• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Well that is the most idiotic representation of a log flume I have ever seen.  

I have never seen a "dry" v shaped flume in all the years of collecting logging books and photos. And I honestly can't recall seeing a flume of that construction used to carry logs. The forces involved in having a log come careening down a flimsy contraption like that and then hitting one of those lovely kinks, would be extreme..and the flume side would not likely withstand that sort of impact. And lets say, even if that worked..how do you get the logs out once at the bottom...what the two guys sawing just happily lift it away? WTH.  Whoever built and conjured this up is a true denizen of the "short bus".

Flumes generally carried rough cut timbers/boards IN WATER (I can't recall of one used to cary logs...ath least not of the size they cut in the western states......maybe there was something back east, or something used for pulpwood, or cord-wood)

Logs don't just slide like marbles down a little, slightly sloped trough. They tend to have a boatload of friction..especially if they have contact on TWO surfaces...and no amount of greasing is just going to make it slide down some flimsy flume. That is why there are such things in logging as SKIDROADS, and SKIDWAYS....where yarders and donkeys...or in earlier days teams of oxen or mules dragged the logs.

Before people start building sh*t, they really need to do some factual research....even if just enough to be marginally plausible...which this isn't!

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

...  ;D whoa, easy M, easy ...  ;D ...

marc_reusser

Hey....I was being nice  ;D...otherwise I would have started in on the stone cabin....yeah, I've seen TONS of those in logging camps  ::)...oh, I could go on.  :-X ;D

...and don't get me started on the trees that look like my toilet brush. ::)

M-Works

lab-dad

May be they are rubber trees so they bend around the corners?
And then at the end they pole vault into the mill!
Mj

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 16, 2012, 04:10:50 AM
...and don't get me started on the trees that look like my toilet brush. ::)

... you own a toilet brush, that looks like a tree ...  ::) ... i. e. like THIS ONE ... but I would have suspected something more similar to THIS ... circus-wize ...  ;D 8)

shropshire lad

Marc ,

I thought you might enjoy those photos I went and took especially for you  ! I thought it best not to show you any more of the layout as you are not getting any younger and your old ticker might not take the shock .

I'm afraid that that was the general standard of the layouts ,

Nick

jacq01

QuoteI'm afraid that that was the general standard of the layouts

Take into account the NMRA sponsership. ;)  8)

The quality of a much of the locomotives and other rolling material was good to outstanding.
There was a lot of attention to weathering and grafiti.

Per Sjoeberg was the top attraction with IMHO mediocre landscaping and weathering clinics. Typical NMRA standard.

For the rest I concur with Marc. Mildly said, much showed a sorry state of understanding the topics displayed.

The meeting with Alan, Marcel and Sir Nicko turned up some nice idea's wich will be worked for further discussion and execution.
Particularry the idea's in 1:35 have our interest. And my renewed and increasing interest in modelling.
Only therefore it was a rewarding convention.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

danpickard

Dear Marc,
The flume isn't as bad as it looks...its just that Nick's poor flash photography has changed how it really looks ;D
It looks like a case of "I heard about these flume things once", and that might have been the limit of the research to the project.  The old logical hormones didn't appear to fire real well when they built that bit though!

Aside from that logging modelling brain fart, it was very nice to hear of some renewed spark for you Jacq, and a goo social trip.

Cheers,
Dan

finescalerr

Personally, I really enjoyed reading Marc's rant. He has offered far too few of late. Reminds me of the old days when he was in his prime. Besides, I always agree with him because he saves his rants for egregious transgressions.

I'm glad the convention went well and that, impossible flumes and stone logging cabins aside, Our Mighty Contingent came away with some inspiration.

Russ

Terry Harper

Sluicing Pulpwood - Maine style. Not many flumes were used here in Northeast. This one was used to sluice pulp wood (4 foot bolts) across the border from Quebec to Penobscot Lake. Yes, it was illegal.

Note the heavy construction and flat bottom.

Iam waiting for one of those guys in the model to catch a log in the head!  ;D

Best regards,

Terry

artizen

Back in the good old days before aerial surveillance - you could build an unknown log flume across borders!!! Well found.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Neat pic Terry. Thanks for posting.

Note also the size of the timbers used to build that. Quite unlike the 2x boards the modelling dork used to move his 20' long 2' diameter logs.

M

M-Works

Terry Harper

Hmmm...Looks like Maine is becoming the West Coast - First we have log flumes now we just had a 4.6 earth quake!

Here is a LOG SLIDE as opposed to a log flume. They use to grease the slide to help the logs get the best out of gravity. As you can see by the size of the logs this
was on the West Coast.

Ray Dunakin

I can understand someone who doesn't know anything about old time logging, who has seen a few photos of models and thinks, "I'd like to model that too!" And I can understand how even with some research they might make a few small technical errors.

But I don't understand why so many modelers don't seem to do any research at all, when the internet makes it so easy to do. With a minimum of effort you can find tons of photos and information about darn near anything, and whatever you can't find yourself, you can at least ask around online until you find someone who knows the answer.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Terry Harper

Ray, you are so right! Now that first photo I posted of the Maine Log flume I have had in my collection for years. I have had no other information other than "hearsay" that it was illegal.
Just out of curiosity I did a Google News Paper Archive search I found this....

A five minute search and I now have far, far more information than I ever thought I would ever find on this totally obscure, backwoods operation.
Sure brings into question the whole "Illegal" story about running the authorities all through the woods while the flume was destroyed!

Here is the complete article.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-3QpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hWYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1736,5139610&dq=penobscot+lake+log+sluice&hl=en