• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratchbuilt warehouse in H0

Started by Hauk, August 24, 2012, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

In lack of any real progress, here is a snaphot of the model warehouse next to the real deal:

Conclusion? Colors are tricky.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

BKLN

C'mon, build that aerial tramway already!!!  ;D

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Very nice.

The prototype seems to have a "cooler" shade of red, whereas yours looks very "warm" (orangish?) But that might be due to the lighting.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Geoff Ringle

Looks great.
I agree with Ray, the lighting differs from building to model... especially the angle of the light.  The track side face of the real building is in the shade.  Your model has several light sources lighting up the track side face.
Try a photo outside with the sun at the same angle or shoot outside with the whole model in the shade.

billmart

Perhaps Hauk was not trying to achieve the same color as the prototype.

Bill Martinsen

Hauk

Quote from: billmart on April 02, 2014, 07:55:59 AM
Perhaps Hauk was not trying to achieve the same color as the prototype.

Bill Martinsen

O, yes, I was trying!
But as others has pointed out, it is hard to match colors of protytype stuff when the models are to be viewed on an indoor layout. I will try to take some outdoor images this weekend so we can see how much more closer the colors are in the same lighting.

But then again, It does not really matter as the lighting in the layout room is what really counts!

I am a bit uncertain about our choice of lightbulbs, I feel we should have tried to find some bulbs that are a bit closer to daylight.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Chuck Doan

Could just be a saturation adjustment.

Nevertheless, your model is excellent!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

It would seem more logical to color the model to match its prototype and adjust the layout lighting to display it properly. Yes? No?  -- russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on April 03, 2014, 11:56:18 AM
It would seem more logical to color the model to match its prototype and adjust the layout lighting to display it properly. Yes? No?  -- russ

I agree. In theory all that it takes is to find lightbulbs with the same color temperature as daylight.

And when I chose colors for the model, I checked them against pictures of the prototype.

The best would be to get samples of the paint. Thinking about it, on this building I could easily find a loose board to bring home!

But you would still have to compensate for the wieving distance, as there will be fare more atmospheric haze between the viewer/camera in real life than on the model railroad.

Regards, Hauk
--

TRAINS1941

Beautiful model.

Glad I'm not the only one who has problems with getting the model to show up in pictures.

Hauk I have the same problem with lighting sometimes I think it's the color red that makes the problem.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

chester

Agreed, color red a problem here too. Tried every @#$% setting on the camera and deep reds come out pinkish.
Structure is beautiful whatever the color though Hauk

Design-HSB

Hauk, did you ever tried to make to the camera white balance?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hauk

Quote from: Design-HSB on April 04, 2014, 10:23:39 AM
Hauk, did you ever tried to make to the camera white balance?

O yes.
I use a white card as a reference, but it is still a lot more yellow in the red compared to shooting in daylight.
Stay tuned for some daylight images tomorrow!
Regards, Hauk
--

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk, please try a piece of Styrofoam = polystyrene foam for the white balance.
Your wonderful model must still be to put in a better light.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal