• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Im glad Im not the only one who just can't get on with track work - I have tried many types but all ways end up with a do it yourself style code 100 spiked to wooden sleepers and the use of commercial turnouts its defiantly the way to go for the larger scales 
Keep the good work up Kim its looking great
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

1-32

Hi Barney..
Yes, it also works for me I will post a picture or two of the track work it works very well.
But moving along Sandy Hollow is in three sections that can either work as a individual section or as a long display.
On the left will be the water ,middle residental and on the right railway yard and ore loader.
Pictured is the middle section size 700 mm long by 350 mm wide -2 foot 4 inches by 1 foot 2 inches the track is at the bach on a 60 mm trackbed-2.5 inches.
To get it all to fit the 1 story house has lost its kitchen , it was a separate piece anyway and will need a rebuild no worries.
What attracts me to these mini displays is how much detail you can get into them when sitting comfortably.

finescalerr

What attracts me to your displays is how artistic they are. -- Russ

1-32

Morning all .
yes, let's keep the track work simple.
The yard mineral loader track work is finished next step is the scenic additions. It is tested and works really well to go to the next step I need to know what space is available. After trying a few times to get permission to visit the preserved loader in Queensland Australia, the mining company -New Hope mining group has not gotten back to me, no worries. I just needed to get an idea about some details but now I will make it up, it is going to be a big building. I don't mind doing this the project now has more interest to me.
Art is such a big word strangely I have very little respect for most of them ,myself?
I see myself as being clever with a very strong multi-skill base coupled with a vivid clear imagination. Writing spelling and numbers are not part of this skill base.
All the very best talk soon.

Bernhard

Beautiful work, Kim. I am already very excited about this mineral loader. I am currently working on the construction of its quasi counterpart, a Hulett ore unloader.

Bernhard

fspg2

Hello Kim,

You are so tirelessly building the model - I like that!
Frithjof

1-32

Good Morning, Bernard, Frithjof thank you.
Yes, we all like having a  project we are all different which is great.
Just throwing in a couple of new photos. The ore loader is a big project and to make it useful to me I will have to make a character of the complex. The ore loading system is a very prominent feature and the conveyor system used a slat method, not buckets but I can't find any reference to this system.on with the search.
The last picture is- what the heck I just like it.
cheers.

1-32

and just like that.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: 1-32 on January 08, 2022, 12:56:13 PM

What a great scene! I absolutely love the variety of materials, textures, and weathering on this structure!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Speechless Again !!!!!!! the atmosphere is just great
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bill Gill

Kim, Last night while looking for a movie online I came across a 2002 Austrailian flic called "The Nugget".
It's about 3 ordinary blokes who find a huge gold nugget. The landscape scenes and the buildings showed me how good your dioramas are.
Oe house looked a lot like the one in your 8 JAN photo. Cheers.

1-32

Morning Ray , Barney, and Bill..Thanks
Yes, that last picture is great the textures are so real part love the white PVC pipe crossing, part of the township of Ackland , the mine loader is the centerpiece of this deserted town.With the current mines lease the town was to be demolished but some buildings are to be left.
I have collected a lot of references still so much around, basically, if you want to make the scene flat you get it right.
Cheers

Sami

The work is fantastic and the differents textures bring something more.

Hydrostat

Hi, Kim, how are you doing. I'm following each step of your progress and like the captured atmosphere a lot. The gravel loader will be a challenge - those australian or american mining structures often look very makeshift to an european eye, which makes it even more intersting. A shame the company didn't get back to you at all, but not knowing to much about the prototype sometimes is a chance, too. The buckets in your second last post are from a grain elevator?

Cheers,
Volker 
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

Good morning.
Hi, Sami and Volker great to hear from you all.
Moving along.
With the rail extension at the back, the original kitchen building was too big so in the last couple of days, I have made a new one.
The last picture is some more inspiration bit rough but it is good to see that in the last couple of years they updated the sewer system more than likely a septic system.
The lack of access to the mine is ok I can work it out it will be a character inspiration just the way I like it. You tend to make yourself bulletproof and experience a lot of fresh air just get on with it.
cheers, Kim.