Westlake Publishing Forums
October 25, 2021, 02:17:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: P4NewStreet - modelling Birmingham (UK) in the 1980's - 1:76 scale  (Read 225747 times)
jim s-w

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »

Hi martin

I thought I mentioned that I do sand the sheets but looking back now I guess that must have been on another forum.   I use 2 different brands of sheet depending on the age of the wall I am building.

Your comments are taken entirely as you intended - no worries there!

Hth

Jim
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:09:39 AM by jim s-w » Logged

Jim Smith-Wright
DaKra

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »

The molded brick sheets have advantage of being easy to cut and glue, and some people can make them look OK.   Sometimes the effort spent striving for perfection just kills the momentum.  I think Jim did a great job with the materials he had, the brick walls look really good to me.   

Dave

VectorCut.com
jim s-w

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »

Thanks Dave

I do see what the chaps are saying about the roundness of the bricks and while I would love to go to the levels Chuck does (If I could that is) my project is just too big even taking into account my young (ish) age.

I am unashamedly here as an admirer of the work put forward and very much doubt I will be able to contribute much but as long as you guys are happy with me lurking and dont mind me posting a few pictures now and then I will stick around.  So...

30 second esposure using just 3 white LED's as a light source.  The grain was a pure accident but adds to the 1980's feel I think.  Lights and exhaust added in photoshop.

Again 30 seconds with a single white LED at the back.  No photoshoppery here except for normal finishing.  This was one of those things I only had one shot at.  The reason being I was weathering the platform tops with a wash of thin colour and thus they were wet.  The platforms wont be wet (intentionally anyway) again.

Regards

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright
jim s-w

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 04:34:21 AM »

Hi all

I have for a while been meaning to model the large brackets the bridges of Hill St and Naviagation street sit on.

As I need 8 of them I thought it best to design a little etch.

The above shows the 2 parts assembled. 

The completed bracket

And again, sat on a penny for scale.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright
jim s-w

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 04:35:23 AM »

Hi All

most of my platform lamps are different in one way or another.  Some have no extra bits, some have Phones, some HST stop signs and some loadspeakers or combinations of some/all. The one at the front of the layout has all 3 - makes a change for the complex one not the be hidden by something else!  A little etch for the folding base thing!

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright
Junior

Anders "Junior"

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 06:47:11 AM »

That´s some really neat work for such a small detail!

Anders Grin
TRAINS1941

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

Hi Jim

Welcome.  Just trying to catch up with some of the stuff I've missed.

Very nice indeed.  Seems like you have your work cut out for next 15 or 20 years.  Good luck with the project and keep posting those pictures.

Jerry

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

Those bridge shoes are great!

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »

Nice work, especially the bridge shoes.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
jim s-w

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 03:58:38 AM »

Thanks Gents

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright
jim s-w

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »

Hi Bill

There are 2 - the larger 1 with the access for the vehicles will be on the next board. The pedestrian only 1 the board after that one.

Regards

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright
jim s-w

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:29 AM »

Hi all

Back in September I took the layout so far to scaleforum exhibition as a work in progress.  It's always nice to see your stuff through the lens/eyes of a third party and a small gallery can be seen here

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2011/new_st.html

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »

Nice pics, and some really great modeling! Some of those pics could pass for the real thing.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
Hauk

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »

Hi all

Back in September I took the layout so far to scaleforum exhibition as a work in progress.  It's always nice to see your stuff through the lens/eyes of a third party and a small gallery can be seen here

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2011/new_st.html

Cheers

Jim

Happy to hear from you again! A very inspiring project, excellent modelling. A young mans Retford, if you catch my drift...

Regards, Hauk
--
”Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them”  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »

The layout represents a lot of effort. Nice job. -- Russ
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: