• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Salt Marsh

Started by marc_reusser, December 07, 2012, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Marty, sorry have not looked at this thread for a while .... will post details of the different types of "water" I have tried later , and you are right the creep factor is still very difficult to control.

Trying at the moment to complete a finished piece based on some of the learning ........ should be a an old rusty boat have sunk into a grass  salt marsh , at the moment one side has been maybe 70% painted and the interior has been started , the inside is planned to be silted up probable with some grass growing in it as well

its a working base/cradle its sitting on but that is the planned angle of sit and the real base will probably only be fractionally bigger
Gordon

marc_reusser

What the hell!?.....beautifully done hull...great little scene. I am as green as your base, with envy (and curiosity).

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 26, 2012, 02:29:58 PM
What the hell!?.....beautifully done hull...great little scene. I am as green as your base, with envy (and curiosity).

Yeah , like you couldn't do something similar if you were in the mood to " feel it , man " !

Gordon ,

Great looking rusty hulk . Looking forward to seeing the scene completed when I visit you next . I reckon it would compliment Marc's wooden wreck nicely when you display them together in Germany next year !

Nick

marc_reusser

QuoteYeah , like you couldn't do something similar if you were in the mood to " feel it , man " !

Mmmm...not really....maybe technically, but Gordon has that "Artistry" that that makes it.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Looks real good! But it will never float!
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

That looks terrific! I'm curious how you got the metal to look so corroded?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 26, 2012, 03:28:40 PM
QuoteYeah , like you couldn't do something similar if you were in the mood to " feel it , man " !

Mmmm...not really....maybe technically, but Gordon has that "Artistry" that that makes it.

Sorry , Old Bean , but I will not accept that statement . You have amply demonstrated your ability to make models like this . With , or without , added " artistry" .

Andi Little

Stupendous job Gordon - absolutely amazing. You really have been hiding your light under some kind of bushel lately. Like most everyone else I'm all agog to hear how this was done, and equally something as simple as where did you "get the/make the" boat hull in the first place? I've a dozen ideas flatlined for want of a small dingy hull.

Once again - Fantastic job.
KBO..................... Andi.

Malachi Constant

Whoa, wow and another ditto on how'd-ja do it?  (The flaky, corroding metal ... started with?  Then did what?)  Sure as heck suited to the marsh setting.  Nice!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Barney

Rot and corrosion at its best - looks like the underside of a Ford Cortina I once owned !
lovely inspirational work
Barney

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Will attempt to give some info on the rust ;-

The origonal resin boat shell was detailed with plastic strip after some pretty radical thinning with the old dremel and grinding bit

The shell was then given a mix of various rust shades using Tamiya paints and sealed with a light spray of dull-coat ..... this was just to provide a hard wearing base . Because my reference photos showed that under salt water rusting the metal showed serious corrosion , delamination of the metal + bubbling under the paint decided I had to add some texture. This was done by fixing some fine sand around the main rust areas

this additional texture was then used to hold the rust pigments which were then added and held in place with fixer, then a couple of coats of hair spray  were applied before  some colour was sprayed on.

After the majority of the paint was removed with water and stiff brushes, a light dusting of assorted pigments were added and finally a thinned mix of MIG rust oil paints were wicked into the rust pigments.

Hope this helps
Gordon

Malachi Constant

That looks like crap!  In a really good way.  Brilliant job of it.  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

lab-dad

Good SBS.
I wonder if you made a wooden hull shape (former) and the brushed on several coats of resin if it would also be a good starting point?
-Marty

Gordon Ferguson

Marty , think it would have been a better starting point than the way I approached it.

I did toy with the idea, and really wish I had, of using the resin hull I had as the former and vacuum forming a new hull from plastic card which would have made a much better representation of the origonal metal hull.

Marc sent me a lot of reference pictures when we were experimenting and there are a number of planked hulls that I might do in the future (not now or for a few years Marc  ;)  ) ......... and using a thin plastic shell and planking inside and out with paper would give a pretty close approximation to scale thickness 
Gordon