• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

RLF Shed

Started by eTraxx, October 28, 2010, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

The corrugated looks nice! Where'd you find it?
-Marty

eTraxx

I found this Friskars Paper Crimper at Michaels. Used some aluminum from cake pans. Just wish I had access to the right equipment as it would be fairly simple to make a set of 'gears' for different scales.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

teejay99

Ed a few years back I picked up a bag of assorted plastic gears as well as a bag of various pulleys . I know the pulleys were Tamiya "educational construction series " ...can't remember if the gears were Tamiya or not . The various sizes would be ideal for biggers scales .

Terry
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

finescalerr

The Fiskars thing has been around for a long time and works well for 1:24 - 1:20.3. Too bad nobody makes something similar for HO, 1:48, or 1:32 - 1:35. Some of the guys have made their own presses, of course, but that begs the question. -- Russ

Mobilgas

Ed,    You need to call the city and complain about this EYE SORE..... its dragging the neighborhood down ::)     Craig
Craig

Carlo

Re: Friskars Paper Crimper...

Can't one of you bright modeler/machinists come up with a way to make and market replacement rollers for this gadget, in different scales? I know a bunch of guys who would buy them for 7/8ths and 1" scales.

Carlo

eTraxx

Caro. It's just a long gear. That's it. I've cut 'em before on a horizontal mill. Thinking someone with one of those combo lathe/mills and an index wheel could make a killing!
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

One end of the brick structure is supposed to be 'whacked off' from a larger building. The reason that I have this little 'bit' left. I added that brick while ago .. slapped on some white paint then ripped and tore the foam (why you can see the blue). Anyhoo .. thought this photo came out nice

Edit: Dang it. Just noticed that I need to add broken bricks to the parts above the tarred roof. *meh*
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Little more progress. The shed contest is up on the 21st soooo ... gotta get cranking (but .. I'm almost outta beer)

Ed Traxler

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Guys,
It is not necessarily fine scale modeling but Yogi has a lot of information on making corrigated metal and roofing, in larger scales, on his web site.
Here  http://users.stratuswave.net/~wd8jik/

Later
Rick

eTraxx

Rick. Thanks for that link. Most of my modeling will be in 1:48 and I think it sucks that I can't purchase an 'off the shelf' item like the Fiskars Paper Crimper with 'gears' for that scale. Links like that always help with the "why didn't I think of that" ..
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Finished the shed. Contest was over today. Wish I hadn't been pushed for time. Good practice though. View through door

Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Sweet! Lots of character in that old shed. The old ventilator fan is a nice touch.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Thanks Ray. I actually have a fan blade behind that grille. I didn't go any further .. like adding a shape of a motor since I realized that you can't see the darn thing. Darn it. Ha. I may play with LEDs later .. illuminating the back side of the ventilator might be interesting.
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Please post more photos of the completed model including a couple of overall shots. It looks good. -- Russ