• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Beautiful work Jacq, thank you for sharing. And Chuck, thanks for that link.

finescalerr

That is an exquisite example of machinery modeling, Jacq. Thank you for posting. -- Russ

John McGuyer

Jacq,

When I first looked at it, I thought that was the machine you were going to model. Then I looked at the next picture and realized that was the model. Incredible!

John

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Great to see you back on the project.

Beautiful work on the machinery. I think it will look perfect once finished weathered and in it's final setting.

Looking forward to future posts.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

For the live rolls some 30+ are needed according to the very very usefull drawing of the sawing floor of the
  Hume Bennet mill.  I am gratefull to the good sender.
  I purchased the Sierra West cHB set, but the rolls are too short and do not have the correct diameter.
  It than crossed my mind I could use the bearings and gears, cut the rolls in 2 and insert them in 3/16th OD
  brass tube to make correct 4'0" long rolls with a 9" diameter.  I made 5 samples and made a small casting box to enable me to make white metal or resin rolls. A second casting box enables me to make the matching parts.
The other 2 rolls will be modified to make the guide rolls of a resaw.

Parts from Sierra West together with newly made rolls

Test set up with 5 x 4'0" x 9" dia  rolls

Rolls embedded in kids  :D playing clay ( playdoh) in casting box

Bottom is removable to enable removal of clay and cast 2nd mold part.

Exiting times  ??? ???   I have to wait approx 4-6 hours before I can take it out of the box.

I'll will show the results of the first mold halve tomorrow. I hope it turns out ok.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

You are CRAZY! :o ;)

Eagerly awaiting the results.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

A setback.  :-[ :-[        After cleaning the mold carefully it all looked very good.

Than I applied per instructions the seperator spray and prepared the pooring of the second mold halve.
    I especially came out of bed early to do this, so I would be able to see the results this evening.

Taking all out of the box, there was no division between the two mold halves. :'( :'( :'(
   Praying with a small knife didn't help and when they came appart, the seperation was NOT where I planned it.
   More .... :'( :'( :'(
   Being an optimist, I will start again after getting advice from my supplier or/and suggestions / hints / tips  from
   the forum here  :D :D

In the mean time I started on the sawing floor structure  (134' 0" x 48' 0" )

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

In the weekend I a new effort was made to make the moulds and yes...... ;D  it came out very good. 8)

It looks crude, but I will be able to get the required amount of castings in white metal with little rework.
  As soon as I can find an old pan and a camping cooker I'll start casting. Material will be plumbers solder as the
  parts are only for static display. The mould can stand up to 450° C for a short period.
  To get the air out, a small shaker table ( originally for paint mixing) will be used.
  As an alternative I'll try 2K PU glue when metal casting is done.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

The sawing floor beams in place.  The complete floor will be a sub-ass'y, so I can built, detail and finish it with all machinery, sawdust and use / abuse traces on my workbench. It will also enable me to built easy accesible the lower area of the mill with the steam engines, belt systems, sawdust conveyors and scenery underneath. The loghaul and top-ass'y will also be built as separate elements. This way maintenance and accessibility for photography is possible.  Joist spacing is 2'0" centres  Building size 128'0" x 48'0" with green chain platform to suit the module edges. (module plan to be added shortly.)

The saw under construction will be converted to a resaw with scratch built guiding mechanism
based on photo's.
Building details will be based on Hume-Bennet and Pino Grande photo's.
I have started with planking. In the back I will use the 2" red cedar planks, in the front the
ordered MtAlbert basswood will be used. The cedar visible grain is too coarse but will hardly be
visible when all the machinery, wear and tear and all the sorts of dust are in place.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

This is starting out as a excellent build.  The layout is perfect spacing etc.  Thanks for the update and the outstanding photo's.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

With the beams all in place, I started with the planking. All planks will be individual scale 12'0" long or cut to suite.
  The planks till now have been cut on a very simple jig with a hobbyknife and squared on my sanding disk.
  To be able to lay the planks square to the beams, one 24" long "plank" was alligned and glued at the position of the inner rail carrier of the carriage.

All transverse beams are glued to 2 longitudinals, that will fit behind the long'l beams on top of the posts from groundfloor level. These 2 longitudinals are glued at 4 points to a drawing with grid and positions of important machinery.

To have a look what effect is possible with colors on the red cedar, a single wash of  shoepolish with alcohol mix (recommended by CCCrow as alternative to silverwood stain) was applied and sanded with 600 sandpaper.

( Any suggestion as how to get some 8oz bottles Silverwood to Holland ?)

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Belg

Jacq, your project is really starting to take shape I wonder though don't you think for structural strength the floor boards would be staggered  and not all break on the same floor joist? You could say on one seam that is where they added an addition and did not bother to stagger but I think otherwise it would be structurally incorrect. Pat

marklayton

Pat's observation about random length flooring has merit.  I've been in several 19th-century wooden-floored industrial buildings, and all had random-length floor boards.  Doing so makes for a more rigid overall structure.  On the other hand, sawmills tended to be less permanent, moving as the woods were clear-cut in the local area.  Under those circumstances, the builders might have worked to less stringent structural methods.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

jacq01

Pat, Mark,

as engineer  I was expecting remarks about the board positions.
  In structures where a floor or hull ( boat) add a large amount to the longitudinal strength, I fully agree with you.
  Here the supporting structure comes from he post foundations, the longitudinal members laying on top of them and the transverses laying across over the longitudinals.

In this case, staggered floorboards in the are's shown do not add much to the strength of the structure. The very large openings for the bandsaws, Hill- and Simonson type logturners (to be added) and  loghaul drive demand a different supporting structure than in p.e. in the green chain area, where the loadings on the structure are in a complete different order.     

Take also in account the live expectancy of the lumber in way of the log haul and the log deck, where soaked logs are dumped and turned and the structure is exposed to very wet conditions year round , it is logical that an easily replaceable board and nailing pattern is used.

A number of photo's of the Pino Grande mill ( and others) do show board patterns ending on the larger cross beams. I will scrutinise more photo's on this matter to see what is practice in the area around the edger and towards the green chain.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

Belg

Jacq, glad to see you had it in mind. I think your thought about being able to change boards easily has some merits, I would love to see some of your pics for the inspiration if you are so inclined. Thanks Pat