• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Thanks, everybody.
Yes, the character in a small space great and Volker you can nick pick as much as you like  Russ is right you write very well. Hauk, how are we I think the  Narrow Gauge and Industrial is far too serious for me magazines usually run a mile especially when it has a lot of fine-scale content but I enjoy it when I see a copy I just don't buy it?
cheers

Hauk

Quote from: 1-32 on February 10, 2021, 02:51:03 PM
Thanks, everybody.
Yes, the character in a small space great and Volker you can nick pick as much as you like  Russ is right you write very well. Hauk, how are we I think the  Narrow Gauge and Industrial is far too serious for me magazines usually run a mile especially when it has a lot of fine-scale content but I enjoy it when I see a copy I just don't buy it?
cheers

I think you should give NG&IMR a shot. And even if the do not pay for articles, you get a free subscription! At least I did after I published my first article there.

I would never have used the forum for advertising magazines if Russ still published his books, but if I am out of line singing the praise of NG&IMR, please drop me a message, Russ. I just feel that the NG&IMR is the last paper-based modelling magazine still worth reading, and that perhaps others would be interested both in contributing and reading it. I will step down from my soapbox now. I will even go to the corner if neccesary...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

1-32

Hi Hauk how are we?
Thanks for the tip on the Industrial and Narrow Gauge a fine publication but I wonder how long it will last magazines are falling at an alarming rate Russ I think you folded at the right time and in the end, I really like posting online. It is great to have an alternative to Facebook and Insta we all use them but personally, I  am very selective about what I post there.
In the end, I find writing really difficult like how will I describe these 3 photos on my progress? Writing articles to me is a total nightmare.
cheers.

TRAINS1941

What a great thread looking forward to the water part.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

1-32

Well done Jerry you guessed it all I can think of to describe my foreshore landscape is.
A set of draws left pulled out try telling that to your average punter but really it is a new one for me.
cheers Kim

finescalerr

Kim, what is the white material you use (above) as the scenery base and to make the riverbank? Also, if it is something different, what do you use as the base for your interchangeable mini-scenes like the wall, fence, clothesline, and track roadbed? -- Russ

1-32

dboardHi Russ.
Very much a work in progress sort of making it up as I go along
The complete scene, of course, is a house and a bush railway 2 foot 610 mm gauge using code 75 rail the rail line leads to a small wharf out on the mudflat foreshore. From the edge 150 mm or 6 inches, the deepwater begins and of course, there is a boat. A while ago I posted a small module of a signal and a wooden footbridge this has been put aside and there was a picture of a great boat that went with this scene this has also been put aside.
My bases I can use up to 3 layers with the base being 6 mm plywood that what we call it in my part of the world. Then it goes to 3 mm plywood say for the base of the house or the back fence and finally cardboard. The counters you see is cheap cardboard cut and glued with white glue and sometimes taped with masking tape. The edges of the counters are thin paper glued with super glue. Further detailing will be added I like cardboard a lot very easy to cut and if it warps great.
In the final process, the whalf will be added then all these counters will be blended then the really really final processes I will post.
A friend called me a rough modeller I took it as a compliment.
cheers

WP Rayner

Kim, the NG&IR Review has always been an excellent periodical, though I must admit I am biased in that regard. I was involved with the early magazine in the mid 1990s. They were rash enough to ask me to write a column called "At the Workbench" which, in a rather boring and long-winded way, discussed the importance of proper tool selection and learning basic craftsmanship skills which could be applied to model making. The column ran for two years, 1996-97 and was dropped when Michael had to start limiting his involvement with the mag because of health issues and Roy politely implied he had no interest in continuing it.  Ancient history now, hard to believe that was twenty-five years ago.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

1-32

Hi paul.
How are we today?
Have we ever met? I was in London a couple of years ago -Narrow Gauge Expo I was showing a version of my mini large scale layout South Creek -completely a non-scale layout but so much fun I really look forward to hitting the road again with it. I was in Utrecht last year before the world went completely crazy-I wonder when exhibitions will return and what form they take.
I really like taking my model around the world and meeting people and as a result, I have made good friends especially in Germany in the meantime we log on and post.
cheers

Design-HSB

Kim, yes, that was tragic and what luck you came home well at that time. I would also like to meet you at a joint exhibition. But you are always welcome back in our house.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

WP Rayner

Quote from: 1-32 on February 12, 2021, 10:10:50 PM
Hi paul.
How are we today?
Have we ever met? I was in London a couple of years ago -Narrow Gauge Expo I was showing a version of my mini large scale layout South Creek -completely a non-scale layout but so much fun I really look forward to hitting the road again with it. I was in Utrecht last year before the world went completely crazy-I wonder when exhibitions will return and what form they take.
I really like taking my model around the world and meeting people and as a result, I have made good friends especially in Germany in the meantime we log on and post.
cheers

We are fine Kim, thanks for asking. Weathering the annual challenges of winter in Ontario. The pandemic and its accompanying restrictions have had little effect on us as we live by choice in relative isolation anyway. The only issue has been locating sources of supply for some of the more esoteric supplies I use in the workshop, always a challenge in Canada, pandemic or not. No, I don't believe we have ever met. I contributed to the Review remotely from my then home in California and haven't been in the UK since the mid 1980s. I do miss the get togethers, meets, and conventions of the 1980s and 90s, but with the passage of time, many of the modelers I knew and worked with are now long gone. This forum is the only real connection we have to the world of skilled and talented modelers and we should all be grateful to Russ for keeping it going for so long.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

1-32

Yes, the skillset here is the best.
Sorry, I just assumed that you lived in the UK but Canada very nice.
As a matter of interest, what sort of workshop do you run?
Let's face it the world is changing I really don't know what form it is going to take but I really value going online it has helped me personally dealing with the forced quarantine. Last year I made the decision that I had to get back Home quickly I had no idea then what a good decision it was but within 48 hours it was impossible.
Australia has had its borders shut for nearly a year like really shut a big shock to a country that is used to international travel. Anyway
all the best.
Kim

WP Rayner

Quote from: 1-32 on February 13, 2021, 09:11:30 AM
Yes, the skillset here is the best.
Sorry, I just assumed that you lived in the UK but Canada very nice.
As a matter of interest, what sort of workshop do you run?
Let's face it the world is changing I really don't know what form it is going to take but I really value going online it has helped me personally dealing with the forced quarantine. Last year I made the decision that I had to get back Home quickly I had no idea then what a good decision it was but within 48 hours it was impossible.
Australia has had its borders shut for nearly a year like really shut a big shock to a country that is used to international travel. Anyway
all the best.
Kim

No worries... yes, Canada is nice but we still miss our old place in the California mountains. There is something about living in the mountains that is good for the soul.
In the 90s I worked full-time as a professional modelmaker, then life interfered as so often happens and I changed direction and returned to the work force. After retiring I opened an independent CGI/animation studio which I ran until recently. I just shut down the studio, at least for commercial work. The pandemic killed business and I have been growing increasingly disenchanted with the transient intangible nature of the work. Once published, it just simply disappears into the boundless depths of the internet. I've spent the past several months rebuilding the workshop, finished up a couple of antique clock restoration projects (a sideline) and am now focusing solely on model making again.

I've noticed from news reports how tight Australia's borders have been for the past year. Canada's have theoretically been closed, but in reality have been quite porous, at least until now, finally. The biggest issue is the long land border with the U.S. which has always been open to essential traffic. Non-essential traffic has been banned for almost a year, but there has been a lot of questionably essential traffic going both ways, until next week when new tough and expensive restrictions are supposed to take effect. Fine-scale modelling supplies are very hard to get here. Most quality hobby shops have closed down, at least any that are close enough to travel to, and a lot of the materials (mostly paint and chemical related) I used to use in the U.S. are simply not available here nor can they be imported due to import restrictions. Until the land border restrictions are lifted and the border opens again for all travel, it's going to be a challenge. I spend a lot of time testing possible alternates.

Stay safe... time to get back to admiring your work!
Paul

finescalerr

If I want to move to Canada, does that mean I'd have to sneak in? Never mind. I just realized I would never live in any country that would accept me as a citizen. -- ssuR

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on February 13, 2021, 12:11:39 PM
If I want to move to Canada, does that mean I'd have to sneak in? Never mind. I just realized I would never live in any country that would accept me as a citizen. -- ssuR
You and Groucho Marx!  Actually you would be welcome as long as you don't mind driving a taxi in Toronto, basically LA of the north...

Don't bother sending me to the corner... I'm still there from years ago. I'm just hoping that some day you'll see fit to at least remove the shackles...  ;)
Paul