• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Blackening / darkening aluminum??

Started by lab-dad, May 28, 2012, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

OOOHHH!!!!
I like those ideas Dallas!
Going ot get some of that stuff and give it a try!
Thanks!
-Marty

Malachi Constant

Couple of notes on the glaze medium:

-- Used in THIN layers, it dries nice & flat.
-- It takes MUCH longer to dry than ordinary thinned or un-thinned acrylics and even longer to actually "cure" (set)
-- If you go too heavy, the glaze will take on a gloss

So:  go easy ... allow ample drying/curing time (I'll usually allow overnight) ... and resist the urge to mess with it before set.

If you screw up, go too heavy & get a bit of gloss (which I still do occasionally) ... let it fully set, then a couple light coats of Tamiya TS-80 Clear Flat spray will kill the gloss.  (And, in general the TS-80 beats the crap out of Testor's dullcoat ... but that might just be my very biased opinion!)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

searoom

Urine has been a traditional non-ferrous metal patina for centuries.

;D

W.P. Rayner

Quote from: shropshire lad on May 30, 2012, 09:10:41 AM
Horse pee will blacken oak shavings , something to do with the ammonia in the pee . Though I suspect you will have to have some pretty potent pee to blacken aluminium .

Do you want me to send you a pint or two of horse pee to have a bit of an experiment ? ! ? Or is your own toxic enough ?

Nick

A video clinic on this process would be most welcome Nick, especially the part where you convince the horse to pee into a cup....  ;D ;D

Paul

finescalerr

I think some of you need to go stand in the corner .... -- ssuR

shropshire lad

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on October 29, 2012, 07:27:51 PM
Quote from: shropshire lad on May 30, 2012, 09:10:41 AM
Horse pee will blacken oak shavings , something to do with the ammonia in the pee . Though I suspect you will have to have some pretty potent pee to blacken aluminium .

Do you want me to send you a pint or two of horse pee to have a bit of an experiment ? ! ? Or is your own toxic enough ?

Nick

A video clinic on this process would be most welcome Nick, especially the part where you convince the horse to pee into a cup....  ;D ;D

Paul

Er , nothing smaller than a two gallon bucket would be suitable . I'll get right onto it ... once I've finished my sojourn in the corner .

Nick

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc,

Your attention to detail sometimes leaves me completely gobsmaked  :o ::)
Gordon

W.P. Rayner

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 30, 2012, 03:34:23 AM
Geez...do I have to do all the heavy lifting.

Here you go Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKwX5V9eZ-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You know, this just proves that there are too many people in this world with video cameras and too much free time on their hands...

Paul

Lawton Maner

White Oak + Ammonia = Fumed Oak.  Think about the Stickley furniture from the late nineteenth century.  In the woodworking industry, the effect is done by placing the completed piece of furniture in an airtight box and exposing it to ammonia fumes for up to 24 hours.  At the end, when the piece comes out of the box, it is a greyish colour.  Rubbing a coat of wood finishing oil on the piece brings out the rich almost black colour associated with Stickley.  Fuming cherry will make pale pink new cherry timbers look as they have over ten years of patina on them over night.

I once fumed an entire room of white oak bookcases and paneling because after the client saw the finished room. he wanted it a bit darker.  We placed trays of blueprint developing grade ammonia in the room and checked it every other hour until the desired colour was reached.  Since there was a lacquer finish on all of the wood the change took several days.  BTW, don't try it at home, because that much ammonia in a closed space can KILL.

Tom McInerney

Went to a clinic last year at the Craftsman Expo and Brett buffs his blacken it back off with a wire brush to get the color he wants. Tom