• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sternwheel engines

Started by Les Tindall, July 04, 2021, 07:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

The forum always seems to be a fount of knowledge. So here's the question:

On sternwheeler engines (ones with Pitman lever valve gear) are they reversed using a linkage from near the boiler (which can be some distance away) or by levers situated beside the engines (in which case an additional person is required as I am presuming the steam flow to the engines is controlled from valves by the boiler)?   

Les Tindall

Barney

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ships_Engine_Order_Telegraph.png
Now every one will SAY Im WRONG but Captain Birdseye said the ships telegraph see above link would be used- basically a man on the bridge does the orders and a man in the engine room does the rest some early versions were just a brass trumpet you shouted down it went down a tube to the engine room the steam from the boilers would be also controlled by "the man " down below or at the rear of the ship in this case
Barney
still asleep !!
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

I don't know squat about sternwheeler river boats, but perhaps there might be something helpful in this video which was shot aboard the Nachez:

https://youtu.be/kPamW4DzccA

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

5thwheel

These photos are from the City of Portland in Portland, Oregon. The boilers are separate from the engines. The reversing is operated via a quadrant (no picture) at the head of the engines. by the engineer.   
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

The pilot house
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Les Tindall

Thanks all, Bill I think your photos may have answered the question with a crew of 2 on the engines.  One - the "boilerman" keeping the fire going and operating the steam inlet valves, to the cylinders and the other (possibly 15 feet away from the boiler by the engines) operating the reversing gear (the drawings I have do not show any steam valves/wheels by the cylinders so must have been operated from the boiler), both having communication with the pilot from the wheelhouse via speaker tubes or telegraph. I suppose wages were cheap in those days (around 1910)!
Les

Les Tindall

Been doing some more thinking on this. The "engineer" would have to be pretty nimble, if there was no linkage between the 2 cylinders to reverse them, he would have to run around 10 feet across the engine room (possibly on the early boats full of cargo) and then inform the pilot and boilerman that this had been done and they could allow then steam back into the cylinders.  Good communication was required, reversing one engine before the other is not good for machinery! (ther new boats such as "Natchez" have more modern equipment  and not the rather crude Pitman valve gear. Any further thoughts and comment welcome.
Les

5thwheel

Les, Maybe this will help.  Are you planning on building a model a stern wheeler?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Les Tindall

Thanks again Bill, a useful picture.  Barney and I have also been chatting by email with suggestions and ideas. It's coming together.   I have started on the engines for a 1/24th scale sternwheeler workboat with a steam dredger at the front. Outline idea attached.
Les

Les Tindall

Oops - vertical paddleboats! 
The Engines look a bit like sewage pipes with lever on top. That is the Pitman lever valve gear, its a slow revving, low pressure engine.  I've still got to figure out where the steam valves go to operate the engines as non of the drawings I have show them.
Les   

5thwheel

A small stern wheeler wood fired boiler single stack.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

A small stern wheeler similar to what you are trying to design.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Les Tindall

Thanks Bill, that drawing of the sternwheeler is just about the right size for the one I am think of building. It's also useful as it gives the width versus length ratio. Important to make the boat "look right". I presume the little room at the back (sorry stern) of the boat is the WC (loo, dunny, toilet, heads - whatever you eant to call it).

Les   

5thwheel

Quote from: Les Tindall on July 13, 2021, 01:35:55 AM
Thanks Bill, that drawing of the sternwheeler is just about the right size for the one I am think of building. It's also useful as it gives the width versus length ratio. Important to make the boat "look right". I presume the little room at the back (sorry stern) of the boat is the WC (loo, dunny, toilet, heads - whatever you eant to call it).

Les   
Could be the head but probably had a holding tank below. [I can just imagine turds etc. sticking to the paddle wheel blades] I suggest you have a squared off bow like a barge. Looks like a fun project.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

Quote from: Les Tindall on July 07, 2021, 01:06:39 PM
Oops - vertical paddleboats! 
The Engines look a bit like sewage pipes with lever on top. That is the Pitman lever valve gear, its a slow revving, low pressure engine.  I've still got to figure out where the steam valves go to operate the engines as non of the drawings I have show them.
Les   
The engines should have a long stroke. alleys say your boat is 90 feet long: it would require two engines w/ 8" diameter cylinder X 42" stroke. It would consume 4 1/2 cords per hour. I hope you can read the chart attached.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.