• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

D. Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by Junior, November 29, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKLN

I found another nice link with great vintage signs and paint cans:

http://www.cruisin66.com/bodyshop.html

Junior

Quote from: DaKra on January 07, 2011, 07:12:24 AM
The lean-to connector is a simple solution, but the pitch of the roof should slope towards the ground so rain and snow keeps moving away from the wall.    I think copying the prototype arrangement here might be worth the extra work because it adds to the composition.

Dave

Alright, have been thinking about that. Here is the prototype picture Chuck sent me.

Anders ???

Junior

Quote from: BKLN on January 07, 2011, 07:23:02 AM
I found another nice link with great vintage signs and paint cans:

http://www.cruisin66.com/bodyshop.html

Great link Christian - thanks very much!

Anders ;D

lab-dad

Junior,
Most shops air lines just run around the shop wherever needed.
Shop Air lines are 1" black pipe (i.d.)
Would be another thing along the wall to add interest/detail
Quick disconnects placed at the needs at various places.
The disconnects are brass so use some small brass tube about 1 1/2" long.
Several coiled up air hoses are another item as well, solder works nicely for hose.
-Marty

BKLN

Marty,
are the airhoses / pipes are fixed, would the compressor by fixed, too? Inside or outside?

Christian

Junior

Quote from: lab-dad on January 07, 2011, 08:04:31 AM
Junior,
Most shops air lines just run around the shop wherever needed.
Shop Air lines are 1" black pipe (i.d.)
Would be another thing along the wall to add interest/detail
Quick disconnects placed at the needs at various places.
The disconnects are brass so use some small brass tube about 1 1/2" long.
Several coiled up air hoses are another item as well, solder works nicely for hose.
-Marty
Thanks Marty your´e a genius. Ha.. more and more work but I´m sure it will look good, might order a couple of shut-off valves from PSCO. Will check the Internet for prototype pics.

Anders ;D

Mobilgas

Christian,     I believe a air compressor would be Fixed.....bolted down.....on the inside of a shop or garage ;) It was a important piece of equipment and money maker for the owner.  Heres a pic of a old compressor i had in my files.
Craig

BKLN

OK, I see. Would that thing be running all day or only if you need pressure. Wouldn't it need a vent to the outside?
How is the pressured air handled in todays garages?

granitechops

In any garage I have worked in or been in, the motor was controlled by a pressure switch, when pressure fell, motor switch on, recharged tank & at a preset presure would switch off again.
Thanks for all the ideas on these garage threads, there is so much stuff in old garages I have forgot the half of it, seeing its 40 years since I worked in one  ::) ;D
Edit;- after thought
most static compressors had electric motors so no vent needed, But if you had a mobile or trailer compressor they usually had  IC engines  ok in the ouside air, but they would benefit from venting if a permanent fixture inside
Don in sunny Devon, England

BKLN

I totally forgot about electric compressors. Over the weekend while passing a tire shop I suddely realized that it was kind of a silly question. But thanks anyway!

Christian

Junior

Progress on Krakow´s Auto Co. Reference photo used for inspiration on both buildings.

Junior

Small building built up with individual boards 1" x 6"  for both clapboard and the other various boards. Sheet metal around the false front and sides, thanks to Darryl and Per Olav for the food container tip. Various stains on boards and finally white and green acrylics over mineral spirits.
Windows and doors thin Ranger paints not really visible here.

finescalerr

Junior

Side view

Junior

Side view