• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

You have challenged me to try to replicate rough sawn timber.  I will probably try it with Crepe Myrtle as it is straight in the sizes I need.
     You need to throw the first attempt away (you can send the wood to me) and start over.  With all of the work you are doing I would expect that the braces would be made with mortise and tenon joints not butt joints.  Just teasing!!!
     Save the slab wood you cut off and use it to create a shed by a back woods shack. 

finescalerr

I like this project. -- Russ

Barney

very nice - and well thought out
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

WP Rayner

Very nice framing... it's a pleasure to see some proper half-lap joints. The remaining bark here and there is a nice touch, very effective.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

fspg2

Thanks for your approval

@ Lawton
QuoteSave the slab wood you cut off and use it to create a shed by a back woods shack. 
Yes that is a good idea!

A few adjustments were made.

So I sawed continuous frames from hazelnut wood. If necessary, these will get scratched overlays.

The individual wooden parts for the back and front wall were glued with a little wood glue in the teaching. Then 0.8mm holes for the "wooden nails" were drilled in the same setting.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_77 (fspg2)

A casual rehearsal gives an idea of the shed.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_78 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_79 (fspg2)

The rafters were rounded at the front. For this purpose, the individual slats were placed in a small gauge and processed with a 1.0mm milling cutter.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_80 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

Bernhard

I agree with Paul, the connection of the beams is perfect. Likewise the wooden nails.

Bernhard

Lawton Maner

Interesting work.  Take a look at a site which discusses timber framing.  The wooden pegs pin the joints together so that no metal is needed in assembly. 

Recently on the BBC's news site there were a pair of pictures of a shipwreck discovered off the east coast of England where the hull was held together with wood pegs.  Estimated to be over 200 years old and still being held together.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Fantastic - looks great
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

fspg2

Corrugated iron is provided for the roof.

Marcel had made these parts himself out of mustard tin sheet about three years ago: klick

I have planned 0.1mm thick Copper sheet from the roll.

This was cut into 72.0mm x 50.0mm pieces and burned out with the flame.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_86 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_87 (fspg2)

Some time ago there was still that Fiskars crimper, which seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment!

These waves generated are 2.5mm in size - but for the replica of an 80mm prototype wave it should be 3.55mm here.

So I milled grooves 1.5mm deep in two HPL panels with a 3.5mm ball end mill. The distance to each other is 5.6mm.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_91 (fspg2)

I glued 3.4mm thick wooden sticks into these grooves with superglue.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_82 (fspg2)

The copper sheet will be pressed with the help of these two stamping plates.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_81 (fspg2)

After the first wave has been pressed, only the next one comes in turn. So the sheet metal still has enough reserve to expand. Pressing all the shafts at the same time does not produce a convincing result.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_88 (fspg2)

The raised edge is used to align the copper plate at right angles when pressing the first shaft.

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_85 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_83 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_89 (fspg2)

Dreh-Schiebebuehne_90 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Some guys locally here 3d printed their own crimping rollers for corrugated iron.

Probably not a tool that's going to last too long, but certainly good enough for 1 or 2 projects and easy to make/remake.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

finescalerr

Your corrugated panels turned out perfectly.

I wonder how long a 3-d printed press or roller would work for corrugating cardstock.

Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: finescalerr on March 14, 2021, 03:42:25 PM
Your corrugated panels turned out perfectly.

I wonder how long a 3-d printed press or roller would work for corrugating cardstock.

Russ

Really well I imagine.  Despite doing a lot of 3d printed models, I feel one of the best uses for the technology is jigs, fixtures and tooling.  Such things are quick to do.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com