• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Waterfront Diorama (WW2)

Started by marc_reusser, January 16, 2010, 02:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I thought this was a very nicely done dio titled "Destination Atlantic". It was posted on the MIG forum by a new member from Germany named Höxter.

I don't know what scale....though from the figures and some of the other objects in the scene I am thinking 1/35....which makes the sub quite the impressive build (I believe it is scratch, as I have never seen a kit for one.)

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

It looks very much like Andrea's 1:32-scale U-Boat conning tower kit, with improved detailing (Andrea also does a complete U-boat kit in 1:32 scale, if you've got a few thousand Euros to spare). They do a handful of crew in 1:32 scale, but their main range of U-boat crewmen is in 1:72 scale (and very nice as Braille Scale goes).

Edit: Well I got that one wrong. He's since posted on the Mig forum that it's an Accurate Armour 1:35-scale conning tower on a scratchbuilt hull.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Tom Neeson

Nice modeling I suppose...but man, where is the focus? A couple guys sitting reading the paper, a ships captain leaning against a wall, looking like he's about to hurl, some diver bobbing up in the water.

Sorry, having a bad day and grumpy.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Philip Smith

a typical re arm scene.....10 different things going on at once. beans, bullets, POL's
Nicely done!

Philip

shropshire lad

Marc ,

That diorama was at EuroMilitaire . And jolly nice it was to . Not as nice as Ulf Blomgren's "Schiffstratten ", but to me that was exceptional .

Tom ,

Why does it need focus ?  It is portraying a scene of a dozen different people doing a dozen different things , how can you focus on one thing .

Nick , not having a bad day and feeling fine

Hauk

Beautiful modelling, no doubt about it!

But not a very convincing scene.
The diorama is  good expample of modellers tendency to romanticize things.

This looks like a leisure craft picking up supplies during a nice holiday trip along the french coast. 

Take a look at the sort of fascilities the german U-boats docked at in France:
http://www.uboat-bases.com/ang/index.php

Of course it is impossible to portray a u-boat base like this in 1/35, but I feel that a very skilled modeller (as we are certainly dealing with here!) could come up with a more interesting diorama.

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Marc988

Nice dio  !!

Accurate Armouw also makes a waterline model of the complete sub ! http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=13&subcategory=27&product=587  You only need an additional spare hobby room for a dio with this beast  ;D

Quote from: shropshire lad on January 17, 2010, 01:53:46 AM
That diorama was at EuroMilitaire . And jolly nice it was to . Not as nice as Ulf Blomgren's "Schiffstratten ", but to me that was exceptional .

Now you make me curious !   ;)   Any links/pics of the other dio ?!   ::)

Tom Neeson

Definately great modeling, no question about that, I just feel the dio would benefit by removing some unnecessary figures.

And yes, the work on the JBA Diorama site is amazing, his water effects are ridiculously good. Very thought provoking.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Krusty

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!

Jean-Bernard André!!! We are not worthy!!!

That guy has got to be my all-time hero when it comes to diorama modelling. He takes it from modelling to art. There are people who are better modelling technicians, but he has no equal when it comes to story-telling, mood and message.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

shropshire lad

Of course , we are not comparing "like for like" here , because they are two totally different types of modelling .

Tom , you are probably right that Hoxter's diorama could do with losing a few figures , but as it is trying to portray a scene of frenetic activity, the newspaper loungers apart, there does need to be quite a number of figures . If all we can criticise it for is not having a focus and too many figures then he hasn't done to badly . Actually , there are lots of things one could comment on , but the overall effect is pleasing .

"Sokol" (the chap hanging his washing up) is still my favourite JBA diorama ,

Nick

DaKra

Can't get excited about it.   Something I've noticed in several large scale dioramas that detracts-- figures dressed for  different weather in the same scene.   Here some sitting around in shirtsleeves, and others are standing around dressed for sea duty in full leather coats and pants and scarves and binoculars.   Consistency is lacking. 

Andi Little

Newbie here!......................

WOW........... Tough crowd!
KBO..................... Andi.

shropshire lad

Welcome Andi to SPNP .

Or better know as the Society for Pedants and Nit Pickers . To fully endorse your membership just post some photos of your work here and leave the rest to the Boyz !

I promise you WILL recover . Eventually .

Nick

finescalerr

They tend to go easy on me because they realize I'm beyond hope. Or maybe because I'm the forum administrator. I've never been quite certain of the reason .... -- Russ