• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Feldbahnmodule with ship

Started by fspg2, April 21, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

@Russ, @ Helmut,
thanks for your explanations!

Last weekend, the plexiglass cylinder for the well of the lifting bridge was rebuilt, as there was a mistake in the arrangement of the guide rollers.
In the following picture, two guide wheels were drawn on the right and left at the top of the lift cylinder.

Schwimmer_07 (fspg2)

At that time I had seen a total of four rolls on another schematic sketch. After that, I built my first shaft.

Schwimmer_43 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_44 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_46 (fspg2)

As far as the old condition!

When I had the first well ready for installation, I got exact drawings of the lifting bridge .
We can see, the four guide rollers were each offset by 45° from the version I built.

Hubbruecke_Portal_Detail-1 (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg

So changes were made in the 3D drawing and a new Plexiglas tube with 120mm outer diameter purchased ....

Now the new condition:

.... after looking at this tube again and again for several years, I have made it anew.

Schwimmer_52 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_54 (fspg2)

The four guide rollers are not drawn yet.

Schwimmer_56 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_58 (fspg2)

To make the four slots for the roller guides, I have made a small simplification.
At that time, I had laboriously turned the tube 90° each time, taking a close look at the cutter on positioned auxiliary lines ,
so I have positioned the tube in two 10mm thick MDF boards now. These had got a tight-fitting 120mm neckline.

Schwimmer_59 (fspg2)

After each milling pass, the entire unit was rotated 90° and placed in the two grooves of the base plate. A wooden staff and two small clamps held everything in position.

Schwimmer_60 (fspg2)

The plexiglass tube was installed in the system only as a trial. Now missing are the bricks, the guide profiles, as well as the surrounded MDF boards.

Schwimmer_61 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

Excellent design and fabrication. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

fspg2

In the meantime, the MDF panels for the shaft have been re-milled and assembled.

Schwimmer_70 (fspg2)

Now the new Plexiglas® cylinder also needs a new brickwork in the visible area!

Schwimmer_62 (fspg2)

The old CAD drawings have been adjusted accordingly. There are a few more stones in the round and a few rows have also been added below.

It was glued again 1.0mm waterproof glued plywood on a MDF board with Gudy 870 and the router could work while I had time for other things.

Two small video clips you can see here and here.

Schwimmer_67 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_68 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_69 (fspg2)

For my first shaft I had exposed the plywood in the dishwasher the hot steam.
Posting from November 03.2012
Afterthen the plywood was dried quite laboriously,

...now it was much faster.

Schwimmer_71 (fspg2)

In a large metal sieve, the plywood panel had to bend out of the saucepan for a few minutes in the steam.

Schwimmer_72 (fspg2)

Still damp, the plate was fixed with Tesakrepp inside the Plexiglas® cylinder for drying,
to be finally fixed with a Plexiglas®  adhesive later.

I glued the thin plywood wall plate into the Plexiglas® cylinder and let it dry overnight.
From the outside, the slots for the roller guides were cut with a cutter.

Schwimmer_76 (fspg2)

So that the plywood did not break from the inside, I had inserted a rolled thin metal sheet on the inner surface. It snuggled close to the wood and gave the knife a good counter pressure.
Then the upper edges were cut with an 0.5 mm thin saw blade.
Schwimmer_75 (fspg2)

Also the lifter went on. The manhole was fastened with 12 M0.8mm screws. Two rivet straps were milled and riveted out of 0.4mm nickel silver. In the following photo the second band has to be soldered on.

Schwimmer_74 (fspg2)

The lifter has now 1.0mm side height too much, this will disappear in the ground later!

Here is the first lifter burnished appeared to the photo date.

Heber_16 (fspg2)

When the old Lauenburg lifting bridge was demolished in the early 1950s and replaced by a new building, the old iron parts landed on the scrap probably.

As luck would have it, I got from a French model railroader an indication that at least a side of the winch on a local junkyard may have appeared.
Pretty desolate and partially broken, I was able to inspect some of the remains yesterday.

Winde_25 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Bill Gill

More excellent work. I like your method for steaming the plywood to curve it (you could steam your lunch at the same time and enjoy a meal while the plywood cools to its new shape :) ).

Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is great to see.

finescalerr

To a "normal" person like me such design, engineering, craftsmanship, and ingenuity is just amazing. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful, especially that burnished piece.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thank you for your approval!

On the east side of the lifting bridge were three smaller bridges, which lay in an arch.

Hubbruecke_Anschlussbruecken_ (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg/Elbe

So far there was no direct connection from my ramp modules to the lifting bridge module.
For adjustment I had to shorten a module by 29,0cm - built in 2007.

Modul-Montage_46 (fspg2)

The exact alignment was helped by a long aluminum profile and a few angle irons.

Modul-Montage_42 (fspg2)

Modul-Montage_43 (fspg2)

Modul-Montage_44 (fspg2)

Modul-Montage_45 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

I love what you are doing. Very creative and unique. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on February 13, 2019, 12:50:58 AM
Thank you for your approval!

It is hard to express how much I enjoy this thread!

This is industrial archeology at its best. 
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

Thanks Russ, thanks Hauk!

The work on the wall parts come to an end slowly, only a few finishing metal edges still need to be adjusted.

Modul-Montage_47 (fspg2)

The diving bell served as a counterweight to move the floodgate.

Tauchglocke_2 (fspg2)

To allow for smooth movement on the model, I will install small linear guides with a slide.

Tauchglocke_32 (fspg2)

Let me see if the Faulhaber 2020 will be enough as a propulsion engine:?:

Tauchglocke_33 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Ray Dunakin

Nice. Those linear guides are interesting -- I might find have some uses for those.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Frithjof.
very cool love seeing it come together.
cheers

nalmeida

Nice progress, I use that kind of rails in my projects, they are a precise but a bit heavy when pulling. You'll need a bit of lubrication, I'm not sure if the motor will have enough torque but I'm curious to see the outcome.

fspg2

@ Ray
Those linear guides are a little help to get a precise movement. I ordered very small one – the rails are 7.0mm wide only.

@ nalmeida
With these carriages you can get very different qualities. There are seemingly the same parts for very different prices (from 12.00 € to about 30.00 € each one). Lets see what I will get.
I certainly have some fat left from my milling machine.
Even with the engine, I let myself be surprised.

@Kim
Yes - everything grows together, but slowly.
So yesterday evening a few parts were put and glued together.

Already I had built and burnished the counterweights on 2010.02.05 - on top of this page. Sorry - this Link is only German!

Gegengewicht_Schleusentor_2 (fspg2)

Since then, they were waiting for installation in the guide rails.

Gegengewicht_Schleusentor_1 (fspg2)

Gegengewicht_Schleusentor_5 (fspg2)

Gegengewicht_Schleusentor_7 (fspg2)

Frithjof

fspg2

If the lifting bridge will be a major challenge in terms of stamina, I have not really looked at the two gates of the lock so far.

About 9000 - 10000 rivets will be pressed into each miter gate. Let's see when I'll be finished with it.

Stemmtor_3a (fspg2)

Stemmtor_4 (fspg2)

Stemmtor_5 (fspg2)

Here I am in the process of putting together the various levels in a 3D sketch in order to generate the individual files for the milling work. I will use 0.3mm and 0.4mm nickel silver sheets because they can emboss the rivet heads very well.

Stemmtor_6 (fspg2)

On the lid of the lifting cylinder, I had originally milled out four pockets for the pedestals, in which (the falsely assumed) pedestal + guide rollers should be positioned.

Schwimmer_28 (fspg2)

When I got the exact drawings, it looked a bit different! The positions shifted by 45°.

Hubbruecke_Portal_Detail-1 (fspg2)

Copyright: WSA-Lauenburg

A first resort would have been a new replacement lid for the lift cylinder ...

... but then came a second way to my mind: not a new lid, but instead of the four pedestals a few new parts to fill up the wholes and connect the the four holders of the guide rollers. It had to be used in this solution, only the lifting cylinder rotated by 45°.

Schwimmer_79 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_Laufrolle_01 (fspg2)

Schwimmer_Laufrolle_02 (fspg2)

The rollers - with 8,0mm diameter - were milled from 2,0mm brass, whereby first the back got four 2,0mm holes drilled. Afterwards an 0,5mm deep material recess and finally the outer contour of the small sheet metal was milled.

Schwimmer_Laufrolle_03 (fspg2)

Then the sheet was turned over and glued with Gudy 870 film in the same position on the MDF board. Four 2.0mm rivets helped to got the exact positioning.

Schwimmer_Laufrolle_04 (fspg2)

Milling was done with a short 1.0mm cutter. Even if I only need four wheels in the end, I have milled two more .... you never know where they sometimes go missing. Then it's now faster than doing the same again!

Schwimmer_Laufrolle_05 (fspg2)

The 4.0mm ball bearings make the rollers rotate easily. For the roll holders, parts made of 2.0mm sheet brass were milled out also.

Schwimmer_Laufrolle_06 (fspg2)

Frithjof