• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Yet Another Quickie Chipping Test

Started by marc_reusser, January 04, 2013, 09:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Needed to try some chipping effects for the Daihatsu project....

Okay, these are far from pretty, and the color choice is atrocious, (these are straight from the chipping, no additional effects/weathering).....but all I really wanted to do with these is to test some ideas re chipped paint....and, I thought someone else might find them of interest.

The left piece was done to experiment with trying to create the streaked chipping effect often found on old wood, metal and after seeing it, I think it would possibly be useful for "winter whitewash". This one used a mix with AK chipping fluid.

The piece on the right, no effort was made to create an actual pattern/shape...but rather to try and create the softer, smaller chipped and blended edges, that occur at wear areas, and especially horizontal rusting surfaces such as car hoods, roofs and fenders. What I was really looking for in this experiment was the edges and mottled green remaining in the rust areas. This was done entirely without using any type of resist, under the paint (NO hairspray, chipping fluids, gum Arabic, rubber cement, salt etc.)

All paints were Tamiya. Both samples were covered with a light coat of Testors Dullcoat.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

I like the streaked effect. Was that done by streaking the resist, or by using linear motion to chip it? Or both?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Ray;
Thanks. The left piece was a 50/50 mix of AK fluid, and Gum Arabic, applied with an airbrush, Green was shot over the blue, then a soft, wide brush, with water, was used in upward vertical strokes, til the color started coming off. I shot dullcoat over it, but it still proved to be a bit unstable in follow up messing. Think some a different ratio, and/or a selective application may be needed.

Ok..hope this isnt getting lame/boring. These are really crude "concept" tests only. After the instability of the original left test, I tried something new to get that small chip ,vertical removal/streaking look, and because there were multiple leyers of old paint on this it also ended up being a bit of a layered removal at the same time.

The right hand piece is the same as the original, but I messed with it a bit more and got the look closer to what I am after, and while I was at it, I experimented with some scrathes, spot, and edge chipping.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Not lame .... "Brill' ".  This kind of stuff is so alien to me it's not true. And I have been trying to play with different bits and pieces, but nothings making a lot of sense quite yet.
I can see the direction I'm going in: but the subtlety, it evades me.
So, no! They're not lame, there's at least one person out here that's getting a lot from them - just don't expect him to produce anything like them.

PS - and as a bit of a spoiler Gordon's got a cracking update coming - [no pressure then Gordon] tee-hee ... snigger!!!
KBO..................... Andi.

billmart

Definitely not lame or boring. I'm new to the use of such techniques so any information I can get is appreciated.

Bill Martinsen

Gordon Ferguson

Always enjoy your little experiments, like others the vertical streaks appeals and turned around looks a good start for vertical weathering

what's next out of the lab ?
Gordon

chester

No not lame at all, the streaked example is fabulous. But the other seems to have had perhaps too much removed from the center although the edges look very good. Just my opinion.

danpickard

Hi Marc,
Quick question for you about experiences with the AK worn effects fluid.
After spraying the worn effects fluid over the initial base colour, is there a particular waiting time frame that the next steps are best done in?  I know I'e seen a few time on different discussions guys wait 30 minutes maybe after applying the worn effects, and then spray over the next colour layer, and then start the chipping/scratching soon after that next colour is dry.  What I was wondering though, is do you know if the second over colour can be left too long before starting to attack it? 

Main reason for asking is because of my limited and often short periods of modelling time, I wanted to know if I can lay down the worn effects, followed a bit later by the top colour layer, but then leave everything til the next day (or possibly a few days even) before coming back to start the wearing process?  Can the acrylic over layer set up too hard and prevent the process being done, or the worn effects loose it effect, if left too long essentially.

Cheers,
Dan