• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another project a V 100 or better BR 212 of the German Federal Railways.

Started by Design-HSB, March 31, 2020, 01:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

we continued with the springs for the axle swings.

These are 2 out of 8 axle springs of a brass handmade V100 that I had once bought. You can tolerate some attention.

These feathers, like everyone else, can tolerate some affection.

With a round pliers, the spring is machined to the extent that an M5 screw fits in.

Then the springs are pressed together with an M5 screw.

Now the right spring already has a cylinder shape.

Bogie08 (Helmut Schmidt)

After that, the ends could be plange-cut on both sides.

Bogie10 (Helmut Schmidt)

Control with the measuring slider and the 14mm height are achieved.

No comparison to before, isn't it?

8 pieces of finished working springs made of 2mm MS58 round material.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

Hello Karsten,

We continued with the bogie.

To the left of the model-friendly bolts and right still the hexagonal screw.

The bolt was soldered into the octagonal head with a silver solder. The head has a 1.5 mm deep milling with 3mm diameter for easier positioning. Thread M3 was previously cut on the lone 3 mm bolts. In the middle for comparison the M3 screw.

So I held the bolts during soldering.

The bolts, of course, require the appropriate fuse. The locking plate fastened with M0.6 screws can be seen on the right bolt. The mounting holes can be seen on the left bolt.

I bent the fuse plates in 2 steps in the homemade bending gauge. The fuse plate itself is milled out of 0.3 mm MS 63, because it can be edged off very well.

In order to precisely bend the fuse plates in 2 steps, I designed and built this bending gauge.

Both bends can be made one after the other, in a voltage.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

It continued with the construction of my V100.

After I have reworked the springs for the axle suspension, I have noticed that the spring abutment also does not correspond to my ideas. So I tried my 2D CAD software and redrawn the part and sent the data to my milling machine. That came out of it.

The abutments were created from a 12 x 12 mm MS58.  Now they have to be separated out, which I just did on my circular saw.

Here on the left you can still see the old abutment on the left. The cone on which the spring actually sits is missing. On the right I used the new abutment with pins for the spring. When soldering the old abutment much unfortunately the end off, because it was insufficiently fixed. I realized that I also design this part best and create 8 new parts.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

It continued with the bogs.

I already mentioned that unfortunately one had fallen off while handling the bogie. The fallen part can be seen in the middle of the picture. To the right is the outer suspension of the brake rod that had fallen off along with the part. On the far left the new parts, which Fortunately I was able to produce now according to original documents.

In order to be able to mount and align the part better, I have cut into the bogie frame M2 thread and can now screw. The suspension for the brake rod can then be easily positioned on the rear base and connected to solder.

I also attached the abutment for the spring to the frame with an M2 screw. Now the axle bearing even springs a little. So Now I want to rework all 8 axle bearings. The expert will find that there are still no reinforcements and the final stop for the suspension.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

It continues with the refurbishment and improvement of the V 100 bogion frames.

Comparison of reworked and supplemented support arm to the original.

Support arm with lateral guide. The axle bearing cover is screwed with 8 pieces M0.6 X 3 model construction screws with SW 1mm.

Now the support arm has a lateral guide like the original.

Now that the support arms are guided as with the model, I can produce axles made of stainless steel. After installing the axles in the axle gearbox, I could see that this is pleasingly quiet, but hears itself.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

It continues with the refurbishment and improvement of the V 100 bogion frames.

Comparison of reworked and supplemented support arm to the original.

Support arm with lateral guide. The axle bearing cover is screwed with 8 pieces M0.6 X 3 model construction screws with SW 1mm.

Now the support arm has a lateral guide like the original.

Now that the support arms are guided as with the model, I can produce axles made of stainless steel. After installing the axles in the axle gearbox, I could see that this is pleasingly quiet, but hears itself.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

In the new year, my V100 will continue.

The axle gearboxes are fully assembled and the gearboxes are blackened.

The stainless steel wheel discs were blasted in a stencil from both sides.

All wheel discs were also primed in the stencil from both sides.

The bogs are making good progress.

Here is a view of the finished wheel disc.
The pressing was done without any problems in the lathe.

In the meantime, two drives could be installed in a bogie. This allows me to design and adapt everything else.

View from above are the Munz ball contacts, for the current consumption recognizable.

From below, the position of the drives can be clearly seen. Now only wiring is missing and another bracket for support on the engine then there can be the first test drive.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Bill Gill

I had to read your new post several times so that the amazing range of your work could all soak into my thick skull.
"Excellent" falls short of describing the high quality of your work!

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Spectacular project!
Could you tell us who did the 3D-print, and what did it cost?
(Edit: just read that you have rejected the 3D-print, but would be interesting to know who did it, anyways)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Design-HSB

Quote from: Hauk on January 22, 2021, 12:48:59 AM
Spectacular project!
Could you tell us who did the 3D-print, and what did it cost?
(Edit: just read that you have rejected the 3D-print, but would be interesting to know who did it, anyways)

Haug, unfortunately I can't say who exactly made the pressure. I took part in an action in Germany where the components were ordered together. The printed parts came from China in excellent print quality. Unfortunately, with personally in the construction of the printed parts are too many deviations from the original. The model was originally designed for a 5 inch garden runway and was only scaled down. For example, the distance between the buffers is too small because the total bottom frame is about 6 mm too narrow. In addition, the longitudinal beams of the frame are completely missing. The bogs are actually only apertures and also very simplified. The drive gears are not encapsulated and therefore they are very much to be heard.

From frames and bogsets I will use only the following parts from the purchased kit:

8 pieces stainless steel wheel discs
4 geared motors
4 pairs of bevel gear pairs
8 pieces ball bearings

I once tried to calculate the pure cost share of the printed parts and came to about 850 €, whereby the cost for the pure locomotive housing is about 570 €.

Costs for the 3D printing are always calculated according to the required construction space.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Design-HSB

Quote from: Barney on January 22, 2021, 03:23:24 AM
Amazing - What sort of length is this beast ?
Barney
Barny, the original has a length over the buffers of 12100 mm, since I build in scale 1:22.5, my model should get 538 mm length over the buffers.

For example, my metal model will certainly have a much higher weight like the plastic model, for example, the unfinished bogie already weighs about 1200 gr.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin