• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

P4NewStreet - modelling Birmingham (UK) in the 1980's - 1:76 scale

Started by jim s-w, May 20, 2010, 08:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim s-w

Thanks russ

Not posted any pics for a while

Ok no where near the sort of stuff you guys do but I hope you enjoy them anyway

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Chuck Doan

That is some impressive trackwork! Good looking trains too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Nice!

What is the purpose of the frog in the track on the far right?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

W.P. Rayner

jim s-w

Thanks guys

The mystery frog was just dumped there in my reference pictures so i added it to the model too.  Nothing more significant than that im afraid

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

jim s-w

Hi All

A bit of an experiment this,  2 shots taken for one picture.  The upper one is an overall shot, with a single spotlight bounced from the roof.  The lower one the only light source is an LED in the coach and a hand held LED above the station lamp.  By combining the two, lightening up the lamp and darkening the sky plus some work with curves and a tiny but of lens flair (mostly rubbed out though) the end result is below.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

finescalerr

Next time try combining both lighting approaches in a single exposure. -- Russ

jim s-w

Will do russ.  I probably need to make some shutters and stands first though.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

SandiaPaul

I think this is a great photo, and great modelmaking.

Try getting your eye level down some like this image:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=388728&nseq=62&favsearch=1
Paul

Hauk

Jim, I just saw the signal box article in MRJ 215. Excellent work. By the way, I dont think the prototype building is ugly at all!

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

jim s-w

Hi all

I have a bit of a fascination with less than ideal photographs.

The above image was deliberately cross curved (read ruined) because that tends to be what happens at the real location.  The combination of poor, odd coloured lighting under the roof and daylight in the background meant that you vary rarely see good pictures from the real new street.  Although there's a fair bit of work involved in recreating these sort of throw away shots I kind of like them.

I hope that when the roof is on and the model lights are in place you will get the same sort of problems on the model that you did at the real place

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Although us Brits are famous for talking about the weather we don't model it much.  You sometimes see layouts set in the snow but rarely the rain.  Odd really as it rains on average 1 out of 3 days.  I don't want the model set while it's raining but the idea of an hour or do after a shower, when most things have dried but there are still puddles really appeals. 

The above was my first experiment and is simply puddles of Klear (futur) floor polish.  I did it this was as its reversible, if I don't like it a blast of matt varnish and it dissapears.  It looked ok but not right and having looked closer at real puddles it's because there's no discolouration, so...

This time on a scrap piece of card quickly sprayed to look like Tarmac but the puddles are sprayed gently with black first and then klear.  Below is as another view

What are your thoughts people?

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

1-32

hi
great track junction,i would love to see your signal box-please
kind regards kim