• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Dear Jacq,

You have lost your cotton pickin' mind.

Very truly yours,

Uncle Russ

chester

Quote from: finescalerr on July 31, 2009, 02:20:02 AM
Dear Jacq,

You have lost your cotton pickin' mind.

Very truly yours,

Uncle Russ

Agreed but a fantastic modeler just the same. Amazing work Jacq, truly inspiring.

jacq01

steady progress on the machinery.

Here the first tests with the sides of the edger.  All stiffeners, flanges and fasteners still to be added.

All shafts and arbor are temporary and will be replaced with the correct lengths when bearing houses are in place.
   The saws will be visible so the sawshifting mechanism can be shown.

This will be a 5'0" double gang edger. The pressure rolls will be operated by a steam cilinder.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

MrBrownstone

Jacq,

You're scaring me man....You're scaring me...  :o ::) :o

It is just amazing the level you are working at....  :)

Mike

jacq01

Added some details to the edger. The complete edger is built from styrene sheet , tube and rod.

Edger with feedertable in position.

Belts still to be added.

When the final position is determined, the sawdust openings in the floor and ducts to the conveyors will be added.

Sideview of feedertable and edger. The adjusting levers will be replaced with scale size levers. NBW's and cant guides still to be added.

pressure rolls are adjustable.

Timbers shown are 16' long, apparently a standard size used with a lot of mill in northern California.

When applying the final weathering, all materials are in house except a good grease/oil representing paint. Any suggestion for stuff that is easily available in Europe?

This edger is based on patents from the period 1880 - 1910 by inventors that are associated with firms that produced sawmill equipment, like Allis Chalmers Mfg Co,  Prescott Co., American Sawmill Machinery Co, etc...

The floor is slowly filling up. Next item will be the trimmersaw and feed for the green chain, the transfers for slash from one side of the mill to the place where the slasher saws will be positioned.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

jacq01

Looking at the latest photo's again AND comparing the details with the other equipment already built, the steamcilinder  for the pressure rolls and the lever arms will be replaced with a new more to scale version version. 

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

LaserM

Jacq,

When are you going to fire this shop up?  In full production, it might challenge Northeastern's market.  Train a few mice to help keep things running smoothly ... interesting.  Low overhead and you pay your workers in cheese.

Outstanding job,
Mike

Krusty

QuoteWhen applying the final weathering, all materials are in house except a good grease/oil representing paint. Any suggestion for stuff that is easily available in Europe?

Jacq

Mig Productions sell an engine grease oil paint and an oil and grease wash. I haven't used them (they aren't available locally), but the results they produce look good in photographs.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

jacq01

Kevin , thanks. I have ordered the MIG paint

reworked edger :

Pressure rolls down.  The complete cilinder and linkages have been rebuilt with scale size material.

Steam cilinder and pressure rolls in up position.

To be finished with grease etc.

1/4 view from rear normally difficult to see.  steamtubes unpainted, should be wrapped in insulation material  ::)

saw guides hardly visible.

indication of size of machine. Figure measures 6'3" ( 1/43 Phoenix figure)

Jacq
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

MIG Productions Oil and Grease Stain Mixture used on my 1/35th Deutz . I reckon it looks pretty convincing , especially if you follow the instructions and build it up in several coats , feathering the edges out with thinners .

There should be no problems getting hold of it in Europe and to get hold of it in The US I would check out the military modelling retailers . Someone will have it .

Nick

shropshire lad

A close up . Possibly too close .

Ken Hamilton

I haven't been here in a little while & am just catching up with the new photos.

Jacq, this is CRAZY.  The finishes are superb. Beautiful job so far.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

A beautiful piece, Jacq!

For oils and grease I just mix black with a dark brown to get a nice color. I usually thin it for application.

Nick, I'm thinking you should be posting more photos somewhere....or have I missed something?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on August 14, 2009, 10:48:48 AM
A beautiful piece, Jacq!

For oils and grease I just mix black with a dark brown to get a nice color. I usually thin it for application.

Nick, I'm thinking you should be posting more photos somewhere....or have I missed something?

Chuck ,

You haven't missed anything , these are the first photos I have posted . The thing is , I feel so intimidated with all you top notch modellers posting all this great stuff that I am reluctant to show my feeble efforts .

Nick