Westlake Publishing Forums
November 28, 2021, 05:28:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Made Riveter  (Read 701 times)
Bernd

« on: August 24, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »

Here's a tool I built many years ago. I built it at the place I was employed. I was working in the companies tool room doing first piece inspection on production machines. During a loll I had some free time to build this cast iron riveter. It's based on an article in Model Railroader way back when. The author built his out of wood. Having access to lathes, milling machines and other tooling in the tool room I built one out of cast iron and tool steal.

I don't have any dimensions at hand presently but could draw it up and post a PDF file.

The "L" shaped arm is movable to give certain travel to the "hammer". This way you'll always get consistent size rivets.

I'm sure you're wondering how to space the rivets. I use a 2D CAD program to draw up the rivets and print it out and used spray adhesive to attach the printed rivets. The following pictures should be quite self explanatory. This how I did the rivets on the side of On30 boxcab on .020" thick styrene.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:03:21 PM by Bernd » Logged

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds
SandiaPaul

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 06:41:18 PM »

Nice work. I have that old MR article saved somewhere.

Paul
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 11:03:47 PM »

That's a nice piece of hardware!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakinís World
Bernd

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »

Thanks Paul & Ray.

Works pretty goo to for what I need to do.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds
Lawton Maner

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:25:11 AM »

Nice work.  If I'm correct that article was back in the dark ages when MR actually was interested in teaching modelers how to do things other then open boxes and set the built up model onto the track. 
     Every journey of a millions rivets starts with a single hammer blow.
Barney

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »

Very Interesting and a great idea
Barney
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: