• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Shed

Started by Barney, March 05, 2021, 07:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

After many stops and starts I think might even be going places -where no one knows at the moment - The shed built on the site of the old "Pump House" what it pumped who knows !
The wooden construction would have been reclaimed timber found on the site along with other useful items -
Starting with the concrete floors I used Plaster coloured with brick colouring - the timber is mainly Kappler and Mt Albert scale timber stained with my "home brew" colouring mix I wanted a newish reclaimed looked as if it was built a year or two back the interior with a lived in look but not to much of a shambles -
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

The concrete floors I nibbled it with a Dremel fitted with a ball type end - next is the construction of the bench mainly plastic card and Evergreen strips Progress has been made and I have now painted the bench and it is ready for the normal bench clutter
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Also under construction ( that's on the night shift modelling session ) a RUTH Mining Critter - petrol engine version modified through the years of service in the mine now sporting a slab type fuel tank for the petrol and Paraffin (starts on petrol until warm then switched over to Paraffin / Kerosine )the radiator is larger and the engine she been upgraded to with an improved ignition system - The engine is from a ICM models -Ford model T the rest of the little critter is mainly Plastic card and acrylic rod for the wheels
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Barney

The front of the Shed - Track gauge is 18in and the scale is 1/24th
Stuart McPherson

TRAINS1941

Very nice!

What do use for that coloring?  You know the "Home Brew"?

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Barney

Now I hope no one is watching as its top secret stuff - I just use Humbrol Enamel use a dark grey matt colour  thinned with cheap white spirt - just brush it on and leave to dry - for newer wood I make it thinner - for rely aged Sun bleach type I give it a quick wipe of Humbrol white matt over to top of the grey
Barney
HUMBROL RULES
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Forgot to say -Sometimes I brush it Then lightly wipe it off  with a bit of rag until the desired shade of weathering is acquired  - rely its just a matter of trial and error until you are happy with the effect
Barney
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

When a project looks as good as yours in mid-construction, we know it will turn out to be very impressive. Please keep posting. -- Russ

Bernhard

Nice stuff, Barney. The Ruth trammer has been on my to-do list for a while, too. Do you have any more information on this than can be found on americanindustrialmining.com?

Bernhard

Barney

The Ruth trammer is a bit of a mystery one - not much anywhere -  The American Industrial mining people appear to have the Most Info' I think years ago
The "Narrow Gauge and Short line Gazette have an article about it but it was some years ago perhaps someone on the forum might have a copy and can throw a bit more light on it
A couple of years back at One of the tractor shows one of the book sellers had a copy of a drivers manual and service guide but it was a bit brief and not much more about it more of a Sales Brochure -
Barney 
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Collecting bits for the shed
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Bench now installed
Stuart McPherson

Barney

Side view with water pump and back of Electric control panel
Stuart McPherson

Barney

The other side with electric control panel for generator
Stuart McPherson

Hydrostat

Love those electric devices!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"