• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Iron Painter 8 Round 6 (Final!): "Last One Standing"

Started by Bexley, February 25, 2012, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bexley

Marc- 28mm. So, around 1/56. (The figures are actually a bit smaller than that, as they are not intended to represent women who are six feet tall.) Though, I more or less built it to 1/48 scale, which generally looks right, since 28mm figures are usually a bit chunkier for their height. The girls are from Hasslefree Miniatures, and the crawler is from Studio Miniatures. I agree with the cropping. (Should have known I'd get called on that here.) I cut the parts for the base and wall at work Friday before going home, but to had guess a bit on the size, as I hadn't yet constructed anything else. Should have gone about an inch shorter in both directions, but didn't have the time to change once I realized this. (It's 5" x 5".)
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

marc_reusser

Whoa!..5x5...that really makes it some really spiffy work all around!  I thought this was around 12x12.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Yeah, that's a lot smaller than I thought it was, too.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bexley

Heh. Yeah- remind me to smack Don Railton if I ever see him. That's his brick technique (with a few minor tweaks) and I hope I never become insane enough to try that at 1/48 again.

(Aw, who am I kidding. I know I'll do it again.)

Anyway. I'm glad it went over well. The main reason I haven't posted a lot of work here is that my painting and modeling time has been pretty absorbed by the gaming side of things the last two years, and those subjects are mostly out of place on this forum. But with Iron Painter running, and GenCon Indy approaching, I should have an upswing in more realistic modeling-heavy type projects.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Bexley on March 29, 2012, 06:59:54 PM
The main reason I haven't posted a lot of work here is that my painting and modeling time has been pretty absorbed by the gaming side of things the last two years, and those subjects are mostly out of place on this forum.

First, I also mistook the most recent diorama for being at a larger scale -- well played!

Second ... I'm not in charge here and don't make the rules ... but it certainly seems like the effort has been to DIVERSIFY the subject matter and suspect that more samples of your modeling work, regardless of subject, would be entirely welcome.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Well, I would concur with Mr. Mallerich. Tis not the subject that is of import here, but rather the process and quality.....or in Mr Fergusons case, the things he might be able to pilfer for his own nefarious ends. ;D

We look to be inspired, awed, amused and educated.....whatever freakishly odd subject provides that is of no consequence. ;D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc and Dallas are correct.

The purpose of this forum is to teach modeling techniques and it doesn't matter what kind of model you build. As I keep trying to explain to narrow minded nincompoops, you find the same kind of chipped paint on a gas mechanical loco as on a bulldozer. So if a guy explains how he weathered a bulldozer, it directly applies to a choo-choo.

They'll never comprehend that ... but we, on this forum, do. So nobody be hesitant to show us any kind of model.

Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Nefarious :-  Latin in origin, relating to crime or transgression. In addition, it means evil or despicable or being very wicked in an underhand or infamous manner. Synonymous that can be used for nefarious include vicious, foul, vile, shameful and heinous.

You can't beat a nice drop of praise  ;D

Oh, and the "Mr" was a nice touch
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Now more important stuff ................Bexley  I was another who obviously had no comprehension as to the real size of this piece ................ great work and as for scribing bricks in 1/48 you are mad ,   ............. but successful
Gordon

Bexley

Well, it's not the subject matter that's the issue. Gaming stuff just doesn't get a lot of effort put into it. "Fragile" techniques like hairspray chipping and pigments don't stand up to the rigors of frequent handling, so they don't get used. And when you're painting up 30+ figures in a go, you don't put much into each one.  But I'll be entering a few national-level contests this summer, since my employer is making me work the booth at a number of them. That should give me more "high end modeling and painting" pieces to post. (Though, I will likely be linking to a few work projects in the coming weeks, as Dust Warfare releases very soon. Also, I'm working on a pretty cool project for X-Wing, so once that marketing blitz begins, I'll have some really neat stuff to post.)

Anyway. My point was not that I was afraid to post unusual subjects, but that my hobby time has been put into projects which by nature are of a lesser quality.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I succeeded, and have made it to round three. A particularly sweet victory, as my opponent was the one who knocked me out of the last Iron Painter. (I even got the highest score of the round, 75.5 out of 80.)

And, it occurs that maybe it would be of interest to post the work of my opponents as I go. This (for reference, same scale as my piece) is what I was up against:

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

The next theme  and pairings have been announced. The theme is "Only Three Colors." This will be a very interesting round. I think I have a bit of an edge. My all-time highest scoring Iron Painter entry was when the theme was Psycho, and I did my entry only using black and white, in homage to the film. A third color does add some complexity, however. I could go with a sepia-type thing, using black plus white plus a third color, or try doing a full color piece using only magenta, cyan, and yellow.

Hmm.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Bexley

I think I have my idea sussed out, though it (unfortunately) took the whole week to come up with it. I'd already planned on using a three color palette (essentially ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, and an off-white that leans a bit towards yellow) but I still needed something to paint, preferably that also reflects the theme. I could just use the theme literally and paint any subject using three colors, but I know from past experience that the more twists on the theme you incorporate, the better.

Finally, the idea of somebody eating a bomb pop (those three-color popsicles) popped into my head. As I was looking at figure kits to find a pose I could convert, the further idea hit me of a zombie sneaking up on the guy, the joke being they're both about to enjoy a tasty treat. I might even put them near a wall of some sort, with a bomb pop advertisement on it, with something like "Enjoy one today!" on it, which would then be the title of the piece.

Hopefully, I'll have some progress pictures tomorrow evening.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

finescalerr

Very sick. I like "black" humor. Be sure to post the photos. -- Russ

Bexley

Done and submitted. Was lazy about progress photos, but I had a lot going on this last week (buying a
house) and had to rush this one. I pretty much started Saturday afternoon withe the figure conversions,
but didn't get around to painting until this afternoon. (I also had to skip the poster due to time.) Deadline
is in twenty minutes, and my opponent has not yet posted.

The only colors I used were the three in the third photo.

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack