• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

The big chain in the middle of the log is positioned so that the log is of the ground at the middle and rear, this is to allow the log to be a bit nose heavy, so when the motive power stops, then the nose of the log will dig into the ground and all proceedings will just come to a stop.
Failure to load the log nose heavy, will see the motive power ( either horses or bullocks ) run over from the rear when you want to stop, not a nice thing to do to the animals.
There were a few horses and bullocks killed and injured, before it was worked out that you needed the log to be nose heavy.

By having the log nose heavy, when you started the team pulling, the nose came up of the ground and so long as forward pressure was applied, the nose stayed clear of the ground and it all just kept rolling along nicely.

greenie

Here's a picture showing how the Whim was first used, it had a Jinker attached to the front of the long bar on the Whim, so it was used as a four wheel vehicle. Somebody had the Jinker collapse and were stuck out in the scrub with just the Whim, so they used the Whim as a stand alone vehicle.
OK, it wasn't very successful until a few kinks had been ironed out, like how to stop it killing the motive power, when that was worked out, the Whim then became a stand alone vehicle and was used right up to the mid 1950's in Western Australia's Jarrah and Karri forests.

mabloodhound

Thanks for the explanation which now makes sense.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: greenie on March 06, 2019, 05:32:59 PM
The big chain in the middle of the log is positioned so that the log is of the ground at the middle and rear, this is to allow the log to be a bit nose heavy, so when the motive power stops, then the nose of the log will dig into the ground and all proceedings will just come to a stop.
Failure to load the log nose heavy, will see the motive power ( either horses or bullocks ) run over from the rear when you want to stop, not a nice thing to do to the animals.
There were a few horses and bullocks killed and injured, before it was worked out that you needed the log to be nose heavy.

By having the log nose heavy, when you started the team pulling, the nose came up of the ground and so long as forward pressure was applied, the nose stayed clear of the ground and it all just kept rolling along nicely.

Hence the advancement from Stiff Tongue Big Wheels to the Slip Tongue Big Wheels in the Western Pine Forests, to protect the teams and workers.

Bill Gill

Here's a bit of video (2m 41s total, look starting about 15 seconds for a few seconds more.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWRscujkPxU

finescalerr

I feel rather sympathetic toward the horse. -- Russ

greenie

That Belgian Draft Horse sure is a good example of decent horse flesh, specifically bred to do the job that he excels at doing. :-)

Lawton Maner

Many of the larger draft animals were originally breed to be the transport for armored knights in addition to doing the heavy lifting.  IMHO, I would rather have a team of oxen then one of horses as they aren't as skittish, work a bit more slowly and in general can out pull a pair of draft horses.  Strong, gentle, steady workers who if well kept would work for more then 20 years.
     Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has since the beginning kept oxen as draft animals and I can remember Tom and Jerry who were a matched pair used to pull a delivery cart through the restoration.  For a number of years the young son of their handler would dress in period costume and lead them down Duke of Gloucester Street by a light cord tied to the nose ring of the lead ox.  It was great to see a 55 pound 9 year old controlling almost 2 tons of muscle with a cord which was to light to be used on a dog leash.  When they would stop in front of one of the stores, they would be restrained by a wooden block with a ring through one side tied to the cord as a reminder.   

greenie

Tis me again to annoy you once more.

This time it's a Bakers Waggonette made to 1/12th scale.

Just finished this one today, it has taken me just over 6 months of graft to get it finished, sometimes life just gets in the way of a decent hobby, eh.

The original full sized vehicle is on display at the Redlands Museum in Cleveland, Qld.
This vehicle was originally used around the Redlands District for bread deliveries, so now it's where it belongs, in the local Museum. It was reconditioned and given a liquid overhaul many years ago by an expert carriage builder by the name of Alex Hamilton.
He was the last of the old time carriage builders from around Brisbane, Qld.
His family had been Carriage-Makers at Kedron, Qld for about a century, that's his grandfather and then his father joined the business, so Alex just had too follow along into the same business.

I had to do a series of drawings before I could start to make the model, I didn't have a drawing similar, so plenty of photo's and lot's of measurements with a lot more time spent at the computer doing the drawings.

Mostly timber construction, with a few bits of sheet acrylic used for the wheel fellies and used Acrylic for the shafts as well. A lot of brass was used for most of the metal work, then a bit of steel turned down for the tyres and key-steel used for the axles.
All nuts and bolts are hand made using bronzing rods for the bolts and K & S square brass section  for the nuts.
Paint is just ordinary enamel house paint and the decals are all done in house using an ALPS MD 5500 printer, bloody magic bit of gear that ALPS printer, you can make a much better decal than what you could ever do with a Laser or Inkjet printer.
Each wheel has 67 decals added to it, so for the four wheels that's 248 decals, don't ask how many on the complete model as I have never bothered to count each and every one of them. It took me about a week, to put all the decals onto the model.

Plenty of photo's showing what medium I used for the construction and then lot's more showing the finished model.

The last two photo's are of the full sized vehicle at the Museum.

So have a look and any questions, then please ask.

5thwheel

Beautiful, well done Greenie.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

finescalerr

Your models are always perfect and this one is yet another example of fastidious craftsmanship. Most satisfactory.

How do you make the spoke shape transition from round to oval?

Russ

greenie

G'day Russ, have a look thru this lot, think it explains most things I do, if not, then ask and I'll attempt to explain it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/965313566821742/permalink/2020965034589918/

regards  Greenie   ;)

SandiaPaul

All these models are simply fantastic. One of my favorites things on here. Thanks for sharing them with all.
Paul

greenie

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words, they definately are appreciated.

regards. Greenie.   ;D

Bill Gill

As has been already said, your work is always a joy to see and read about.
I also hope it will be inspiring. At some point I still intend to try to convert a Jordan popcorn wagon into a Freihofer bakery delivery wagon for the New England Berkshire & Western. Your latest bakery waggonette can help motivate to start.