• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

The image has a color cast, maybe a little too much cyan, making it hard to discern how the wood really looks. Overall it seems pretty good but none of us knows what you have in mind. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Oops!  Here's an attempt at getting better white balance ...

Desired effect is neglected paint/whitewash, eastern US ... nearest boards seem to be approaching what I want ... would like to build up more "paint" remaining on boards, so I'll continue experimenting, but again welcome any ideas ...

Thanks!
Dallas

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

Still experimenting with paint techniques ... looking to find an approach that represents peeling/chipping lead paint without mineral spirits or turpentine (to avoid headaches from those chemicals) ...

These were done with multiple layers of acrylic crackle medium and acrylic paints.

Yea or Nay on the texture/look of peeling lead paint?  ::)

finescalerr

It looks a little too speckled to represent the effect you probably want. Paint tends to peel in strips.

Try this while you are experimenting: Gordon Birrell posted here (and I also published) a technique of using pastel pencils over stained and distressed wood. His results were quite good. Years ago I "invented" a similar process using pastel chalks over stained wood. I preferred the finish to paint because it was, well, chalky. It seemed to emulate age better than paint.

Russ

Malachi Constant

Well, Shazam!  Thanks Gordon ... that's incredibly simple and effective.  Just tried it with some soft pastels and a scratch pen and it looks great ... will have to get some hard pastels and experiment some more.  Ya know, I'd seen the outhouses ... they look fantastic ... but the technique didn't sink in.  Much appreciated.

Russ, thanks also ... was able to go back and do some scratching and streaked stains on those boards to break up the speckled effect a bit ...

Back to playing with the pastels and such ... thanks again for the quick feedback!

Cheers,
Dallas

Malachi Constant

Well, just for kicks, I put together a photo-etch shelving unit that was included in a package of Verlinden details ... think this is the first photo-etch thing I've built since being traumatized by a Joe Works kit as a child!

Holding a 1/35 scale screwdriver steady enough to take aim at these tiny screws was one thing ...

But doing that while holding these teeny-tiny square nuts against the back of the screws was just too much ... so I had to leave some of those off ...

Oh crap!  When did y'all install one of those in here?  Alright, alright ... the Verlinden kit didn't come with any hardware, so I stuck some Tichy rivets in the holes, sliced some screw-slots in a few of those that MIGHT show ... and the stupid dang square nuts  were a photo prop made from styrene ... hard enough transferring them on to the dime ... no way I'd try putting them inside the shelving unit where they'd never ever show.  Dang stupid BS Meter!  >:(

Ray Dunakin

Wow, if it weren't for the dime I would have guessed that was a photo of prototype shelving! Great kit!

You had me going for a second there with those nuts and bolts!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

That shelving unit is GREAT!
The color is spot on also, really great.
I was gonna mention Gordon's pastel trick but I see I am too late.
Great job on the B.S. meter.
-Marty

Chuck Doan

Neat! Glad you got over the PE phobia!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

That looks really sweet! Nice assembly and finish

Ido You happen to have the part number for that unit?...I have been looking for something like that for a while now.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Here's another piece under way ... circuit breaker box and cut-off switch from another Verlinden set.  Thought about gutting the breaker box and retro-fitting it as a fuse box (or scratchbuilding one) ... but made a "time management" decision based on the zillion-item "to do" list on this project and decided just to dress this up a little.  Still have a couple small bits to add ...

Marc -- The metal shelves are on an etched sheet that also includes a piece of pegboard and some teeny little two-prong hooks for that.  It's available separate as Verlinden #2545 Metal Shelves ... but it's also included in the #2574 Military Workshop Stuff set, which includes a mess of containers to put on the shelves, some wheels, tires, a V-8 engine, etc.  While browsing the Verlinden stuff, you might also want to look at the #1360 Tiger Engine Disassembled set ... haven't ordered that yet, but looks like it will provide a bunch of useful pieces for this build.  I've been getting the Verlinden stuff from ScaleHobbyist.com -- good prices and reasonable shipping.

PS -- Assembling a miniature metal shelf is just like assembling the 1:1 version ... metal shelves flopping all over while you try to get it together ... photo below.  ;D

shropshire lad

But , Marc , as you think all Verlinden products are crap you , of course, won't be buying it . Ha ha .

Nick

marc_reusser

Crikey Ogden....you have the memory of an elephant! ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

The Verlinden stuff is a bit hit-and-miss ... I'm finding lots of useful bits, with some crappy bits in between ...

I'm using several pieces from their electrical fittings set, but their outlets are crude and grossly oversized (more than 10 scale inches tall for a double outlet!) ... the Verlinden piece is shown in tan resin ... I've started making my own in styrene.  Mine are crude in the extreme enlargement, but much closer to correct size and US style.

This is about 3x actual size on a 19" monitor, so with a decent paint job they should be suitable background details ... made two plates so far, have to make a few more ... including a couple double boxes with outlets and light switches ... the insanity continues!   ;D