• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Wagons are great things to model. Unfortunately the horses that go with them are another matter entirely. You do nice work, Gus. -- Russ

Gus

Thanks for the kind comments folks - and those coming from craftsmen whose work is astounding!!!!!

.........and that's why I stay a looooooooong ways away from horses Russ.

Cheers - Gus

chester

A beautiful buggy Gus. My favorite wood to work with.

greenie

Thought I better be polite and say hello to everybody, so HI to ALL.

Gordon Birrell - aka - Scratchman, (thanks Gordon)  posted this site, over at the Horse Drawn Forum and I've been lurking around here for quite a while, I'm just amazed at what some of you lot have been getting up too.

I'm into horse drawn stuff mainly, so this thread/posting is right  up my ally. I've done other stuff as well, if anybody is interested, they can have a quick look thru here.

http://community.webshots.com/user/radish1us

To show you what I've been up to, here's one I made a few years ago. It's in 1/12th scale and is a Farmers Spring Waggon. I like doing Australian  horse drawn stuff, I get my plans from some books published here in Aust, which are full of drawings of these type of vehicles.

regards  Graham

finescalerr

Gordon Ferguson

Very , Very nice ..............

Could you share a little detail on how you did all paintings , especially the lining on the wheels, etc.
Gordon

greenie

Quote from: finescalerr on September 04, 2011, 01:32:09 AM
Satisfactory. -- Russ

Quote from: gfadvance on September 04, 2011, 01:48:56 AM
Very , Very nice ..............

Could you share a little detail on how you did all paintings , especially the lining on the wheels, etc.

Only satisfactory ? ?  Hmm, wonder what you need to do for something better than that ? ?

The painting was just air brushed enamel house paint, the cheapest I could find. Used Testors SAND for the undercoat which works brilliantly, then hit it with blue, or, the cream for the undercarriage.

The striping is usually done with Corel Draw to create whatever design I'm after, and then onto a clear decal sheet, using an ALPS MD 5500 printer.

With the Farmers Spring Waggon, the red and cream striping on the blue body, is from some railway decals I got from a friend, then the centre scrolls/swirls are from some 1/25th model truck decal sheets, as are all the other fancy scrolls/swirls on the undercarriage.
If you look real close at the red & cream lining, you can just make out that each panel is made up of 8 different decal bits, to create that one panel, four corner bits and four straight bits were required, very tedious cutting and pasting them, now the ALPS does them as one bit.
All the striping on the wheels, was done with the ALPS printer.

regards  Graham

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the info Graham, wish I had access to an ALPS printer.

The close-ups are even better ........... have great admiration for the work you have done on this, the repetitive bits look identical a feat I can never achieve.

By the way a "satisfactory" from the man is high praise!!!!
Gordon

mabloodhound

That is a LOT of decal work, and well done!   Now in 1:48 scale it would be another matter ;D ;D
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

DaKra

Beautiful work on the wagon, Graham.   The pinstriping is just superb! 

Do you have your own Arps, and would you consider some printing some custom work?   Or swapping custom decals for custom laser cutting?

Dave

Ray Dunakin

Wow! Excellent work! That wagon's a real beauty.

"Satisfactory" is indeed high praise from Russ. If he gets really worked up, he might even throw in a modifier, for instance, "Quite satisfactory".

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

greenie

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 04, 2011, 04:34:37 PM

"Satisfactory" is indeed high praise from Russ. If he gets really worked up, he might even throw in a modifier, for instance, "Quite satisfactory".

Woops, better back up a bit then and say, ---  Russ, thank you for the compliment.

regards  Graham

greenie

Quote from: DaKra on September 04, 2011, 09:10:15 AM

Do you have your own Arps, and would you consider some printing some custom work?   Or swapping custom decals for custom laser cutting?

Dave

Hi Dave, the possibilities here sound endless, please check your private messages.

regards  Graham

greenie

Here's one I've just finished.

It's a Sydney Brass Sulky in 1/8th scale, I had to go a bit bigger in scale to get in all the detail that's required.

Here's a picture of the original vehicle, that I got all the details to make the model from.

I used hundreds of decals on this model, all decals were done on the ALPS. Each wheel alone, has 75 decals added to it.
All nuts and bolts that can be seen are hand made, only used 2  store bought  3mm  nuts which are hidden away in the brass axle caps.

Here's the model.

regards  Graham

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly!!! That's one terrific model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World