• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

D. Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by Junior, November 29, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Looks great Anders... most impressive in HO scale. Parts are spot on and thanks for posting the teaser image of the machine shop... looking forward to seeing more.

Paul

Junior

Thanks very much for your kind comments! If I hadn´t invested many, many years in HOn3 I wouldn´t be in this scale. All my work is for a logging layout set in the Pacific Northwest in the 1930´s. The ultimate scale for me would probably be 1/35 - might take a little detour and try something in that scale just for fun.

Anders ;D

BKLN

That last shot of the Blacksmith shop is absolutely inspiring. I raced home after work last night to get back to my 1/87 shop furniture. I have started to assemble different shop items, not sure where this is going, because I have random stuff that can be found in wood shops, metal shops or auto shops.
The images show a mix of commercial castings or kits, some scratch built stuff and a lot custom pieces from VectorCut.

Here is a quick description of the individual piece.
- 2 green benches are scratch built, VectorCut drill press
- green desk and chair by VectorCut
- brown shelf for parts is scratch built
- green file cabinet by VectorCut
- blue work bench and lockers by TL-Models of Germany
- tool board scratch with Preiser tools
- unpainted car engine, scratch built
- unfinished tool box from Preiser
- unfinished table saw, scratchbuilt
- blue drill press from Preiser

BKLN

The next image shows a few more (mostly commercial) parts:
- unpainted lathe from Preiser
- lockers  and scrap piece box from TL-Models
- all car jacks and compressor from Preiser
- some scratchbuilt, unpainted corner junk
- two palettes with tarps from TL-Models

My stuff is obviously modern era stuff, but most things are timeless or could be back-dated.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

DaKra

Beautiful work, guys!  For me, its a thrill to see my products used, especially by model builders of your caliber.   

Anders, hope you can explain a little about how you made some of these pieces, the weathering on the signs is really nice, and the chisels and screw drivers must be hand made?

BKLN, where are the paper Dunkin Doughnuts coffee cups with cold coffee in the bottom, and the stained rims?   I have a modern light up soda vending machine in the works.   You need this stuff, if you're gonna make a convincing modern NYC garage!  :)

Dave 

BKLN

Well, here is another little experiment. Another very common piece of junk in the urban landscape are old tires. After looking thru the whole market, I could never find any good old tires. Most tires from 1/87 modern cars were too wide. Most resin or white metal castings are out of proportion or have a profile that might work for some off-roading, but don't represent a regular car tire. One thing that bothered me with both was that none of them are hollow.

With a core of 5mm styrene tube and some walls and thread cut by VectorCut and a lot of patience I built a couple of tires and tire stacks. They are not fully painted, and some of them look a little sloppy. But I am happy with the outcome so far.

Edit: the tire on the bottom left is a solid rubber tire from a Busch model car. You can clearly see the donut shape vs the hollow scratchbuilt / lasercut tires. Car jacks are from Preiser.

BKLN

I apologize for the crappy images. I was just so excited about Anders' work last night and wanted to contribute a little. Once the weather is a little more forgiving I will make it onto the roof to take some daylight pictures.

Junior

BKLN,  (do you have a name) ???

Some really neat furniture and details. A more modern garage would be a really nice companion here. Those coffee cups do they exist?   I haven´t seen these Vectorcut furniture before but I understand they were custom made for you. Excellent!

Dave,

Tools you don´t recognize as yours are made by Scale Structures Ltd. and have been around for some 40 years. The signs I just gave a real quick job as I thought it would be a nice touch in those pics. Just a slight sanding with a fine grit paper - 260 in this case - then some washes with various browns, and black thinner based paints (Humbrol) and finally some pastel powder. That´s it. ::)

Anders ;D

BKLN

Sorry, Anders. My name is Christian. I added it as a signature now.

I didn't mean to clutter up (literally) your thread, but you work is very inspiring. Do you have any more images of your work?

Malachi Constant

Wow!  You guys are both making great progress ... I'm jealous ... but mostly inspired.  Stopped by a local hobby shop yesterday and picked up a couple military vehicle kits to "dissect" for parts in my own garage.  Thanks for the great photos, ideas and inspiration!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Frederic Testard

Anders and Christian, you've set up a most inspiring thread. And Dave's parts, once again, are the stars of the game!
Frederic Testard

Junior

Quote from: BKLN on December 10, 2010, 08:45:43 AM
Sorry, Anders. My name is Christian. I added it as a signature now.

I didn't mean to clutter up (literally) your thread, but you work is very inspiring. Do you have any more images of your work?

Christian,

Don´t worry your´e not cluttering up on the contrary it´s inspiring to see your excellent parts - just hang in there! It would be great to see a more contemporary garage coming up on this forum and if that´s what your´e planning maybe another thread would be a good idea in the long run as such a project would require many pages. Your choice.
Right now I´m drowning in new parts so no more pictures at the moment. Just scrapped a couple of Jordan veichles for doors, axles, mufflers, wheels etc. and will do quite a bit of paint chipping on doors and hoods with the hairspray technique or something similar. Have to finish a number of gas pumps as D. Krakow will be dealing in used pumps as well. Why did I decide on that ??? Just more work! :-[ Got some teriffic ones from a Swedish cottage industy.

Anders ;D

Junior

Quote from: Malachi Constant on December 10, 2010, 10:07:45 AM
Wow!  You guys are both making great progress ... I'm jealous ... but mostly inspired.  Stopped by a local hobby shop yesterday and picked up a couple military vehicle kits to "dissect" for parts in my own garage.  Thanks for the great photos, ideas and inspiration!

Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas.....Thank you - will jump right in on that Testors Liquid Cement technique you just described over at the RRL forum. Had totally forgot about that one. Too much to keep track of!

Anders ;D

Junior

Just a few of all the detail parts that are now finished. Some shelves and benches not shown still has to be filled up with many tiny parts. Building is coming up next.

Anders ;D