• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratchbuilt warehouse in H0

Started by Hauk, August 24, 2012, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

One thing I have not mentioned is that SketchUp was a very useful tool for sorting out the roof on the irregular shaped part of the complex. I had no prototype drawings that showed this, so I had to sort everything out based on sketch of the footprint and pictures.

Here is a rendering:
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

Still at it. All panelling done, the whole building is colored. All but two windows have been glazed with microscope coverslips and mounted.

This is how it looks tonight.

(That black "scenery" is just a fill of pixels, courtesey of Photoshop. All of the building is for real, though.)

Subroof, gutters, drainpapes and tarpaper are next.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Mobilgas

Craig

Chuck Doan

I like the lettering. I am wondering how it was done.  :)
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: Chuck Doan on January 10, 2013, 01:03:51 PM
I like the lettering. I am wondering how it was done.  :)

Thanks to both of you for taking an interest in my work!

The lettering was made with an vinyl self adhesive stencil that was cut on a CNC-cutter. I could not find a suitable fontface for the letters, so I traced a photo of the sign in Adobe Illustrator to make the cutting paths. The letters were airbrushed with Vallejo acrylic paint. The color was plain white cut with a tiny drop of black.

Finally, the sign was abused a bit with an fibreglass eraser.

The stencil was cut by a friend of mine, and I am really grateful for not having to cut it by hand!
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

It looks very good at this point. I am enjoying your progress. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Very nice Hauk.  Really love that coloring.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on January 11, 2013, 06:16:11 PM
Very nice Hauk.  Really love that coloring.

Jerry

Thanks!
What I personally love about he coloring is that it took very little time and effort!
Before gluing them to the subwalls I stained all the boards with Silverwood dilluted 1 to 1 with white spirits. Then I ground Conte Crayons on grade 40 sandpaper and sprinkeled it on the walls. I did this after panelling, but before assembly of the building and prior to installing the windows. With a medium stiff paintbrush I worked the powder into the walls. If any area got too red, I used the fibreglass eraser along the grain to remove some. When I was happy with the results, I sprayed the walls with artist fixative.

Honestly, all of the painting took at most a couple of hours.

But the the panelling took forever. I was totally bored by boards in the end...
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Well, I tought I had chosen a rather obscure prototype for my warehouse, but guess what:

A resin model! For around 140 USD you can get a fully asembled and painted model of the main facade of my building.

Fortunately, in my not so humble opinion it looks like crap. Reminds me of those 70-ies Verlinden military dioramas.

But a *little* bit annoying nevertheless...
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

As the building is placed in a rather steep hillside, there are quite a few retaining walls and foundations to be built. These were buillt from cut stone.
I have started to experient with carving those in plaster.

This is how far I have gotten:

I cast a big piece with a sloping front. I lined the mould with the black foam you can see under the casting.

The stones were carved into the block.
After chipping the stones with various sharp instruments the wall looked like this:

As you can see, this is a rather long wall:

This image is a bit misleading, it will be cut shorter and rounded off at one end. Most of it will be placed behind the long lovwer part of the building. For regular viewing maybe 20% of it will be visible.

The size of the darn thing and the fact that this is H0 scale are the reasons I accept this rather crude result.
With some decent coloring this should work for the purpose.

Regarding the coloring, I am open for suggestions on how to approch.

Build up the colors with stains or seal the whole thing and use covering layers followed by washes?

Regards, Hauk
--

lab-dad

That looks pretty darn good! But in HO; excellent.
I think you are over examining it too.
Once in place it will likely be looked over.

I never seal castings.
I like the way the colors are absorbed differently, however if you go too far or mess up it is almost impossible to remove. I recently played with gouaches on some castings and was quite pleased with the results/effects.
The best advise i have seen is to study real walls. Often repeated here for good reason.

With all the other guys here playing with walls and mold and such you should get some more proficient replies than mine.

-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Nice work!

When I worked with plaster, my preference was to stain it, rather than paint. Stained plaster has a less glossy, more natural appearance, IMHO, than paint.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Hauk

A little progress. All roofing is in place, and first stages of weathering is applied. A bit unsure about how to proceeds. I guess I have to  experiment a bit on a dummy roof

Regards, Hauk
--

5thwheel

Beautiful job,  Some how though I expected to see sway backed ridge lines, these are mighty near perfect for an old building.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.