• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Greenie, you linked the images from Imagur and, at the moment, they're not showing. I would guess Imagur is having server problems, a least in my region. Once again, it is necessary to load in actual images to this site. Links break and sites shut down and then none of us can see what you built! -- Russ

greenie

Always have a look thru here ------------------------  :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/965313566821742/?fref=nf

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful work, as always!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Hi Carlo, have a look at this lot and all will  be revealed --------------------------  :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/965313566821742/permalink/2020965034589918/

finescalerr

This time I was able to see the model. Superb as usual. -- Russ

Scratchman

Old fuel wagon, more photos when I can get inside the fence.

Gordon Birrell
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

Bill Gill

Greeniw,  Have you shown how you make your decals? They are terrific, and like Carlo, I'd love to see how you make your wheels.
But, alas, not a member of Facebook, so can't see them on the link to posted.

greenie

G'day Bill, the decals are made using very old technology, I use an old Windows XP computer and an Alps MD 5500 printer.
I have to use this old XP to be able to tell the old Alps what to do, I have tried a newer version of Windows, but it wont tell the printer what to do.
I create the designs using CorelDraw then just print them out.
I try to find an old horse drawn vehicle similar to what I am making and use the old designed scrollwork, that way the model looks about period correct.
The modern scrolling looks like somebody has done it whilst high on meth, it just doesn't cut it for me.

Nothing really special about it at all.

The following photo's show the vehicle that I used as inspiration for the latest model, you can see the old original scrollwork and Regency Stripes I swiped and used for the model.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: greenie on April 01, 2020, 03:30:32 PM
Hi Carlo, have a look at this lot and all will  be revealed --------------------------  :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/965313566821742/permalink/2020965034589918/

Wow! Really interesting to see how you made the wheels. What a lot of work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Thanks, Greenie. I remembered that you use an Alps printer.
Do you have drawings of your various carts & wagons that you import into Corel Draw to use as a template for designing your decals?
The decals fit your models so precisely, and given all the curved surfaces I wondered I how you did that.
Also I cannot see any halftone dots or other dithering patterns on your decals, how do you accomplish that? Do you print in solid colors for each color?

greenie

G'day Bill, I import very few drawings into CorelDraw, it is mostly drawn by myself in CorelDraw and altered to suit the model.
If I do import any drawings, it is only to chase the design and make it suit the model, circles are easily made, straight and curved lines the same.
Once the model is made and unpainted, I bring it inside to the computer desk and measure everything, so that it will suit/fit the model.
Once the decal has been drawn in CorelDraw, I print it out on a shitty old Brother HL-2142 printer as a solid black colour, then cut each section/piece out and test fit it onto the unpainted model and adjust anything if it's  necessary.

If you operate the CorelDraw correctly, there is NO halftone dots or ANY dithering patterns created, you just tell the Alps printers to do it that way.
So each colour is printed onto the decal sheet as a solid colour, that's what an old Alps printer will do for you.

The other excellent thing about the Alps Printers is you can tell the printer to retract the paper after each colour, that way everything lines up perfectly.

So if I have to print Cyan, Yellow or Magenta, I undercoat those colours with a WHITE first, this eliminates any bleed thru of the body colours.

Black, Silver and Gold do not need any White undercoat, as they are very dense colours.

OK, they are getting old now and the colours are starting to become scarce, but the Alps printers shit all over the Laser and Inkjet printers for decals.

Mobilgas

Gordon    That old fuel wagon I like ;D But all the Gas Station signs are COOL there's some Cash this guy has wrapped up in all these signs.  I know somebody that has a sign pole from a old service station I can buy cheap $ I always wanted one for years...but ill have to pay someone to haul it for me and pay a sign company to install it and Electrify the pole for lights and who knows the cost for that ???
Craig

Bill Gill

Thanks, Greenie How many custom colors are available for the Alps? Besides gold & silver, are there more beyond CMYK?
You have good colors that seem like they are a lot more than printing one soild color over another

greenie

There are other colours available, but I only use the standard colours of White, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Gold and Silver.
Ebay has these other colours, but they want to sell them in bulk lots and they are quite expensive, so I haven't used any of them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Elephants-Rocket-Spot-Color-Ink-All-11-colors-each-3-ZK-MDC-A113-ALPS-printer/302913121466?hash=item4687076cba:g:Rs8AAOSwxudbZa9i

Barney

Outstanding excellence
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson