• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 Bucket chain excavator Ertmer KB 1

Started by Bernhard, October 27, 2019, 03:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

... and in step 3, we put the stiffeners in place.

Bernhard

Now the bottom plate in this piece of the bucket ladder is still missing. For this I first mill a bending jig out of wood.

Bernhard

A soft annealed brass sheet is bent over this. It is important that the width is exactly right, because the sheet must be fitted exactly at the bottom of the bucket ladder.

Bernhard

Then the excess of the sheet metal is carefully milled off. Here the milling is done in a synchronous way so that the milling cutter presses the brass sheet against the gauge and not away from it.

Bernhard

The U-shaped sheet is separated into two parts.

Bernhard

The bending gauge is converted to a soldering gauge with an additional piece.

Bernhard

The finished bottom plate.

Bernhard

And here is the finished upper part of the bucket ladder. The four support rollers for the chain are mounted only after painting, so that no paint mist gets into the bearings.

Bernhard

But then the nasty surprise: the bucket ladder does not fit into the excavator. I did not use a spacer for the bucket ladder when assembling the two side frames. So I had to try to push the two side frames carefully a few tenths of a millimeter apart without damaging anything.

Bernhard

Fortunately it worked! Now the bucket ladder can be installed.

Bernard

Design-HSB

Hello Bernhard,

congratulations absolutely outstanding craftsmanship.

Thank you for showing.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

I am so impressed, not only with this latest assembly but with the entire model so far, that I have no idea what to say. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on January 19, 2020, 02:10:43 AM
Fortunately it worked! Now the bucket ladder can be installed.

Glad it worked out. Fantastic project!

Have you received the casting for the buckets, by the way?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past