• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

morning.
Just a random drawing from a very random Guy.
Here is a sketch of my standards that I use for 1/32 to 1/35 narrow gauge.
My foot and inches brain just stopped working but if anybody wants a conversion I will do it.
I use the most commonly available materials code 100 rail at 16.5 mm gauge in 1/35 scale it is 600 mm or 2-foot gauge
cheers.
DSC_9342.jpg

1-32

Typical.
 After looking at my rolling stock width measurements on a scale of 1/35 it should read between 34  to 47 mm. Thirty-four for mineral skiffs and forty-seven for general carriers . I model general carriers

1-32

1-32

Morning all.
Moving back a bit and a picture of the screw bolts that I use to attach all my frames together.
They come in different lengths and diameters, I usually add a big washer to each side to spread the pressure a bit.
In my past life, I occasionally made special items for those who have difficulty with pressure or fiddly joiners I found using similar fasteners to be excellent.
cheers
P1030620.jpg

1-32

Hi all,
How are you doing?
Moving along with the big job, here you see the formwork of the approach to the Swamp module. Most of this section is water of different depths,as you can see the base has been cut out in different patterns to give the illusion of depth.
The overall appearance of this module is to display my boats and the narrow gauge rail line approaching the town and industry.
cheers.
P1030633.jpg

1-32

Good Morning all.
As always wishing you all the very best of health.
Moving along with the big job on a scale of 1/35 to 1/32.
Since my last post, the Boat section water section size 1190 by 410-47.5 inches by 16.5 inches is taking place.
Here you see the formers for the landscape.
The story is from left to right you travel into the scene over a metal bridge and pass through some low-lying hills the landscape is dry with vegetation growing beside the track.
The boat pond is still water maybe a few navigation aids and perhaps a half but lots of room for my different boats.
Anyway onwards.
P1030662 (2).jpg   

finescalerr

This is your first layout or diorama on this forum large enough to develop scenery with a sense of distance. It's already shaping up beautifully. -- Russ

Barney

Looking good
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

1-32

Hi Russ and Barney.
Yes, this is the first one that I have built that is a journey.
But I lie about 20 years ago I built a 1.8 or 6-foot shelf layout that was also a small journey and re-visiting the pictures I convinced myself that I really should be building more of this concept.
The only thing that I have to watch is the weight about 10 kg is about my limit, about 22 pounds.
This picture is OK but I am looking to get the module properly set up when it is less messy.
cheers.

Lawton Maner

The stiffeners on the module are too clean and neat, like most of the locals I know you need to switch to used pizza boxes so that the module is a bit more environmentally sensitive.  there is one corner in our playpen which always has a pile of them waiting to be used. 

Otherwise this start is a great tease as to what is to come. 

I pick up empty refrigerator boxes at the local appliance store and dismantle them, rip the cardboard into strips on a table saw,weave them into the base for scenery and cover it with plaster gauze made from recycled bed sheets from where ever I can find them.

1-32

Hi Lawton.
My imagination is running wild just thinking of a double cheese, meat lovers, thin-crust pizza living forever under the Big Job.
And the bed sheet what a good idea I have a sheet that is about to get replaced it also might also be united with the meat lovers' pizza somewhere under there.
Cheers Lawton.

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Lawton Maner on June 04, 2023, 02:42:19 PMThe stiffeners on the module are too clean and neat, like most of the locals I know you need to switch to used pizza boxes so that the module is a bit more environmentally sensitive.  there is one corner in our playpen which always has a pile of them waiting to be used. 

Otherwise this start is a great tease as to what is to come. 

I pick up empty refrigerator boxes at the local appliance store and dismantle them, rip the cardboard into strips on a table saw,weave them into the base for scenery and cover it with plaster gauze made from recycled bed sheets from where ever I can find them.

I'm a fan of chicken wire covered in newspaper strips bonded with wallpaper paste.  I find the wire easy to manipulate and form, and the shell is sufficiently robust without any plaster dust if it is cut. Very light too. Might be a problem in future as we no longer get a newspaper...
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

1-32

Hi Lawrence.
Very good, I like it.
I was going down the path of wire insect screen, but somehow I got caught up in the plaster bandage approach
.Dont know why I think it was cheap at the time, yes that was it.
cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

All the best Ray.
The world of cameras is changing, mirrorless cameras are here and many of the major camera brands are no longer making lenses etc for cameras with mirrors.
This is excellent news for me as a lot of professional photographers are offloading at really good prices I love it as I am a self-student and want to improve .
Here we see Walter waiting for the postman shot with an 18 to 200 mm lens.
cheers
DSC_9545 (2).jpg