• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Your posts will be missed for sure.  Just when you really starting to get into the meat of the logging industry.
I'm sure everything will work out for the best for and do look forward to when you post again.
Good luck in everything you do!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

jacq01

It is only for a couple of weeks and than I will have all the time my wife allows me.   ;D  The worst of coming weeks will be the boring evenings in the hotels.   Maybe it gives me the opportunity to get some drawings done and to win the game with my wireless laptop.  When possible I'll post news and idea's.

Marc,
  on the cars. That is the problem for US importers and dealers. The factory price is fixed and already squeezed out, so the bigger the difference dollar / euro / crown,
the less cars will come your way.   There are rumours that P1 platform cars ( Focus, S40/V50 and Mazda 5 series ) will be manufactured in the US to offset currency differences and the unwanted large cars and to give Ford the much needed volume.
Volvo seems to have decided not to come with a follow up of the X90.
Now that the shares are shifting and the CEO of Ford is losing his support, the idea of Ford selling Volvo is rumoured again. Wait and see. Presently you have the benefit  :)

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

jacq01

I am glad to be back and return to honest discussions as the past week there was very little to no time to even think about modelling.
  With the present climate in the car industry it was not a very pleasant transfer of responsibilities. It was good to see some old aquintences, but the latest generation managers showed little knowledge of the topics. As I didn't do my presentations with power point or interlinked exel sheets, it was hard for them to understand the status of the
transferred technical problems, the solutions and the financials.

I'll pick up the point where we stopped after organising myself. It might be a bit slower than I want, as presently I am running the household as my wife is not allowed to do anything for at least 6-8 weeks after surgery.

But the best is to be back and enjoy the conversations again.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jaqc,

Nice to see you back. Glad to see you got that transition stuff behind you.

My best wishes to your wife for a speedy and healthy recovery.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

My wife's recovery is going very well. It leaves me more and more time for other activities. ;D ;D

I have prepared the final plan for the mill diorama but cannot reduce it to a presentable readable format to scan.
  To be able to scan the lot , I am drawing each module seperate so it can be presented for everyone to read.
  This larger scale of 1:5 (of 1:48)  benefits me as I can scale dimensions acurate and direct to the modules.
   For this purpose I made my own ruler.

I have been making some masters of mill equipment, like rollers for the resaw, slab/log turners,
  transfer table and chain details, several types of logkickers, edger.
  These masters will be used to make simple silicon moulds to cast a limited amount of white metal parts.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Glad to hear that your wife is doing well.

Can't wait to see the first scans and the castings you'll be doing.
Glad to see you back hard at work at this project.

Jerry
George Carlin

jacq01

I can get  red cedar scale cut to scale size from fine grained wood.
  Is this suitable or is it better to use baswood.  Your recommendations are appreciated.

Drawings of the diorama modules are coming along  :), but work is still calling, despite early retirement :(.

My wife is recovering very well  :)so more time was becoming available, was it not for all sort of mails, phonecalls
  etc. etc about the transfered work. During the transfer everybody said all was clear and signed for acceptance !!!! , but now it turns out that very little has been understood, especially the technical part. >:( >:(

Jacq

I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Jacq - Welcome back!
As far as the red cedar I dont know how it would work, but it is somewhat soft like bass.
I have heard from a friend that some guy named Boone wanted to sell a kit for Sturgen's sawmill made with redwood cut at the mill.
I'd say try a few pieces and post for the rest to critique.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Glad the wife is doing okay.

The Red Cedar sounds like it would be really nice I say the same as Marty give it a try so we can all see how it looks.
Hey if you weren't retired you wouldn't have anytime to spend here.  Funny when your working they don't miss you that much, but retire and they wonder where the hell did he go to.  We need help!!

Jerry
George Carlin

jacq01

A large bundle of scale 12"x12", 6"x12", 2"x12" redwood lumber arrived.
  After the show coming weekend in Orleans (F) I'll start on the foundations and groundfloor of the mill.

No interruptions from work anymore  ;D ;D ;D ;D 
  Only SWMBO can possibly interfere with all sort of "urgent"questions or odd jobs.  ;)
  Luckily I can turn off my hearing aids. ;D ;D

Jacq

I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Glad to hear that progress will start on the long awaited project.  It will be interesting to see how the redwood works.
I assume all is well with the wife now?

Jerry
George Carlin

jacq01

Finally  ;D ;D the first week without any interuptions. To be able to determine the mill size the width of the log carriage was needed. Based on the dimensions of the Hume-Bennet mill, PinoGrande photo's ( Finescale RR special ) and patent information of Trout setworks, headblocks and dogging arrangements, the carriage took shape.
I used some of the Western Scale carriage parts. Final size 23' x 13' as Hume-Bennet carriage.

The setwork tower still need some details, the drive under the carriage has been added based on patent drawings.  Multi dogging arrangement and goosenecks not added yet.  Sawdust, mud and barkrests will be added when carriage will be installed. Details on setwork towe still to be added.

Drawing of the mill is nearly finished, presently making scale size live rolls / resaw bandsaw / 
I am still experimenting with the red cedar I received. The grain is too coarse to use in highly visual area's.
Weathering till now unsatisfactory, most probably to impatient  >:(
Thinking of making base structure and parts that will be covered in dirt etc from the material in house.

I hope to post now on a regular basis again.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Really and outstanding job so far the carriage now sitting along the bandsaw is going to make a great impression on the size of the mill.
Will have to say that Westernscalemodels did a fine job with those parts and the bandsaw to bad he doesn't finish all the other pieces for a mill.
Glad your going to keep us up tp date now.  Hope the wife is doing fine??

Jerry
George Carlin

lab-dad

Absolutely stunning!
Really like the carriage and the Band saw!
I'm looking forward to seeing it installed.
-Marty

Chuck Doan

Here is a nice album of sawmill pics, some quite beautiful. You were mentioning covering things with dirt, Jacq note all the sawdust accumulation on this mill.

http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/frase_steam_sawmill
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/