• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Queensland Miners Cottage 1:24

Started by JohnTolcher, May 07, 2015, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnTolcher

Thanks for the feedback, cheers!

I had a few ideas about using sprue to make gum branches, which I decided to play with. One thing lead to another,  now I have a (fairly thin sick looking) tree. Which I guess is in keeping with the theme of an abandoned and somewhat spooky house and yard.

The leaves were cut from 0.13mm Styrene sheet (.005"), and glued to stretched sprue.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

The stems were bent and glued to branches.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Here's a small branch. Repeat another 20 or 30 times.... :-\ :-\
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

The branches were made from sprue, heated, bent and or stretched.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Put it together.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

I've started painting the gum tree, here it is with one of the walls and leaf litter as props for the photo. I can't really go much further with it until the rest of the scene is more advanced.

Cheers
John
Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

not a bad looking ghost gum at all. Are you going to add some eucalyptus oil for some scale smell?
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

JohnTolcher

Thanks guys. NK that would be nice, so far it just smells of lacquer paint!  :D

Here's another shot of the gum with the rusty Ford I intend to park underneath. With fallen branches and leaves made using the same techniques outlined before.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Here is progress so far on the side wall of the cottage. The peeling paint has been done using the hairspray technique, which entails spraying hairspray from the can followed by Tamiya flat white. When dry the paint is wetted and can be removed in chips and peels, using a paint brush, toothpick or various other tools.

You can clearly see how inspired I am by Chuck's amazing work, though I used a different technique. And there aren't actually loose flakes, something I can live with at this scale.

Cheers
John
Cheers
John in Australia

lab-dad

Good looking paint. Er ah...well you know what I mean.
The car adds a nice contrast too.
No you need some cobwebs   ;)
Marty

finescalerr

That is shaping up into a very adequate diorama. The car doesn't hurt it. -- Russ

Bill Gill

John, That's a neat car, by gum!

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World