• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratchbuilt warehouse in H0

Started by Hauk, August 24, 2012, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Looks beautiful. Glad to see you back on this.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

1-32

i like it as it is.with this scale i feel that a lot of weathering  does not work
kind regards kim

Gordon Ferguson

That is a lovely piece of work, especially in that scale.

Inclined to agree with Kim, any weathering I think needs to be done with the lightest of touches ( that's good coming from me  :D )

Although I wonder if the white on the windows and the name maybe could be toned down slightly, looks a bit stark to me ........ But that is probably what you are going to do
Gordon

finescalerr

I was wondering when we would see the next installment. It was worth the wait. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: 5thwheel on August 22, 2013, 02:21:25 PM
Beautiful job,  Some how though I expected to see sway backed ridge lines, these are mighty near perfect for an old building.

Bill

Sagging roofs ainĀ“t all that common, even on old neglected building. Here are a couple of recent pictures showing the ridgeline on the prototype:

Quite straight ridge. (Another issue is the windows not lining up straight...)

My building is to be set in the seventies, so it is to be in slightly better condition. Here is the only image I have found of the building in that decade:

I think it is possible to see that the windows lined up quite straight back then, while the paint was quite faded and worn. The roofing seems to be an quite light shade of weathered grey.

I have been in fact searching for prototypes of buildings with sagging roofs. Here is the "best" example I have found so far:

Its a good reference for weathering roofs as well.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on August 23, 2013, 12:25:22 AM
Although I wonder if the white on the windows and the name maybe could be toned down slightly, looks a bit stark to me ........ But that is probably what you are going to do

I think that maybe the whole building needs a "filter" to tone down things and help all the elements blend together. This must wait until the building is completed, and the scenery colors decided. But I really dread that sort of final "make or break" weathering.

I have to make a dummy wall with a little roofing (maybe a little shed) and experiment with a matt varnish with some earth color added.

Or I might leave things as they are, it might be that the latest image is bit light. In this close-up posted a while back it looks a bit better:

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

5thwheel

You are right that old building has nice ridge-lines. I for sure not aiming for a negative comment, your work is very nice.   Here in the Pacific Northwest I am more used to sagging lines, that is unless they fall down first.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

Quote from: 5thwheel on August 23, 2013, 06:17:34 AM
You are right that old building has nice ridge-lines. I for sure not aiming for a negative comment, your work is very nice.   Here in the Pacific Northwest I am more used to sagging lines, that is unless they fall down first.

I did not feel that your comment was negative at all. I agree that you would expect the ridgeline of that building to have sagged somewhat.

I appreciate constructive criticism, and this forum is one of the very few places people will give you that.

And thanks to all for the interest in my project!
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

About the weathering: You really made me think. When I compare the model to the side and 3/4 views it looks very close. But, on closer inspection, the full size building's coloration looks less intense or less saturated. The front view, especially, seems almost to have a film over it along with the streaks and the doors show a different kind of weathering than your initial stain.

While you could get away with leaving the finish as it is (and have an excellent "layout quality" model), I'd like to see you take the next step and add more weathering. You have the eye and the talent to pull it off.

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on August 23, 2013, 11:06:20 AM
About the weathering: You really made me think. When I compare the model to the side and 3/4 views it looks very close. But, on closer inspection, the full size building's coloration looks less intense or less saturated. The front view, especially, seems almost to have a film over it along with the streaks and the doors show a different kind of weathering than your initial stain.

While you could get away with leaving the finish as it is (and have an excellent "layout quality" model), I'd like to see you take the next step and add more weathering. You have the eye and the talent to pull it off.

Russ

Food for thought... I think you are right, even if I am not entirely sure about the last paragraph.

What makes it so difficult is how different the building looks in the prototype pictures. Compare the two images on the top, the winter image  gives the impression of a much more saturated, intense color.

So I think I should only trust prototype images so far, and in the end trust the impression that has stuck in my mind after studying the subject over the years.

What I have to do is to place the model on the layout, make some decisions and complete the weathering under the same lighting as on the layout.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

chester

We got sag.

marc_reusser

I agree that looking at the last image of the model, it could use some slight bit of de-saturation....or overall weathering/unification.... sort of a "scale effect", .....BUT.....like you note the building is out of context. I think your idea of building at least some of the scene around it and then setting the building in to judge, will give you a far better and more accurate feel of where you need to go with it...if anywhere at all...will likely turn out to be perfect as it is.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Also, he said that the building was "to be set in the seventies, so it is to be in slightly better condition." The present day prototype photos show the building with 40 more years of weathering.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Either way, the full size building's paint is more opaque and the model's is more of a stain. Some kind of color unification might improve the effect. -- Russ

Max Corey

Hi.  Trying this first time.

From my experience, roof sag goes along with dis-repair.  Old houses,  garages, sheds and barns that are abandoned, sag. So do the windows, doors and the walls, usually.  So more a matter of time and neglect.  I would think common sense would help you determine if there should be a bit of sag or not.  Once the roof is leaking, the cross members will get wet and bow.

I think part of the fun of realistic model building is figuring out just how much "sag" or weathering to give it.  Old and abandoned, sure, give it some sag.  Swaybacked railroad rolling stock/cars/buggys were and are fairly common but difficult to model.

Oh, I like your model of this tramway building (I assume to unload the tram buckets into railroad cars) sag or no sag.

Heck my back sways these days.

Max in MI
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.