• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Modellers At Work / Re: Not actually a Union Gas E...
Last post by Bernhard - Today at 12:06:50 PM
I agree with Russ. I'm also looking forward to the mining locomotive.

Bernhard
Modellers At Work / Re: Feldbahnmodule with ship
Last post by Bernhard - Today at 11:40:55 AM
Nice parts!

Bernhard
Last post by finescalerr - May 14, 2024, 12:45:57 AM
You certainly seem to have mastered your craft. Sea Biscuit is most satisfactory. Now let's see how the others turn out. -- Russ
Last post by Barney - May 13, 2024, 02:11:56 PM
Just a few more Dabbles "Sea Biscuit" nearly there a few bits of touching up and some oily bits on the engine fuel lines in just waiting on speed control/choke cable /tools and a few wires
The mining loco well on its way and flat car
The AWFUL TRACK is from the PECO SM32 range and is way over scale even for 1/16 scale models
Just using it for Demo purpose
Barney   
Modellers At Work / Re: Sandy Hollow
Last post by finescalerr - May 13, 2024, 12:21:37 PM
Please send before and after photos of your bald spot. -- Russ
Last post by finescalerr - May 13, 2024, 12:20:05 PM
As we have seen here many times, it is almost impossible to avoid tiny parts in model building unless the scale is almost 1:1. -- Russ
Last post by fspg2 - May 13, 2024, 05:54:13 AM
Thank you all!

@Lawrence
That should be the norm  ;)

@Bernhard
The base shown in picture 08 has the following dimensions: 263.7mm x 157.25mm x 44.45mm.
The scale of 1:22.5 is only 1.42 times larger than 1:32. After my change from 0-scale (1:43.5) to 1:22.5, it also seemed huge to me at first!  However, this is increasingly put into perspective - even now some parts seem quite small to me.

Since I have no further information about the interior of the Münzel harbor crane, I searched for old drawings on the WWW and found an interesting site with many drawings of old harbor cranes:

https://www.kran-info.ch/technik.htm

Antriebszahnrad 11 (fspg2)

Detail of a drawing from 1900 - found at: https://www.kran-info.ch/technik.htm

I based the assembly of the drive gear on the drawing above.

Antriebszahnrad 01 (fspg2)

Antriebszahnrad 05 (fspg2)

The 3.0 mm thick silver steel axle is ball-bearing mounted in a profiled brass tube.

Antriebszahnrad 07 (fspg2)

Antriebszahnrad 08 (fspg2)

I turned the profile part from a 14.0 mm MS58 bar.

Antriebszahnrad 09 (fspg2)

Antriebszahnrad 10 (fspg2)

As soon as the ordered spur gear (module 0.5 with 15 teeth) arrives, the holes for the 5.0 mm center hole and the six 0.8 mm fastening screws in the base plate of the crane housing can be drilled.

In the meantime, the capsule slip ring has already been positioned in the crane housing on a trial basi

Kapsel Schleifring 03 (fspg2)

The upper part, which is only 12.5 mm x 12.5 mm thick (instead of 15.0 mm x 15.0 mm in the description), is later screwed to the base plate.

Kapsel-Schleifring Montageansicht 01 (fspg2)

To prevent the part of the slip ring that can rotate through 360° from twisting after the crane housing has been mounted in the slewing ring base, I divided the inner guide tube into two sections at a 45° angle.
The lower tube section (colored green) is then glued into the outer guide tube of the base (colored red) with Loctite 648.
The upper part (colored yellow) is firmly glued to the lower rotatable segment of the slip ring.
The 45° bevel of the two pipe sections prevents the lower part from twisting.
However, the upper part of the crane can still be easily dismantled for maintenance.

Kapsel-Schleifring Montageansicht 02 (fspg2)

Last post by Bill Gill - May 13, 2024, 04:41:02 AM
Kim, looks like the head scratching is working, that's a good looking building even though it's a bit more 'kempt' than your usual structures  ;)
Last post by 1-32 - May 13, 2024, 02:26:06 AM
Cheers everybody.
Here is a build that I am doing the reference is the 100-year photo in the background, with no dimensions.
I will go over the background at the end of the week but it has a different technique more of a style item than a scale model. Definitely a head-scratcher my bald patch has just gotten bigger.
cheers
DSC_4763.JPG
Last post by Bernhard - May 11, 2024, 11:11:57 AM
If I look at picture 08 correctly, the thing will be huge. You don't really realize that when you only see the individual parts. Impressive!

Bernhard