• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Hulett ore unloaders: informations?

Started by Bernhard, March 10, 2021, 02:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Thanks Paul. I am already curious. I have the ability to print the photos in large format in the office.

Bernhard

Bernhard

There is good news: a fellow modeler from the Steel Mill Modeling Group was able to get the plans copied and sent them to me. This is a first important step.
Paul, thanks again to you for your offer of support in this regard.
Now I have another question, because I don't know much about American railroading: are the railroad cars that were used to transport ore at that time (ca. 1910-1950) available somewhere as scale 1 models (1:32th)?

Bernhard

SandiaPaul

Bernhard....that is a good question. My guess is there is probably something close. I'm not that familiar with "gauge 1"

The bigger question is(and I do mean bigger) what are you going to do about an ore boat? Note: on the great lakes the "ships" are known as "boats"

My favorite ones were the Whalebacks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaleback
Paul

Bernhard

Paul, those whalebacks look really interesting. But I don't know if they were typically used for ore transport.
In any case, I probably won't build a complete boat, but only a short cross-section. I would have to build 4 Huletts for a complete arrangement

Bernhard

finescalerr

Bernhard, 1:32 scale never became popular in the U.S. even though a few of us tried for years to establish it. Model Die Casting offered some plastic two bay hoppers and small ore cars in the 1990s. While they may have called them "G Scale", they were actually 1:32. They could serve as a starting point for a lot of additional detailing. eBay still has some: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311&_nkw=mdc+g+scale&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=1%3A32+scale+model+railroad

The other company with 1:32 scale plastic railroad models was MTH (Mike's Train House) but they recently went out of business. I looked online but could find no appropriate hopper or, for that matter, almost anything in their now defunct "Rail King" 1:32 scale/Gauge One line.

Two or three importers offered expensive brass models, mostly of locomotives, for 1:32 scale collectors. All or most are out of business except AccuCraft Trains in California but I doubt they have the right kind of hopper car. https://www.accucraftestore.com/rs-gaugeone

I am still in contact with some 1:32 scale modelers, including the one who has tried hardest for the past 30 years to encourage manufacturers to promote the scale. If the MDC models fail to meet your standards I could  phone him for more help ... but I doubt he knows much more than I do.

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on April 18, 2021, 11:13:31 AM
Paul, those whalebacks look really interesting. But I don't know if they were typically used for ore transport.
In any case, I probably won't build a complete boat, but only a short cross-section. I would have to build 4 Huletts for a complete arrangement

Bernhard

4 Hueletts in 1/35 would be quite a sight!

Looking forward to see how this project developes, event if it is "only" a single  machine.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Russ, thanks for your information. It is a pity that the scale 1:32 finds so little interest in America. I also came across MTH during my search. Too bad that the company no longer exists. I will try to find some cars from them or from MDC at dealers or on the internet.
In this case, it is less important for me to be accurate in detail. I just want to show the process of loading the ore and the use of the shunt engines in the environment of the Huletts.

Hauk, I will of course share the project. However, there is still a long way to go before it can be realized because there is little meaningful documentation on the complex project. Unfortunately, no complete machines have survived either.

Bernhard

Hauk

Hauk, I will of course share the project. However, there is still a long way to go before it can be realized because there is little meaningful documentation on the complex project. Unfortunately, no complete machines have survived either.

Bernhard

Research is half the fun! And even if the lack of information can be frustrating, piecing together information on a prototype can give a modeling project another layer of meaning.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

I absolutely agree with you, Hauk!

Bernhard

Bernhard

@Paul
QuoteThe bigger question is (and I do mean bigger) what are you going to do about an ore boat? Note: on the great lakes the "ships" are known as "boats"

My favorite ones were the Whalebacks:

Paul, during my further research on the project, I came across this picture here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115892967@N03/30423068558/in/album-72157640696962653
It shows the John Ericsson, a steel whaleback freighter, at Ashtabula Harbor, being unloaded by Huletts.
She was built in 1896 and scrapped in 1968 after plans to preserve her in a marine museum failed.
So the Wahlebacks were indeed used to haul ore. But with the spread of Huletts, they were replaced by new, larger boats whose hatches were adapted to the Huletts.

Bernhard

SandiaPaul

Yeah...I haven't had the time but the Whalebacks were indeed used for ore. Maybe not the "iconic" lake boat for freight..but a personal favorite and used for many years. I started building one in N scale about 25 years ago. Didn't get very far. :(
Paul