• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 Bucket chain excavator Ertmer KB 1

Started by Bernhard, October 27, 2019, 03:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

The bucket ladder support

Bernhard

The chain with the buckets

Bernhard

A few small parts, among others the builders plate

Bernhard

In the first step all loose small parts are chemically blackened.
The remaining parts are prepared for priming.

Bernhard

For primer I have chosen this time a solvent-based paint for industrial application, but it can be applied with the airbrush gun if diluted appropriately.

Bernhard

But this happens if you spray this paint too dry (with too much air, too little paint): it solidifies in the air to a candyfloss like web. This must be carefully removed before further painting.
After drying, the primer appears in a light rust red. This corresponds almost exactly to the color tone, which, weathered and faded, is still partially visible on the prototype.

Bernhard

Now follows the "rusting" of the surfaces. This is quite time-consuming. The paint is not sprayed, but different brown and rust tones are dabbed on with a small sponge. Finally a brown/grey wash is applied.
The surface with the rust and the partly underneath still visible primer does not correspond badly to the prototype.

Now the bucket chain excavator can be reassembled step by step.

Bernhard

Bill Gill

The painting and assembling are looking very good.
The "candy floss" from spraying the paint looks like cobwebs coated with flakes of rust.

shitao

Hello Bernhard

Great work! The rusty surface ist very well reproduced.
Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

finescalerr

Satisfactory.

At this point I shall disclose that, in contrast to Bernhard's clean, neat organization, during construction my workbench and sub-assemblies generally resemble the devastation from a large bomb explosion. Some have suggested I look like that, too.

Russ

Ray Dunakin

Fantastic! The rusty/faded/worn paint looks very authentic.

That candy floss is interesting, I've never seen that happen before.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Simply successful Swiss precision work.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bernhard

Thanks guys for still following this thread.

There are successes to report. The bucket chain excavator can finally be assembled definitely!
First the closing flap is attached to the discharge hopper.

Bernhard

Next, traction drive and chain drive are installed again.

Bernhard

The bucket ladder support follows. The guy ropes are made of stainless steel with a diameter of 0.27 mm and 49 (!) strands.