• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 scale auto repair shop

Started by Malachi Constant, May 15, 2010, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Dallas ...................... what I did not need at this moment was that LINK.

I cannot see my workbench for unfinished projects, going to have to stop starting things until I finish something/anything.

Mind you that Auto Ambulance might not take long, and that those Presses look sort of nice...........................but in 1/24 am fiddling with a quick? little project in 1/35 and its driving me nuts
Gordon

Mobilgas

Dallas,   I'm going to have to check my stash of Tow Truck and Garage stuff i think it might of wandered off to your garage :o The weaver site has been in my stash of goodies for years....thats what i was useing for my O scale Tow Truck Build ::) another one of my build's thats sitting waiting to be finished :-[ along with my 1/25 Gas Station...and a couple other project's.  I take it your going to build a Tow Truck ;)
Craig

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Mobilgas on April 15, 2012, 06:56:52 PM
I take it your going to build a Tow Truck ;)

Yeah, and sometimes being slow can pay off!  I've got one of the "old" Gaz kits (Toko, Zvezda or Eastern Express -- think those are all the same) and some photo-etch parts for that ... but it looks like the new Mini-Art kits are a big step forward.  There are several reviews and/or builds on these showing really nice detail ...

So, I think I'll wait for the "AA" version to come out and go from there ... there are lots of crane/towing mechs out there, but having one that's clearly illustrated and suited to the period will be a big help.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

michael mott

QuoteYeah, and sometimes being slow can pay off!

never was a truer word spoken in jest!

We all need to slow down, it will save the planet!

Michael

Malachi Constant

Only half in jest!  Learned along time ago that if I don't "roll with it" (whatever the "it" happens to be at the time), I'll go completely nuts.  ;)  And, to those who would suggest I went nuts a long time ago ... that's true ... this approach allows me to be a happy lunatic.  : 8)  :P

Along those lines, my Mom broke her wrist two weeks ago ... nasty break with metal plates and all that "fun" stuff, so I've been spending a lot of time helping her out ... especially the first week or so when the pain was really intense.  Things have settled down now, and I'll just be adjusting my schedule to take her to physical therapy twice a week for the next month or so.  Fortunately, it was her mother, my grandmother, who fostered the "roll with it" attitude in the family ... so she's doing well ... and it'll all work out.

Modeling time is shot to heck, but I figure the real joy in the hobby is when you do get those "precious few moments" (sometimes that's all you get) to get deeply involved and "taken away" with whatever the project is.  That's fun stuff.  And, when those aren't happening, it's especially nice to come to the forum for a few minutes and piggyback onto the fun of someone else's project that happens to be moving at the moment.

Have a few new 1/35 figures begging for attention here ... in a state where a few minutes would further each one, so it'll all work out ... and we'll see some more progress here ... whenever! 

Cheers,
Dallas

Arthur Gamon

Hi Dallas--Hope all is going okay on the home front and your mother is a lot better.  Got a bunch of ideas from this build, and really look forward to seeing how you pull it all together.  Best to you.

Malachi Constant

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

I'm not afraid of dusty old topics!  ;D

I've been thinking for quite some time that it would be nice to have a "Mr. Chambers" at Chambers Gas & Oil ... and that it would be awfully nice to have him resemble that cranky but loveable curmudgeon that Mike Chambers had adopted as an avatar ...

One day, while perusing 1/35 scale figures, this set from MasterBox caught my eye ...

So, I cruised on over to the MasterBox website (http://www.mbltd.info/) to see if they had any actual photos ... and thought that this looked like a pretty good starting point ...

Grafting the head from Mike's avatar onto the other body in the MasterBox set caused me to get pretty excited about the idea!

Now, just to be perfectly clear, I certainly would NOT want to caricature Mike in any way. So, this fellow will be "Mitch" Chambers ... a cranky but loveable old guy who just happens to have the same last name and hopefully reminds us of Mike's wonderful sense of humor!

Here's the actual head from the MasterBox set ... he looks a little too easy going at this point, but that will disappear ... once we "rearrange his face" a bit!  ;D

Of course, that should be "easy" because 1/35 scale heads are so "big" ...

Work in progress! Still have to fine-tune his chin, nose and ears ... customize his hat ... and add a disheveled shirt collar ...

Smashing some pictures together to check the comparison ... definitely needs a much bigger hat and a little more chin ... will also make a few other little refinements ... but it looks pretty encouraging at this point!  8)

Cheers,
Dallas

lab-dad

Impressive!
Also a nice way to remember Mike.
I thought right out of the box was close, you will be spot on when finished!
-Mj

Junior

Looks fantastic so far! Well done Dallas and great idea as usual.

Anders

Mobilgas

Looks good.... buy the time your done it will look just like the picture
Craig

finescalerr

Better look out. Mike just sent a cease and desist order .... -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Definitely awesome!

What kind of clay/putty are you using?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 07, 2013, 12:10:49 PM
Definitely awesome!

What kind of clay/putty are you using?

Thanks, everyone!  I think Mitch will end up being a lot of fun ...

Ray -- It's a two-part epoxy called "Magic Sculpt" ... it air-dries ... has a good working time ... and smooths/shapes very well ... it dries quite hard, but can be sanded & carved after it hardens.  Available from Tap Plastics and various sources:

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/mold_making_materials/sculpting_materials/magic_sculpt_compound/110

A couple of notes:

-- When applying the putty to a figure, I first smear on a thin coat of Vallejo matt varnish ... let that tack-dry (for just a couple of minutes) while mixing up a little bit of putty ... then apply.  If you don't do this, the putty may or may not actually stick to the figure ... if you do this, it sticks well!

-- You have a good bit of working time ... the putty is quite soft for the first 15-30 minutes, then it gradually starts to harden ... after an hour it's quite firm, but not fully hardened ...

-- For most of the fine work, I use three tools most often:  x-acto knife w/ #11 blade, angled plastic toothpick, blunt sewing needle in a pin vise (for shaping the really small stuff) ...

-- At the early stages, dust the tool(s) with talc (paper powder) to start pressing / shaping the putty ... and thus avoid causing the tool to drag or grab the material ...

-- As it starts to firm, you can dip the tool in a little bit of thick hand soap or aloe gel, which will allow you to glide the tool across the surface and smooth/refine shapes ...

After it's fully set, you can do additional carving / sanding as needed ... for really tiny stuff, a wooden toothpick is actually "rough" enough to do some smoothing ... and you can sand down the toothpick to make it even "finer" grit!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Thanks for the info, I may have to give that a try some time. I've heard of Magic Sculp and some have used it for details on outdoor models, but this is the first I've heard of it being used for figure work.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World