• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Pair of Remoras

Started by FichtenFoo, December 11, 2011, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

FINALLY back to the bench! In anticipation of getting, boxing, shipping, and painting the upcoming Remora kits from Industria Mechanika, Ian McQue and FichtenFoo (me!), I started on the cargo for the two I'm building for Ian and I. Check the link for lots of technique info and pics. Can't wait to get my hands on the kits now... gonna be 2 piles of heaping rusty goodness.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/remora/

Chicks dig giant robots.

finescalerr

These photos show so much more than the 3D photos. Nice work. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I so look forward to seeing this build. Really like the pallets, the spool, and the grating.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

pwranta193

Great to see you have cleared the hurdles on this one... and I love that we are going to see two examples out of the gate - nice touch, man!

Now stop reading the forums and get back to the bench  ;D
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

FichtenFoo

Thanks guys! Everything's coming along at my typical quick modeling pace. Ian wants a plain black base, but I'm making something more rust-ic. I found this on the Industrial Decay Network Flickr group and immediately wanted to recreate portions of it. So I'm doing a section of steel bridge, a tower of sorts, and some water underneath.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christiangates/6481821403/in/pool-69148305@N00/
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

I am really looking forward to seeing how you do these kits as I will want to steal ideas from you . However , I can't work out how three sand channels can be of use to a flying ship ! Or am I being thick ? ( (Anyone else with a smart-arsed comment to my last question please feel free to write it down on a postcard and mail it in).

Nick

FichtenFoo

Quote from: shropshire lad on December 13, 2011, 10:07:26 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing how you do these kits as I will want to steal ideas from you . However , I can't work out how three sand channels can be of use to a flying ship ! Or am I being thick ? ( (Anyone else with a smart-arsed comment to my last question please feel free to write it down on a postcard and mail it in).

Nick

I just like them for the extra detail, but in the metal I depict them as they could be gang-planks, temp barriers, traction on deck, in port, etc... Whatever one can cobble together is the theme in Ian's series anyway. As for me... I just needed more detailish crap to greeblie up the deck.  :D
Chicks dig giant robots.

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Nick

Obviously you are too young or were too isolated in the English hinterland, to recall the Yes album cover with the floating-in-air islands/pieces of land. The sand rails are needed in case the Remora gets beached on one of those....or they can use it as a gang-plank to one of those, when they go look for the thong clad rebel vixens.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

Quote from: artizen on December 13, 2011, 01:38:04 PM
This guy does rustic and derelict as well -

http://www.pbase.com/jakobe/decay

How funny... I had that bookmarked apparently and must have forgotten about it. I went to bookmark it... again I guess and saw I already had it. Thanks for the reminder... great stuff in there!
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 13, 2011, 03:04:38 PM

Nick

Obviously you are too young or were too isolated in the English hinterland, to recall the Yes album cover with the floating-in-air islands/pieces of land. The sand rails are needed in case the Remora gets beached on one of those....or they can use it as a gang-plank to one of those, when they go look for the thong clad rebel vixens.

Yes were the first group that I took any interest in back in 1973/4 ( before you were born?) , so I am very familiar with their album covers by Roger Dean . And you are right they could be of use in such situations and  would be a great idea for a diorama  . I think I'll dig out my old albums and see how it could be done .

shropshire lad

Quote from: FichtenFoo on December 13, 2011, 03:38:55 PM
Quote from: artizen on December 13, 2011, 01:38:04 PM
This guy does rustic and derelict as well -

http://www.pbase.com/jakobe/decay

How funny... I had that bookmarked apparently and must have forgotten about it. I went to bookmark it... again I guess and saw I already had it. Thanks for the reminder... great stuff in there!

The old VW pickup covered in moss , halfway down , was the inspiration for one of Per Olav Lund's masterpieces .

Wesleybeks

I really like those paletts. 
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

mad gerald

Quote from: shropshire lad on December 14, 2011, 12:19:03 AM
 Yes were the first group that I took any interest in back in 1973/4 ( before you were born?) , so I am very familiar with their album covers by Roger Dean . And you are right they could be of use in such situations and  would be a great idea for a diorama  . I think I'll dig out my old albums and see how it could be done .

... wasn't YES the band with Rick Wakeman on Keyboards, who left the band 5 (or 6?) times for re-entering again every time a few months/years later  ... ? Was more listening i. e. to Grand Funk Railroad then ...  ;)

shropshire lad

Quote from: mad gerald on December 14, 2011, 09:18:20 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on December 14, 2011, 12:19:03 AM
 Yes were the first group that I took any interest in back in 1973/4 ( before you were born?) , so I am very familiar with their album covers by Roger Dean . And you are right they could be of use in such situations and  would be a great idea for a diorama  . I think I'll dig out my old albums and see how it could be done .

... wasn't YES the band with Rick Wakeman on Keyboards, who left the band 5 (or 6?) times for re-entering again every time a few months/years later  ... ? Was more listing i. e. to Grand Funk Railroad then ...  ;)

Yes it was. I worked at his house in 1984 and drove my old boss to one of his weddings . Haven't a clue how many times he has been married .

Nick