junior

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 18, 2011, 05:17:00 AM
BTW -- I'm curious about the size of your structure.  I'm modeling a much SMALLER building in the LARGER scale ... I wouldn't be surprised if the actual footprint is similar.

My structure is about 18-1/2 x 28' (scale feet) or 16.2 x 24.4 cm (actual size)

What is the size (floor measurements) of your garage?

Also ... Anders sent me some larger copies of these photos off-line and they're even better when seen in the larger size.  They'll look great when Russ gets to print them!

Cheers,
Dallas
A bit smaller Dallas....footprint is 14,5 cm x 13 cm or 41´ x 36´ scale feet.

Anders ;D

eTraxx

I had forgotten that I had the close-up lenses (got mine off of eBay) so I pulled them out. I'm building a pump house in O scale and I need an oil engine and pump that can be seen through the windows so figured it was a good subject for playing with the lenses .. not too bad for under $20 if I remember. If you get a set, make sure you get the correct size for your camera. Mine are 52mm but came with a 58mm adapter. Which is cool because I bought them for my Sony (58mm) but my Nikon uses the 52mm .. so everything is copasetic.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Junior

So the LED´s are done - quite a nightmare to mount fifteen lights in both structures but thanks to Bill Sartore who supplied everything in an excellent way. Need to repaint the lamp shades as they are leaking. Any suggestions for a paint that would do the job? The restroom and small office in the rear of the garage are close to impossible to photograph properly but I will give it another try later on.

Anders ???

Junior

Junior

Junior

Frederic Testard

That is as perfect as I can imagine, Anders.
Do you remember you must tell me the size you need for your display next june?
Frederic Testard

Bill Sartore

Looks great!

As I mentioned in my email - I just sprayed a quick coat of gray paint on the lamp shades figuring you would paint them the color of your choice. I just forgot tontell you that (oops). I usually brush on a couple of heavy coats of a Polly Scale color. Trying to make them opaque in one pass doesn't work that well.

You made the job extra challenging for yourself by adding the lights late in the project. Fantastic work!

Bill

BKLN

DaKra

Anders, this model is a little revolution in the HO scale world!    

Your approach to detail as high-resolution models-within-models, is very different from the "sprinkle of castings" that usually passes for detail.  Your extensive use of laser cut parts gives the scene crispness and a believable amount of clutter.   The castings you did use are carefully chosen, and everything is placed in a believable way.  

This is the first time I have seen an interior lit by multiple, individual hanging lamps powered by scale size LEDs.  Completely realistic, and a really big difference from the massively oversized GOW bulbs from the pre-LED era.   The lighting is modeled in a scale way, not an afterthought.

Finally, your photography, in sharp focus from front to rear,  is another remarkable achievement.    

Brilliant work!   :o
Dave

chester

What Dave said! All I can add is....awesome.