• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Queensland Miners Cottage 1:24

Started by JohnTolcher, May 07, 2015, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Lovely stuff - loads of atmosphere
Barney

danpickard

The results continue to provide entertainment and inspiration John.  I saw some one of your posts of FB the other day where some roofing iron was starting to come into the scene...looking forward to seeing and hearing a bit more about your processes regarding this step when you get around to it here on the forum.

Cheers,
Dan

JohnTolcher

Many thanks for your comments. I have started painting the roofing, you can see the progress below. I haven't organised a decent SBS yet because they're not finished, I'd like the steps to be together. The roofing is not attached yet either, as they appear. Thanks for following!
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Another image.
Cheers
John in Australia

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Nice!

I really like the arched roof over the porch.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Do you have wasps nests on the bottom of the world? Around here a building that looked like yours would be held together by them.

JohnTolcher

Thanks for your comments, yes a few wasps rounds these parts. But termites would be devouring this if they could, they're a real menace here.

Here is a SBS for the painting of the roofing.

First I cleaned the aluminium with soap, warm water and a paint brush. When dry I primed with Mr Surfacer Primer in a rattle can. The primer was built up gradually in thin coats, and with the final coats I sprayed from a distance of 60cm (2 feet) or more in short bursts. The purpose was to create texture, as large droplets of almost dry paint fell on the surface. So the paint droplets are not inclined to level out.

This was followed with Tamiya Hull Red sprayed from my airbrush, then a wash or two of Vallejo acrylic orange. This was sealed up with a spray coat of Testors Dullcote.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Next step: All colours used in the next steps were mixed from Tamiya paints by eye. They are thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner and airbrushed. A dirty orange.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Light grey.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Medium grey, just a thin layer.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Then some of the paint was worn away using a brush damp with Windex mixed with water, about 50/50 by ratio. Windex is a glass and household cleaner available here in Australia and the US, but hard to get in Europe I believe.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

The last effect uses hairspray and windex to make a speckled patina. I start by sealing the work with a Dullcote spray. A quick, light spray of hairspray is next, just a quick pass to leave a thin layer. Tamiya paint is then sprayed on, a thin coat of light orange or buff that is translucent. Finally I hit the work with a spray of diluted Windex from a pump action spray bottle. The windex is diluted 1 part windex to 9 parts water. Almost immediately, the windex will start to disolve the hairspray so within a second or two I douse the work in running water to stop the action. What you should get is a mottled effect that is permanent once dry.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Stumps with made, here the base is ready for some ground work.
Cheers
John in Australia

JohnTolcher

Thanks to Chuck for his tip, about using Jute Thread for grass. Here is my progress so far.
Cheers
John in Australia