• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sternwheel engines

Started by Les Tindall, July 04, 2021, 07:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

I don't know if you can find a copy now but I am getting my information from The marine Iron Works of Chicago U.S.A.  It is a reprint off a 1902 catalogue. ISBN 0-948885-00-9.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Les Tindall

Hi Bill, amused by the thought of turds flying around the sternwheel!  Thanks again for the info.  My boat will have a squared-off bow as it will have the (Erie or Bucyrus) "clam shell" dredger fitted.   Looking at the engine size chart you posted the boat will be a little overpowered as I am nearing completion of the engines.  Mine are 10" bore with 4ft stroke, but then the extra power would be useful with that flat front. I'll post some photos when the engines are done.
Les

Les Tindall

Well the two engines are almost complete (as far as can be before mounting on the support beams which will include the main transmission beam).  The reversing gear will then be added.  The attached photo shows them in my usual dark grey before final painting with steel, silver, etc. to highlight the detail.   Some of the bits were rather fideley (scale is 1/24th) especially the springs on top of the valve levers (very fine plastic rod wrapped around a larger piece of rodding) plus lots of nbw's (from Historex Agents here in the UK).
Les

5thwheel

Looks believable.  Nice job.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Chuck Doan

Just catching up...nice work Les! Interesting project.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Les Tindall

Thanks for the comments.  Just spotted a couple or errors,  a rather "blobby" look on the end of the front cylinder and a nut missing on the back one.   Now rectified.  Its amazing what you can spot in a photo and not in "real life"!   
Les

Barney

Another superb piece of plastic engineering  - great stuff  Les
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bill Gill

Les,  the engines are looking good. What did you print them in?
Whatever you call it  (head, loo...) I'm sure it wouldn't have anything remotely like a holding tank.

Lot of good information in general in this thread. I want to make an 18 foot HO scale steam launch.
I have a hull but haven't found anything I can use as an engine. Anyone have ideas?

Les Tindall

Hi Bill, the engines are scratch built in styrene (tube, strip, angle, etc), lots of fiddley bits but reasonable happy with the result.   I've been thinking about the head (loo) and decided a couple of buckets (suitably "weathered!") would be about right - keep it BASIC.  At the end of the day it is a work boat.
Your thoughts about a small steam launch sound interesting.  It would say a small vertical boiler, nicely clad in wood and lots of brasswork, coupled to a small single cylinder engime would look about right.  Very Victorian. Perhaps take a look at the film "African Queen" for ideas.
Les

Bill Gill

Thanks, Les. Somehow I got it in my sieve of a head that you 3D printed the engines. They look really good.

Yes, I have a few photos of steam launches, new and restored, taken at a museum, and your description of details to feature are spot on.
I'm not that good to be able model the engine in HO scale, but have been looking at possibly kitbashing an HO Woodland Scenics Rural Sawmill engine and boiler that a friend gave me, although the castings are very rough. I think the molds have passed their prime.
Here's what the kit looks like built as intended.

5thwheel

Quote from: Bill Gill on July 20, 2021, 03:20:38 PM
Thanks, Les. Somehow I got it in my sieve of a head that you 3D printed the engines. They look really good.

Yes, I have a few photos of steam launches, new and restored, taken at a museum, and your description of details to feature are spot on.
I'm not that good to be able model the engine in HO scale, but have been looking at possibly kitbashing an HO Woodland Scenics Rural Sawmill engine and boiler that a friend gave me, although the castings are very rough. I think the molds have passed their prime.
Here's what the kit looks like built as intended.

I would suggest that you turn the engine 90ยบ and run the prop shaft directly off the flywheel rather than by belt.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Les Tindall on July 19, 2021, 11:32:53 AM
Well the two engines are almost complete (as far as can be before mounting on the support beams which will include the main transmission beam).  The reversing gear will then be added.  The attached photo shows them in my usual dark grey before final painting with steel, silver, etc. to highlight the detail.   Some of the bits were rather fideley (scale is 1/24th) especially the springs on top of the valve levers (very fine plastic rod wrapped around a larger piece of rodding) plus lots of nbw's (from Historex Agents here in the UK).
Les

Wow! Those look fantastic!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Bill (5th Wheel), Thanks, that's what I've been looking at doing. I don't like the plumbing up high, the flywheel is too big and the boiler firebox is awkward, but I think I can make it work.

Les, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Rail and Tie

Hi Les,

Just catching up. You did a fantastic job on the engines.  I did not mind doing mine in CAD and 3D printing, but what you did from scratch is amazing!  How is the rest of the boat progressing?
Cheers!
Darryl

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie