• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Thanks, everybody for your interest.
Yes, the downstairs area these styles of houses were pretty rough to live in . The kitchen wee really hot both from the low metal roof big cast iron stove much better to live in the open area downstairs. The small structure under the house was the bathroom come laundry the toilet was out the back and yes Lawton the washing on a rainy day. I have included another picture of a window shade essential to keeping the house cool and dark. The feature coming up is the roof vent on top many different designs to take the hot air out of the roof space the large roof space also helped.
cheers.

Barney

Nice colours - and some nice ideas to make it that bit different
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Dennis McCarthy

Great stuff, Kim. I really like the rust effect you achieved on the one rusty sunshade, very realistic.
Cheers, Dennis

Lawton Maner

Then you need to add a hammock between 2 of the posts so that Russ has somewhere to sleep when he comes to visit.

Headed towards Nick's corner.

1-32

Hi, all moving along.
Hi, Barney just a bit of color sometimes it will put it down and if I have a better idea will change it later.
Dennis how are you yes that rust silver finish I really would like to know how I did that bit of a fluke but I really like it.
Lawton if anybody came to visit I would roll out the best table cloth and I really would make sure that all the knives and folks matched.
Any the roof vent here is my version they really set the time and place for the building .
Now the 1 on 1 version is collector's pieces rare and very expensive.
cheers.

finescalerr

How did you make the roof vent? -- Russ

1-32

Hi Russ .
The roof vent had me scratching my head for a while.
Usually, I will look around for a shape that I can use the kitchen is a good place to start but in this case, nothing turned up.
So I have a cheap wood turning machine that is used to turn wooden beads that it got off E bay I think it cost 70 dollars. I have had it for years and never liked it but to reproduce this shape it is essential.
I had a blank of plastic and for the fancy bit at the bottom that is a separate piece of thin styrene cut into the shape and glued into a grove at the bottom . Then its is filled , sanded, and primed. It turned out better than it expected and being able to turn shapes in plastic is a whole new world.
cheers

finescalerr

And it probably took almost as much time to build as the lattice. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Just Love It !    it should be awarded the the most atmospheric model of the year
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

1-32

Hi everybody getting close to the end of the year where has 2021 gone too.?
Anyway moving along progress on the guttering and irrigation it is always a nice detail.
A round concrete water tank really I had no idea how it would work the main problem is the plaster falling off but in the end I got one that worked.
cheers, Kim.

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous! However I think that tank wouldn't hold water in that condition!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

This is shaping up as one of your very best structures ... but the water tank probably leaks. -- Russ

1-32

Yep that tank has been cracked a few too many times,but doing round plaster tanks are a lot of fun.

Carlo

Kim -
How did you make the water tank? Casting?
- Carlo