• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hollis Pest Control [1:87]

Started by Craig, October 16, 2021, 08:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

After some delay, I finally got my latest diorama across the finish line just the other day. This is a diorama of a FOS Scale Model kit, Hollis Pest Control.

I set out looking to once again play with verticality and different terrains, landforms and textures. My initial thoughts was to set this diorama in a rural setting, but after some further thinking, I settled on a more urban environment (it offered more opportunity for what I wanted to play with — water, bridge, brickwork, fencing etc...)

I built the kit pretty much to Doug's instructions, only adding a scratch-built awning for the loading bay and some extra details like chimneys and ducting. I did alter some roofing materials.

The base is entirely pink foam from Home Depot, built up in layers. The paving was made from spreading an even, but thick layer of joint compound, carving when dry. The road is the same recipe I used on the Flux Mill and Lamont Camera.

The flowing water was made using a sheet of acetate that was tapered and covered with epoxy. When dry, white paint was streaked over the top of the hardened glue. For the foaming water, Woodland Scenics Snow and Mod-Podge (Glossy) was mixed to create a white slurry. Careful application made it appear natural and animated. The deep water was a simple, colored pouring of Envirotex Lite.

For the bridge, I used a Rix Products kit I picked up for $8 and added 3D printed road railings. Other 3D printed details include the tall gas tanks, old dresser and the air compressor (a SierraWest print).

Design-HSB

Hello Greg, I love such dioramas that represent excerpts from the landscape. Great thanks for showing.

But I still have one question, how did this very fine chain-link fence come about, or what is it made of?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Craig seems to crank out such detailed dioramas every couple of months. Some are from kits, other of his own design; he has both a laser cutter and 3-D printer. I hope everyone also has noticed the quality of his lighting and photography. The big question, though, is where he has room to store or display his work. -- Russ

Craig

Thank you, Helmut. The chain-link fence is a material called "Tulle". It is a very fine netting material most commonly used for wedding veils. Can be found at most arts and crafts store.

Russ, thank you for your kind words. A good quality DSLR really does make all the difference. Both this and the Flux Mill were commissioned pieces so the storage wasn't an issue. One day I'll have a layout, though!

Barney

Nice detail for such a small scale -
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

shropshire lad

Hi Craig ,

I like both of your dioramas that you have shown to us . I approve of the way you think out side of the box to produce results that are not run of the mill . One cannot but notice the George Sellios influences and I look forward to seeing your 30' layout finished by the end of next year !

However, I would implore you to reconsider the use of Campbell's shingles on roofs of future builds . They are so 1970s and there are far better alternatives available .

Keep churning the models out .

Nick

Craig

Quote from: Barney on October 16, 2021, 01:32:34 PM
Nice detail for such a small scale -
Barney

Thank you, Barney. I love to get at the detail in this scale!

Quote from: shropshire lad on October 16, 2021, 04:24:58 PM
Hi Craig ,

I like both of your dioramas that you have shown to us . I approve of the way you think out side of the box to produce results that are not run of the mill . One cannot but notice the George Sellios influences and I look forward to seeing your 30' layout finished by the end of next year !

However, I would implore you to reconsider the use of Campbell's shingles on roofs of future builds . They are so 1970s and there are far better alternatives available .

Keep churning the models out .

Nick

Thank you, Nick. George has (and continues to be) a huge inspiration for me. It's as if he's built an entire layout specific to my tastes...

re: Campbell shingles. You know, it's that very reason I like them. They have a whimsy and charm to them I can't shake. Full disclosure... I actually like them so much I just bought a few more rolls from Campbells!  8)

I'm a firm believer of cycling new materials though. Good modelers build what they know, great modelers try something new. Thanks again!

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful work! Lots of clutter but not overdone. I like the "cut-off" bridge, that's something I haven't seen before.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Wow! Beautiful work. Lot's to look at.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Craig

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 17, 2021, 12:48:33 PM
Beautiful work! Lots of clutter but not overdone. I like the "cut-off" bridge, that's something I haven't seen before.

Thank you, Ray. The bridge was an important aspect, even early on... and I'm just glad it worked!

Quote from: Chuck Doan on October 18, 2021, 09:57:35 AM
Wow! Beautiful work. Lot's to look at.

Couldn't be more grateful, Chuck. Thank you! As a man who's diorama details I listlessly ogle, this means a lot.

Hauk

Nice work!
George Sellios would be impressed, too.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Craig

Thanks, Hauk! I'll be passing it across George's bows next time we speak!

shropshire lad

Quote from: Craig on October 19, 2021, 12:31:41 PM
Thanks, Hauk! I'll be passing it across George's bows next time we speak!

...and I know what he'll say . He'll say ' Top notch job , me old mucker, but ditch them whimsical and charming shingles and buy yourself some nice strips of cedar and cut your own !" Ha, ha , ha .

WP Rayner

Impressive work Craig. I like how you think outside the box in terms of angles and elevations... makes the dioramas much more dynamic. The level of detail and subsequent narratives taking place is exceptional, especially in HO scale. Also appreciate your sense of humour... "Mothers-in-Law."
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Doane

Craig: Really enjoying what you are doing in 1:87... this looks great!