• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Salt Marsh

Started by marc_reusser, December 07, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: Mobilgas on January 08, 2013, 05:22:49 PM
Gordon,  My thoughts  on the wood rudder is this  ;)...being the boat is so rotten there should be no wood LEFT.  Just model the metal that held all the wood together.

I would say that is a moot point . I reckon it would take longer for a hardwood rudder to rot than the metalwork to rust .

Totally unscientific opinion with no evidence to back it up so probably wrong . But I just felt like arguing with you !

Nick

finescalerr

If you do yet another rudder à la Craig's idea, I would think it would have a few remnants of bleached out wood with perhaps a few dabs of green paint (for instance, adjacent to the metalwork). I suppose we could nitpick almost any model to death but I like what you've done very much. Proceed at your own peril. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Shucks ................... it is a tough audience

After months, seriously, of trying  to find a way to do old wood which satisfies me and then thinking I was getting in touching distance ......

Now you don't want wood !

Think I might sulk  ;D
Gordon

Andi Little

Well ..... I'm stuck between two stools here!!

On the one hand I've finally solved my ongoing computer problems with an all singing new 24" Monitor!! - It's like being at the flicks it's so good. And clarity - WOW!
So I can now see exactly how crap everything is - except it still isn't: and this is where I hit the second stool. I happen to think what Gordon's achieved is bloody marvellous. Yes, I know on here we/you all pride ourselves on being honest and not just dribbling sycophants. But, c'mon: the guy is trying really, really - bloody hard to appease and impress you lot.
He's modelling out of his skin and at the limits of his understanding here - yes I know it will do him the power of good in the end but a big hug wouldn't go amiss every now and then.
Also ...... !    There's that thorny little phenomenon called "expression". I've seen so many people trying to bestow the title "Art" onto modelling - without giving much thought to what Art actually is - and to what the piece might potentially be alluding too!
And I'm not saying this is a piece of Art elect, but one must at some point consider the emotional impetus of its creation ... "the learning curve" in this instance.

In short  ------------- Give the guy a break for Chris'sakes!!

{Tongue ... obviously,and firmly - embedded].
KBO..................... Andi.

Barney

A bit of wood and metal if its any help for you Gordon - I think Humbrol must have been used !!
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Andi, but don't worry I am more than big enough to come back fighting ........ And I was only kidding !!

Now I am off to think about what could be one of the greatest back-hand compliments I ever received

" and at the limits of his understanding here"

:D :D :D
Gordon

mabloodhound

Gordon,  the rusting is super and my choice would have been for the first decrepit rudder.   
I liked the fact that it was so badly deteriorated as opposed to the last choice.
And then some added weathering as Uncle suggested.
Very nice.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

5thwheel

Quote from: gfadvance on January 07, 2013, 03:04:24 PM
Barney ,absolutely no need to use the F word around here , some of us are still under sixty so have not heard of that sort of language before.

Now, I played around with existing rudder to see how decrepit I could make it ......... ended liking the colouring but grain/wear a bit out of the Walt Disney book so it will get changed.

on my monitor that image is about 4 times actual size and close up reveals more work to be done on rust around stern post

Actually I think this looks pretty good except I think you are in love with the tiller and top of the rudder.  They are too nicer and clean when I think they should be rotted off.  How about adding some barnacles or a cluster of mussels?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on January 09, 2013, 03:07:28 AM
Thanks Andi, but don't worry I am more than big enough to come back fighting ........ And I was only kidding !!

Now I am off to think about what could be one of the greatest back-hand compliments I ever received

" and at the limits of his understanding here"

:D :D :D

Hey , Gordon , why do you think none of the rest of us post photos of what we are doing !

For what it is worth I think your rudder looks fine .It just needs some finishing touches .

Nick 

chester

Funny how things decay in the salt water. I've seen wood last for years and fall apart when all the metal fittings and nails simply dissolve. And I've seen piles of metal with the wood completely gone. All that said, the rudder looks just perfect to me. And please don't put muscles on it, use mussels instead.

Ray Dunakin

I might as well toss in my own two cents. Keep in mind that maritime subjects are not my area of expertise...

1. I think it looks pretty good as is.

2. Whether or not the upper portions of the rudder should be more rotted, would depend on how high the water gets, wouldn't it? Does the tide periodically submerge it entirely, or only partway?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

michael mott

Hi Gordon, for what it's worth, I think that colour is wrong. the green just doesn't look right. Given that the hull is as rusted as it is, I would suspect that the wood would have bleached by now, given that most of the paint would have flaked off, the sun would bleach what remains to a faded pale whitish colour whatever the wood.

Michael

Wesleybeks

Hi Gordon

I think the picture below shows your heading in the right direction with this.

Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

chester

That photo is spot on for what I see down by the water here Wesley.