• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Narrow gauge tramway loco

Started by Peter_T1958, November 18, 2020, 08:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Both the bogie sides and castings for the mechanism looks mighty fine!

I am especially interested in the drive system. It will be very interesting to see how well it performs. The design looks very good, but the proof of the pudding is in the driving!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Design-HSB

Hello Peter, absolutely all around everything succeeded.

I have been using successfully for decades, a GRIFFON - S-39 Universal flux from the Netherlands.

This allows even dirty corroded metal to be soldered.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Peter_T1958

Hi Helmut

I have just ordered it! Hmmm, a respectable price with those shipping costs! But it will last for another few years::)

Thank you all for your comments!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Design-HSB on March 13, 2021, 05:06:41 AM
I have been using successfully for decades, a GRIFFON - S-39 Universal flux from the Netherlands.

Thanks to Helmut's hint I made some progress in soldering. Step by step it etched and printed brass parts are coming together:

The motorisation of the bogies is on its way too. Only the fact, that the wheels (Slaters) aren't exactly to scale dampen the joy, but I will try to design my own wheels - a great challenge for me...

Design-HSB

Hi Peter,

I am pleased that you have first successes in soldering with S39.
The housing of the locomotive also looks good.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Excellent, neat fabrication. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Excellent work Plus- very neat and clean - and well worked out
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bernd

Hi Peter,

I'm the new guy here, but I've been on the net and forums for some time now.

I saw your question about pantographs. A while back I built four freelance design electric box cabs. I had to build mu own pantographs. Back in many years in a Model Railroader magazine was an article on building pantographs. Bob Hegge explained how he built them for his 1:48 scale electric engines.

Here's a couple of ones I built for my HOn30 box cabs.

I have a whole write up but haven't posted it yet to my website.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bill Gill

Peter, that is impressively clean  and precise assembly. Your soldering skills have developed exceptionally well.

Bernd, Welcome to the forum. That is a good looking pantograph, and it's HO scale.

Bernd

Thanks Bill.

I hope this is some help to Peter.

Bernd

Ray Dunakin

Wow! That is some mighty fine work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Thanks for your feedback, gents!

After a long lean period, soldering is already fun – when you possess the correct tools😉

Here some progress: the engine stands on ist own feets and, unsurprisingly I decided to rework the vehicle frame. It simply wasn't sufficiently exact!

The same problem with the wheels. After a long back and forth and after looking up the various standards I had to realise that the wheels don't fit any of these standards – they were too narrow. So I am going to design my own wheels. Here a first attempt. No idea, if these printed steel parts are machinable at all...:-\

@Bernd
Your pantographs are looking very fine! I have ordered two 0-gauge Sommerfeldt pantographs to dissect them and to do my own ones in the right dimensions. Some oft the parts have to be replaced with brass castings. Here the CAD drawing. It looks, as if they can be printed in brass in such filigrane style...

Cheers,
Peter

Bernd

Thank you Peter for the kind words.

I'll be following along to see how you make your pantographs with great interest.

Bernd

Sami

I've never built locomotives and I admire your work.
It's beautiful !